IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Please don't bring this axe to grind into My Swing thread. No one is teaching me Jason Day's swing here. I am developing my own better swing based on what works for me and how I feel the golf motions I want to achieve.

The bad shots are just inconsistent contact. I have a very high clubhead speed. This means that I need to be that much more accurate or my ball goes way further offline than most others.

I hate modern teaching based on flavour of the month swing (Now they all want to teach Jason Day's action, short swing lots of explosiveness... But that's how he has always swung the club, it's his own unique way of swinging.)

I can understand why you you'd think this would be related to Day, however this is advice many of us have received from Erik and Mike for quite awhile now. Way before Day's recent success. As Matt mentioned, it is in relation to causing timing issues when the arms/club gets long in relation to body turn. As for the miss that is the result, not sure why that matters if the fix is stopping the backswing with the arms at the same time as the body. I was standing on the practice range as Erik worked with Matt this weekend and the difference in the result with the shortened backswing and the overswing was immediate and phenominal. Considering it's a relatively "simple" change had such a major positive impact it's hard to find any reason to have a problem with it.

"Now do it one more time.... And for the rest of your life"

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can understand why you you'd think this would be related to Day.

Yea I can't understand why. Maybe I am missing a thread I didn't read :)

"Now do it one more time.... And for the rest of your life"

There we go, added a 2nd 5sk reminder paper doll

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yea I can't understand why. Maybe I am missing a thread I didn't read :)

There we go, added a 2nd 5sk reminder paper doll

I said I can understand why he said that because he's right about how when someone starts winning/doing well on tour you'll see instructors start touting swinging like that particular pro and/or people just trying to emulate that swing on their own. That's obviously not the case here, given that it's something that many of us have been told to do over the years here, but for someone as new as @ygmondoux is to the forum he probably wouldn't know that.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

@ saevel25

Quote:

The bad shots are just inconsistent contact. I have a very high clubhead speed. This means that I need to be that much more accurate or my ball goes way further offline than most others.

By watching your swing I see the awesome CHS you can generate and I don't see any disconnection between your shoulder turn and your arm swing.

I believe consistency comes from doing the same thing over and over again, I mean you already have a great swing, why don't you just stick to what you are doing and groove it? I'm just curious. I tried to change my swings way too many times and since I embraced my quirks I've been striking the ball every day a little better.

Once you have the fundamentals down, just grip and rip it. Just my 2 cents.

By watching your swing I see the awesome CHS you can generate and I don't see any disconnection between your shoulder turn and your arm swing.

I believe consistency comes from doing the same thing over and over again, I mean you already have a great swing, why don't you just stick to what you are doing and groove it? I'm just curious. I tried to change my swings way too many times and since I embraced my quirks I've been striking the ball every day a little better.

Once you have the fundamentals down, just grip and rip it. Just my 2 cents.

Look at it this way. When I shorten the swing I am able to control the clubface and path much easier. I also maintain if not gain more speed by having more consistent timing.

I do not see a negative in shortening the swing. It is also not really a major change in the swing. Compared to other things I've changed this one is the least extensive. Though it might be the most troublesome. If backswing length is the only swing key I need to think about then I am in a happy place.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

6 Iron DTL

I like what I am seeing here. I could nit pick about the backswing a bit if I wanted to, but I will not. A6 looks very solid. Hips are more open at impact. Looking much better. Head doesn't move away from the ball. Tush stays out. I would like the backswing to stop at 0:23 instead of 0:26.

6 Iron FO

Set up looks pretty good. I like the axis tilt. I like that I maintain it pretty good. Backswing length is a concern. At 0:27 I have 90-95 degrees of shoulder turn and the club is short of parallel. I would really like to have my swing stop at that position. I get kinda past parallel at tad.

FO Driver

DTL Driver

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

That super slow motion recording looks awesome. Other than the overswing it looks like you are not catching the driver with a positive AoA? Probably doesn't matter for you, however, with your swing speed. I have a feeling if you can lock in that shorter backswing you are looking at close to scratch golf. Keep up the great work.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

#Key3 :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Very solid swing, the only thing I would try to change is the way you start your rotation, you start it parallel to the ground therefore not perpendicular to your spine tilt. Your left shoulder is going up instead of down and around. As a result you take the club around you, getting in a dangerous position that could lead to getting stucked in the downswing and blocking the ball right.

I love how dynamic your downswing is.

Its getting towards the end of the year. As soon as daylight savings time hits I am pretty much out of playing golf during the week.

Now it's time to assess my game over the year.

Driver: F

I am way too inconsistent. That is mostly my own fault. Overswinging, swinging too hard. #1 priority should be to keep the ball in play. I need to get the swing to be more stable and repeatable. I need to get a go too swing that keeps the ball in play, even if it takes 15-20 yards off the drive.

Irons: B-

I am very streaky with these clubs. I can get on a good groove where I hit a ton of greens in a row then fall off the rest of the round. I don't know if this is more me not being focused or not. Probably similar to the driver, but because they are shorter I get away with it more often.

Wedges: C-

The mid-range stuff is meh. I am pretty decent from inside 25 yards. 30 yards to about 80 yards I suck.

Putting: C

I make not many timely putts. I miss too many putts inside of 10 FT. I don't three putt much, but I don't make many one putts.

Game Planning: C

I don't really leave myself easy short game shots. I don't adjust to my misses during a round. I need to know my shot zones better in terms of start lines and where the ball typically ends up.

Mental: D

I don't keep a consistent swing thought for the round. I can kinda get into the mode of pick a target and just hit the ball. I don't focus on hitting any start lines. A lot of times I just go through the motions and go and hit the ball. My focus isn't really good on the course with what I need to do.

Things I can fix  easily

1) Wedges - My Key 1 through 3 is good enough for me to be a good wedge player. I just have to actually do meaningful practice on it.

2) Putting - I need to really get better at Aimpoint and hitting my start lines. I can still struggle with consistently hitting my start lines and the center of the putter.

3) Game Planning and Mental - I need to figure out how to hit my start lines better. I need to define my shot zones more accurately. Then I need to remain focused on the course in hitting those start lines and trusting my shot. In the end I can just get lazy. I am figuring out the better you get the less you can get away with being lazy on the course.

Things I need to fix going forward

1) My golf swing - shortening the swing and being more consistent. Apply any swing changes that will help make it better. Take lessons over the winter and have meaningful practice. A local golf course allows people to use their indoor facility for what I believe is $7.00 per use. I know a local driving range stays open when they can actually go collect balls. They have a heated covered area with mats. I am thinking of asking that course if I could make them a deal on a winter pass for use of their facility.

Game Golf stats compared to scratch or better. Big time difference is GIR % and Scrambling % I don't care much for sand saves. I am pretty good at staying out of bunkers.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 9 holes with some guys from work yesterday.

Driver:

Slicing the ball

Push Slice, Pull Slice, Pull, Push Cut, Straight Slight Cut

Just all over the place in trying to get consistent ball flight on the driver. Struggling to get the shorter swing and timing.

Irons

Pretty solid. I forgot that when the ball is above your feet it tends to cause big pulls with the PW. Coupled that with trying to hit a punch shot I pull draw'd the ball. Oops. Besides that contact was solid.

Pitching

Really good. I averaged 6 FT on my pitching

Putting

Pretty good.

I ended up going 2 under on the last 4 holes.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Just some comments on the swing.

Face On

A1 - I like the set up. I am finding I am hovering the club more now than I use to. Not sure why. Just feels better. I wonder if hovering the club just makes me feel like I can take the club back with my arms closer together.

A4 (where I should stop) - Head stays pretty still. Though I start kinda leaning towards the target a bit. Green line is getting more vertical.

A5 - Really start to shift my whole body towards the target

A6 - A lot has moved laterally

A7 (see above) - Looks really good.

I kinda wonder if this was why Erik had the club next to the left side of my head. To keep me from tilting or shifting that way at A4. Probably goes into turning around that spine tilt more. His two comments were swing shorter. Feel like the club stops at shoulder height. Keep head steady turning in that tilt.

DTL

A2 - Set up is pretty good. Maybe a tad open.

A5 - In a good position. Head hasn't move away from the ball like I use to

A6 - Club is in a really good spot here.

A7 - Looking good.

Set Up Driver

Am I too upright and too far back on my heels?

Yea, I am liking how things have progressed.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Just to keep it simple I have found that golf shots reacts the same way at 75 yards as it does 175 yards. What flaws you may have will occur with a 6 iron at both speeds it's just your body's moving parts will be slower and easier to time at 75-100 yards try that it works with all shots same as the driver hit it 220 yards and watch the ball flight you said you were push slicing and hooking and were lost one day well that happens.. Timing is the forgotten element in the golf swing it is the core of everything id say 80% of it. When working on your game don't develop a Tiger woods mentality of positions and diagrams instead use your eyes see whats happening as low speed vs going after it hitting 3 great shots and seven awful ones this is ingraining poor muscle memory. Just think every bad shot you hit is a - towards your muscle memory bank and every good one is a +. It really works muscle memory is king and can be achieved at lower speed with a 75% more consistency rate. Hit 8 small shots with a full swing and full finish then hit a full out one at max yardage. I have found that I can hit a baby draw with my 5 iron perfectly as intended 135 yards then hit a full shot same line same swing just 187 yards on the button and repeat. This is sport physiology major league pitchers use it basketball players use it and is the primary training method for consistency. Whatever your method may be just go full motion lower speed 3 irons 150 yards and so on good luck.

It really works muscle memory is king and can be achieved at lowers speed with a 75% more consistency rate. Hit 8 small shots with a full swing and full finish then hit a full out one at max yardage. I have found that I can hit a baby draw with my 5 iron perfectly as intended 135 yards then hit a full shot same line same swing just 187 yards on the button and repeat.

Yep, making slow specific swings with a purpose in mind is a good thing.

There is are two good threads dedicated to that concept.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Cool it's all I do I feel like i'm never really off I go to the range and warm up with 5 irons and just repeat the process only hitting 3 out of 10 balls full on this is especially effective with the driver you would be surprised how pure a 210 drive feels over and over again.

• Administrator

I kinda wonder if this was why Erik had the club next to the left side of my head.

Yep.

Set Up Driver

Am I too upright and too far back on my heels?

Yep.

And seriously, Matt, look at those photos. Aside from the length (omitted) and the head drifting that little bit forward… what's to dislike about any of them?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

And seriously, Matt, look at those photos. Aside from the length (omitted) and the head drifting that little bit forward… what's to dislike about any of them?

Nothing much to dislike :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag