IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Went to the range after playing today. Got back to doing things slowly enough to see success in what I have to do. Any swing at the ball I made was not close to full speed, 7 iron going 100-130 yards. Some flew to about 160 yards 😇

I still saw much better results. 

I figure out that I was getting away from my good hip/torso turning motion. 

I need more feeling the torso facing away from the target. This also felt like I had more space between my arms and my chest. I wasn't really focusing on the hands/arms doing that, just something I noticed. The arms/hands didn't feel much behind me anymore. 

The good thing is, contact was flush, and nothing felt out of control. I'll keep at this level of speed for the foreseeable future. The big key is figuring out how to slow the driver swing down... :scared:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/29/2018 at 3:43 PM, saevel25 said:

I need more feeling the torso facing away from the target. This also felt like I had more space between my arms and my chest. 

This worked out really well yesterday. 

A short list - 1. Make sure the club is gripped slightly open. 2. Line up clubgace to start line, then fit stance to club. 3. Swing more like quoted above. Torso turned away from target feel. Hands away from chest more feel. 4. Make a good turn towards target.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Man I hate rounds like this. Where I miss left and right. It feels like I have no fix for it. 

Just blocking everything to the right. Like 15 degrees. 

Back to the starting board. When you thin a PW 15FT above the ground, it’s time to back away and regroup. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Notes from my range session today

Bad Shots - Cheat the turn, or getting to the finish position, by looking up early and tipping back. Club the drops in and down. Need to flip to not fat the shot. 

Good (fix) - slight change at set up, set up with spine tilt away from target more. Turn around that spine tilt, keeping a steadier head. Turn and feel lateral shit towards target. Maybe a right side scrunch feel. Hard to pick up a feel. Definitely feel hips and torso more open at impact though. When I focus on this only, face to path suffers, but I am able to correct that quickly by focusing on hitting a shot shape I want. Able to do consistently with a 7 iron, hitting 140-150 yards. 

Driver - tried the above, it does not feel like I can shift lateral and turn when at top of swing. When I do turn though I hook the ball. I feel like I’m getting no proper turning in the downswing. Legs feel like they both lose their flex into impact. Big flip feel at impact.  Even at very slow speeds the turn rates stop and the club flips at the ball. Needs lots of work. Not sure why this happens here and not with a 7 iron?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 9 holes yesterday 

i tried to hit everything at 70-80%, to keep contact good. It took some time to get use to the timing on the course. The front nine was a struggle. It didn’t help that my putting struggled. I had a few unnecessary bogies. 

Driver is still an issue. Tough to swing slower and not have the turn rates stall out compared to the irons. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Range work today

Over the top 10 yard push cut. 

Tried to shorten the swing and feel like I slow down the downswing to let my self turn better. Right shoulder feels like it goes down and forward a lot. 

Driver is just a mess. I got this straighten the leg idiocy going on. Now clue how to stop this. 

not sure what I need to work on, Backswing? It looks like I’m decently open at impact. The swing path is killing my ball flight. Lots of weak cuts. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Matt, best your swing has looked in awhile, and no reason you can't play good golf with this.

It's not "over the top" at all, really. A little bit with the driver, but even there, barely.

01 Matt.jpg

Green line is where the club was in the frame before since A6 is missed by a little.

02 Matt.jpg

Lines here show the path down and then you can see the clubhead traveling up about the same line.

Here's what I'd work on now (keep doing the right shoulder feeling) too:

03 Matt.jpg

Part of that cupping is because you have to with a stronger grip, so consider weakening the grip slightly and then feeling the palmar flexion feeling.

You won't need much of either. Success (overdone) is the ball starting left and likely drawing (sometimes a lot of both). Just dial it back a little from there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

Matt, best your swing has looked in awhile, and no reason you can't play good golf with this.

I have been, a lot of that has come from my short game and putting being better. Still, my GIR% is higher. 

Maybe it's more on how I focus on the course. The wheels sometime fall off for me.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Part of that cupping is because you have to with a stronger grip, so consider weakening the grip slightly and then feeling the palmar flexion feeling.

You won't need much of either. Success (overdone) is the ball starting left and likely drawing (sometimes a lot of both). Just dial it back a little from there.

I'll give it a try.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

So, note to self.. Do not try out things on the course if you haven't tried them out on the practice range. 😇

After my 9 holes today, I went to the range. I wanted to find my balance again and work a bit on the weakening of the grip and the Palmar Flexion. 

Some notes,
1. Slow and shorter backswing feel
2. Palmar flexion happening in transition. 
3. Do a good turn through with the right side

For the most part I was hitting very slight push draws or straight cuts. Happy with the results. What was really good, I could do this at slow speed (hitting 7 irons 120 yards). The flight was the same, neutral with not much curve. 

The only thing that creeps in is my head tiling back and down a bit. Or at least what feels like it. When I do that, I end up hitting a shot fat instead of flush. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Driver swing is out of control right now. Having big misses right. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Notes for the Driver

1. Set up with a bit more hip bump towards target at address. Feel weight more under front foot. Feels like the left hip/glut is engaged more. 
2. Make sure the hands are not too high at address
3. Turn torso away from target, still a good turn. 
4. Turn towards target, right side through. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Driver - Struggled a bit off the tee. I had the lefts with my driver.

Irons - Were pretty good when I had an opportunity. 

Short Game & Putting - Pretty good. 

Backswing felt super fast for full swing shots. I struggled to get a good turn through the ball. 

I also need to watch my set up. A few times I was aimed too far right. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

12 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Driver - Struggled a bit off the tee. I had the lefts with my driver.

Trying out what I did on the range. I had these results.

Hole 10 - Slight pull draw
Hole 11 - Topped
Hole 14 - Straight Hook
Hole 18 - Straight Hook

The hooks didn't feel like how I hooked the ball before. It didn't feel like I was falling backwards at all. The strike was really well. The ball flight was about 75% the normal ball height, started straight, then curved about 30-40 yards left.

So, the dynamic loft was lower, the face was square-ish to the target line, the path was to much from the inside. So, maybe what I wanted to try out is producing a swing path too much from the inside.

The good thing is, it seems to work well with irons and my hybrid off the tee.

Hole 12 - Slight push draw
Hole 15 - Slight pull cut
Hole 16 - Slight toe push

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some video from the range

Face On

I think the grip is too strong. Maybe too much spine tilt at impact? The ball flight was super high. 

DTL

Good to see the swing shorter. Could be more open at impact. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

We've talked about this a few times @saevel25. You cross the line at the top, and compensate by rolling the club in.

Eventually (maybe now, but not at all now if you're trying to do three other things, still, that aren't baked in), you'll need to be more laid off (feeling) and then more "over the top" (feeling).

This problem is probably much worse the longer the club.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yea, that makes sense and stands out a bit in the video.

I wont work much at it until I get my right side stuff better.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

I wont work much at it until I get my right side stuff better.

Good. Right.

Just play pushes until then. So yeah, watch your grip "strength."

Ok, I’ll open the clubface more so I don’t hook the ball. I’ll try to play a push to push fade. 

I’ve been trying to find a more consistent ball flight. I think this would work better. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag