IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

My handicap record is crazy. My last 10 best of 20 is actually my last 10 rounds. :-D [SPOILER=HDCP] [/SPOILER]

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, that's fantastic. Keep up the great work.

Of course you know I'm jealous, right?

GO EAST!!

Brian   

Nice! Whatever you're doing, I'd like to have some of that.

Go East, beat West.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

My handicap record is crazy. My last 10 best of 20 is actually my last 10 rounds.

Nice!  Not quite that extreme but I had a somewhat similar pattern where my good scores were heavily front loaded like that.  It's fun because you're playing with house money for awhile and can really knock the handicap down while not possibly raising it.  Of course, that is until you play 10-12 more rounds and they're not all really good.  Then you're in a mine field.

(Sorry, not going to sign off like the previous two posters ... you can probably imagine why) ;-)

(Sorry, not going to sign off like the previous two posters ... you can probably imagine why)

It's understandable :-$

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

It's understandable

Hey, quick amusing follow-up.  I just looked at my last 20 and I almost have an equally odd pattern of scores.  They alternate used-unused-used-unused all the way through, save for one that's out of sequence. :-P

Hey Jason Day's advice for hitting the driver is stuff I am working on :)

Quote:
My grip and setup are my first power keys. Notice that my spine is angled away from the target, with my left shoulder higher than my right. This puts me in position to sweep the ball off the tee for more carry. It also encourages me to drive my weight toward the ball at impact. I have a neutral grip, which means I see only two knuckles on my left hand at address, and on my right hand the crease formed by my thumb and forefinger points halfway between my chin and right shoulder. These positions allow me to rip it without worrying about a hook.

-Spin angle away from target

-Drive my weight towards ball, for me the right side

-Neutral grip

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Shot a +3 39 with a horrible feeling swing. I dont know, it was like shots would turn out one way and the swing felt different than i expect. I just felt out of balance on alot of shots. Went to the range afterwards. Got it to work out better. Need to watch the ball placement, too far back. Better to be forward. Need to watch my setup. Reverse k more with out open hips. Then keep my head down and hit the ball. With the driver i hit it much better when while in my proper spine tilt i feel like im looking at the back off the ball more instead on top of it. Feeling my head is inline with my spine tilt. When i did this i was hitting great drives. Pitching was reallt good.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a summary of the NewPort Cup

http://thesandtrap.com/t/84373/2015-newport-cup-matches-thread/216#post_1199612

Overall I think I played well from fairway in for the most part. My driver is like playing Russian Roulette right now. My miss is a slice that starts straight and ends up curving way right. Just a strange ball flight. Not sure how I kept hitting that slice. It's not like me to have a very outside to in swing path. At Ping I was measured at 4 degrees inside to out. To hit that type of slice I would have to go something like -4 degrees and keep my typical face angle. It was just confusing. I also kept popping up my 3-wood.

My short game is still a mess. I actually hit some pretty solid bunker shots for the most part. I suffered on mid range pitch shots. My putting was pretty solid for the most part.

Driver: D

Irons: B+

Short Game: D

Putting: B

I just need to keep working on making my swing more consistent. I like the direction it's going. I need to dedicate some serious time to making my short game an advantage. I will be using a lot of my practice time to really focus on my short game for the rest of the year.

Swing: I need to work on making my set up more consistent, the spine tilt with out opening my body up. I need to learn to swing shorter and slower to keep contact good, especially with the driver. I found when I tried to swing slower, or hit an easier driver I just sliced the crap out of hit. Haven't learned how to slow everything down so it matches up well. Same old stuff just making it more reliable.

Short Game: I got to stop thinning the crap out of my mid range pitches. Driving me bonkers. I know I can hit them good. My head keeps getting in my way here. My technique isn't that bad to where I should be doing this over and over again.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

The first drive at Moon Valley for the final match of the Newport Cup.

#OVERSWING :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

The first drive at Moon Valley for the final match of the Newport Cup.

#OVERSWING

It's annoying how the overswing can creep in isn't it? Also, I noticed you mentioned in one of the other threads about liking the new Ping I irons. I'm supposed to be getting mine in tomorrow so you are free to try them out up at the range during outing this Friday/Saturday.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

It's annoying how the overswing can creep in isn't it? Also, I noticed you mentioned in one of the other threads about liking the new Ping I irons. I'm supposed to be getting mine in tomorrow so you are free to try them out up at the range during outing this Friday/Saturday.

It does't creep in. I just don't try to shorten it. Probably a bit detriment to my golf game. :-P I got to try them out at PING Golf on Wednesday. I'm taking some serious consideration. First I think a fitted Ping G30 driver is going to hit the bag first :)

Stopping here will be my ultimate goal right now. Honestly, that is a very very solid position to play from.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

It does't creep in. I just don't try to shorten it. Probably a bit detriment to my golf game.  I got to try them out at PING Golf on Wednesday. I'm taking some serious consideration. First I think a fitted Ping G30 driver is going to hit the bag first :)

Stopping here will be my ultimate goal right now. Honestly, that is a very very solid position to play from.

My apologies, I had thought you worked on shortening your swing previously. As for the irons, I was pretty shocked at how much better they felt and how much better I hit them compared to even the JPX 850s I just got. Even at a slightly higher price it was a no brainer to go with them instead of the 850s again. I just spent some time testing drivers and the 815 Alpha was pretty nice, and at 270 before tax I've been putting some serious thought into whether to get it or not. However, like you, I'm really like the G30. I was already fit for it, and with the tour stiff shaft and my choice of head it's going to be 345 before tax. It's a tough decision. I may be able to talk the guy I buy all my equipment from into letting me take one of them for the weekend to use at the outing, he's usually willing to do that when he knows the person is serious about a purchase.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Driver: D

Irons: B+

Short Game: D

Putting: B

I'd pretty much concur.  With only what's on this thread to go on prior to last week for comparison, I don't have a great sample size, but just relatively, yeah, you're approaches were all kinds of solid for the most part, and you're putting was pretty danged good.  I like the stroke - you DEFINITELY don't accelerate. ;)

My apologies, I had thought you worked on shortening your swing previously.

I have been working on it :cry:

I'd pretty much concur.  With only what's on this thread to go on prior to last week for comparison, I don't have a great sample size, but just relatively, yeah, you're approaches were all kinds of solid for the most part, and you're putting was pretty danged good.  I like the stroke - you DEFINITELY don't accelerate. ;)

The Edel putter has helped with distance control a ton. Also making sure I sometimes take a larger than needed backstroke because it's easier to slow it down than speed it up.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played horrible on Saturday. Going to sit down and reassess what I need to do to stop these horrible rounds.

When I looked back on Saturday I just couldn't get consistent results with the swing. Not sure if I was not focused enough. I made nothing outside of 3 FT in terms of putting. I had some chances with some pitch shots inside of 10 FT, but just didn't sink any of them.

The swing is in a good place and shouldn't produce the results from Saturday.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

How is an overswing a bad thing? If you have a full body rotation and your grip keeps the club solid at the top of the swing, why would it be so bad? I have the same "problem" if it's a problem, anytime I start to work on keeping the swing shorter, I always remember how Bobby Jones, Snead, Younger and better Ernie Els, young tom purtzer Fred Couples. John Daly swing the club... They all have extremely fluid swings and all long hitters, my swing will get shorter in 20 years. Now I feel like embracing it.

I hate modern teaching based on flavour of the month swing (Now they all want to teach Jason Day's action, short swing lots of explosiveness... But that's how he has always swung the club, it's his own unique way of swinging.)

What are the bad shots that comes from your overswing?

I will answer your questions to the best of my knowledge and am willing to have a constructive conversation. Yet I am working on things with my swing that will make me a better golfer.  Be forewarned the likelihood of me trying anything you suggest is low because I already have a golf instructor and I have achieved great success under his instruction.

Originally Posted by ygmondoux

How is an overswing a bad thing? If you have a full body rotation and your grip keeps the club solid at the top of the swing, why would it be so bad?

It depends on a lot of things. First, How has the other parts of your body have moved compared to the length of the club head has traveled? If you fully rotate, but you allow the club to travel an additional foot in distance that is an extra foot that has to be made up in timing. My problem is when I overswing I am allowing the club to travel further, even though I have already achieved a full turn.

By saying shorten the swing, that does not mean not making a full turn.

I have a good swing. I just overswing to the point it is causing me to be very inconsistent with my ability to achieve consistent keys 4 & 5, swing path and clubface control.

I hate modern teaching based on flavour of the month swing (Now they all want to teach Jason Day's action, short swing lots of explosiveness... But that's how he has always swung the club, it's his own unique way of swinging.)

What are the bad shots that comes from your overswing?

Please don't bring this axe to grind into My Swing thread. No one is teaching me Jason Day's swing here. I am developing my own better swing based on what works for me and how I feel the golf motions I want to achieve.

The bad shots are just inconsistent contact. I have a very high clubhead speed. This means that I need to be that much more accurate or my ball goes way further offline than most others.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag