IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

• Administrator
The first sentence is a matter of opinion.

That's kind of why I said "I think…" I'm just saying this: What's popular is not always best. What's best is not always popular.

Credentials don't matter much to me. I'm a big fan of the information. In my experience, people win awards more for politics and marketing than quality of information.

But now I'm repeating myself, and I hate doing that.

You are misunderstanding the swinging straight back. See the last photo I posted of Paul Casey. Taking the club head straight back until it naturally lifts off the ground.

I'm not going to belabor the point, but the clubhead moves back, up, and in. It is never traveling straight back. It's a 3-dimensional arc.

Feel ain't real so the feel may work, but I haven't ever really had that feel work for anyone, and I don't think it will work at all with Matt.

Believe it or not, I do hit the ball solidly more often than not. Do I mess up or mishit or hit more toward the toe or heel sometimes? Yes, of course. But I am a much better ball striker than you give me credit for. Which is understandable, you don't know me nor have you seen my swing. I would caution you to start making assumptions on things you truly do not know about.

Golf is my job, and you'll also note that I said "I doubt." That is not the same thing as saying I "know" or I'm "certain."

Also, what's "thin" is thin, and what is "fat" is fat. If you didn't strike the ball properly, you didn't strike the ball properly.

You missed the point.

I could hit a shot that feels "thin" to me because I knew it was a half a groove low, and it might feel super solid to someone who doesn't break 90 with regularity. I've caught a 7-iron slightly heavy (a few blades of grass?) that land on the front of the green, and playing partners were impressed, but I knew it was slightly mis-hit.

I just remembered… you're the guy who hits it better than a PGA Tour player from 150?

Let's just move on, eh? Matt is comfortable with what he's doing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's kind of why I said "I think…" I'm just saying this: What's popular is not always best. What's best is not always popular.

Credentials don't matter much to me. I'm a big fan of the information. In my experience, people win awards more for politics and marketing than quality of information.

But now I'm repeating myself, and I hate doing that.

I'm not going to belabor the point, but the clubhead moves back, up, and in. It is never traveling straight back. It's a 3-dimensional arc.

Feel ain't real so the feel may work, but I haven't ever really had that feel work for anyone, and I don't think it will work at all with Matt.

Golf is my job, and you'll also note that I said "I doubt." That is not the same thing as saying I "know" or I'm "certain."

You missed the point.

I could hit a shot that feels "thin" to me because I knew it was a half a groove low, and it might feel super solid to someone who doesn't break 90 with regularity. I've caught a 7-iron slightly heavy (a few blades of grass?) that land on the front of the green, and playing partners were impressed, but I knew it was slightly mis-hit.

I just remembered… you're the guy who hits it better than a PGA Tour player from 150?

Let's just move on, eh? Matt is comfortable with what he's doing.

I never claimed that. As you are stating carefully chosen adjectives, so did I. I said I almost hit the green on my approach shots 150 and in (8 iron-SW). That does not mean every time, nor does it mean it is close to the pin. You were the one to pull up those PGA stats to take my claim beyond its context. I do agree we should move on. It's getting redundant as you have stated. I'm glad Matt is comfortable with what he's dong. I hope whatever it is works out for him.

Like I said in a previous post and someone agreed with me; you guys like to take something and run with it.

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

• Administrator
I never claimed that.

Yes you did. You claimed to hit the green "almost every time" ( or something like that ) despite PGA Tour players averaging 7 out of 10 being top ten (or something). I'm on my phone so I won't look it up but you said something like "almost every time." Either way, it's off topic for this thread. This thread isn't about you.

Like I said in a previous post and someone agreed with me; you guys like to take something and run with it.

That "thing" is good information. Matt, post some good PRACTICE video soon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok today was working on that backswing piece. So for me, I was trying to feel more connected with my arms. I also wanted to delay my hands raising up. Basically I wanted to get more from my turn. So the feeling that works pretty good is as follows,

1) keep left arm pressure to chest

2) Try to feel like the back of the right wrist travels up the swing path longer. This could be also a feeling of not changing the angle in my wrists from what they were at address. I tried to get my hands a tad lower at address than before, just to preset that wrist angle more. I might go back to @mvmac 's Matt Kuchar drill to help isolated this feeling more. I find it helps with the posture to. I forget to make sure that I am not looking down the bridge of my nose, head down Matt!!!

3) As for the backswing, I don't feel much but just no arms and all turn. The feeling I want at A3 would be my right elbow is away from my right chest more, and in front of the chest more. This is not a swing thought,  as in actually try to feel during the swing, but more of a check for practice. To simulate this feel, I like doing @mvmac (Mike)'s drill below, I can really isolate that feel better.

I thought some of those practice swings were pretty good. I was doing 3-4 practice swings per ball strike. Some times, I would just swing with out a ball there.

I was catching a lot of the strikes thin. By thing I mean like maybe 1 groove too thing. They still went pretty good, just clanky. This is a tempo, timing thing. I found when when I try to swing at 75% I do much better. For me that would be saying, One-Two in a slow fashion. That would be the tempo in stead of saying it fast.

I'll keep up this practice, I like how some of the practice swings turned out.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Man, you're never going to get the club into the position you want with that setup. You're error in your setup is extremely obvious.

Man, you're never going to get the club into the position you want with that setup. You're error in your setup is extremely obvious.

Apparently not , so please enlighten me :hmm: .

SERVICE NOTICE!!!

To those who post in swing threads and other information threads. PLEASE do not post ambiguous post like this one above. For one, including myself, I have no clue what @Pave is talking about. Second, even if I did, some others might not. So PLEASE explain in detail what you mean. Assumptions like, "is extremely obvious", is not conducive to instruction or discussion on the golf swing. Thank You!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I've told you where your problem is, you video your swing all the time, you get instruction, surely you can work it out. BTW it'll show up more face on, however, the results of it can be clearly seen in your take away which is why it is so obvious. You're sort of on the right track re: left arm away from body, but you're trying to fabricate a workaround rather than fixing the cause. I'm not going to tell you any more, you work it out. If you need help, go and read Nick Bradley's book (Law 2), it's in there somewhere.

What a dick response @Pave .-Guy asked you to be specific and you just keep on with this "it" nonsense. WTHell is up with that? Are you in third grade? Neener neener I know something you don't and Im not telling?[quote name="Pave" url="/t/34167/my-swing-saevel25/144#post_986878"]I've told you where your problem is, you video your swing all the time, you get instruction, surely you can work it out. BTW it'll show up more face on, however, the results of it can be clearly seen in your take away which is why it is so obvious. You're sort of on the right track re: left arm away from body, but you're trying to fabricate a workaround rather than fixing the cause. I'm not going to tell you any more, you work it out. If you need help, go and read Nick Bradley's book (Law 2), it's in there somewhere.  [/quote] Is there a full moon out or something?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I've told you where your problem is.

Umm, see the quote below, no you haven't. I am going to assume you are just get a bit senile in old age here. If not please explain further. I am asking for a CLEAR explanation. If you are not willing to give on, then you should remove the "Instructor/Pro" from your account, because you are horrendous at giving any sort of coherent explanation of any sort of instruction you want to give.

The sad thing is, I think you actually believe what you talk about, which is absolutely nothing of substance.

Sadly that is a horrid answer to the question. So unless you want to actually not act like you know nothing about the golf swing, please explain further.

SERVICE NOTICE II

I usually do not answer questions like this with such sarcasm. I am hopping @Pave actually answers my question, then he can move on to other areas of the forum, and away from the Member Swings where he is out of his league a bit. So to those who want to post about my swing or ask question, in no way is my response to @Pave any indication on how I will respond to you, so please feel free to comment. Thank You!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

@mvmac or @iacas

I was just looking at this image. And seeing a pretty good gap between my left arm and my chest. Would keeping the left arm more tight to the chest help with turn rates?

Swings you just posted were much better from A1-2. Obviously Erik and Dave are working with you and have a better knowledge of your game but I'll just point out how rotated your left forearm is in this pic and how much less rotated it is in the swings from today. It also looks like it's working "away" from you and def not in sequence with your pivot. I think the three swing feels you posted below certainly helped.

1) keep left arm pressure to chest

2) Try to feel like the back of the right wrist travels up the swing path longer. This could be also a feeling of not changing the angle in my wrists from what they were at address. I tried to get my hands a tad lower at address than before, just to preset that wrist angle more. I might go back to @mvmac's Matt Kuchar drill to help isolated this feeling more. I find it helps with the posture to. I forget to make sure that I am not looking down the bridge of my nose, head down Matt!!!

3) As for the backswing, I don't feel much but just no arms and all turn.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Just some more practice videos. The those three feelings are working pretty good. Another one that seems to work well, and it works on shortening the swing is feeling my right elbow is pushed away from my body more. It really feels like I am pushing the grip away from my body to get it out in front of my chest more. When I get to that feeling at the top of the swing I can start down because I know that I am near or just past A4, and I don't want to go further because then I'll just overswing and cause my right arm to collapse back in.

As for contact. Really Really improving now. Especially when I don't over swing. I had a sign down range that read 265 I was aiming at. A lot of my flights were just striping towards that sign. I had a few shots that might have been pushed slightly right of it. I only had 1-2 hook shots out of 51 golf balls. So, that is a big plus, because that was a shot I was not happy with having.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Those swings look awesome bud I wish my downswing looked like that very smooth.

Probably the next piece after the backswing is this on. Getting my hips more open at impact. Above is Louis Oosthuizen on the left, and me on the right. Need to see more of that left butt cheek in the DTL image.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Sweet it looks like your doing really well with the back swing bud keep it up. Your progress is inspiring.

Backswing piece will get there i promise. I was working on shortening my swing and i know how hard it is. i found it helpful to just keep making backswings without a club during the day. (Ideally when no one is looking. I did it every time i went to the bathroom in the mirror :-D ).

Henry

So played in my league tonight. Let me say how this went down

Double, Bogey, Bogey, Double, Bogey, Bogey, Bogey, Bogey, Double

Driver: Hook, Hook, Hook, Hook, Hook, Push Draw, Push

Irons: Straight Draw, Thin, Thin Push, Thin Push, Thin Push

Pitching: Fat, Flyer, Thin, Fat,

Putting: 17 putts

Tonight I actually tried to go out there and just play, didn't work to well. Couldn't get any continuity in the golf swing. Timing felt off on every shot. Was just snap hooking drives, thinning irons (not bladed, just clankish). Putting was actually pretty decent. 17 putts isn't that good, bu I didn't put myself in great spots, and my distance control was really good. Just didn't get many to fall.

So yea, back to practicing!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Ok decided to go to the range tonight. I was focusing on the backswing part, as well as the first three keys. I know it's adding a bit more than my priority piece, but I need to really work on the over swinging and keeping my head still. Also I just wanted to get the feel of solid contact again. I know I got a swing in there somewhere, I need to find it.

So the first third of the bucket was working on the backswing. The next third was working on taking full swings but making sure I rotation my shoulder down as my initial movement instead of moving my hands. I get too handsy too early and all the keys go to hell, and my turn rates get F'd up.

By the end of the range session I was hitting some good shots down range. Here is a summary of what I was feeling.

Preshot, keep head down. I get stuck in the old set up (head too up). Need to make sure I am looking DOWN at the ball.

1) start swing with shoulder turn on a good incline, feel connected.

2) stop backswing at a 3/4 swing feel, basically when the shoulders stop rotating. Feels like a slight raise of the hands towards the end of the turn, and the hands stay more infront of the chest at the top of the swing.

Once I do that it really is automatic swinging through the ball. When you get that turn, on a good incline, you really only have one option but to fire through the ball. At least for me this is how it ends up. Which is good because when I think about driving my arms down I get steep and flippy. When I get that good turn and just fire through with the hips, things just fall into place better.

The good thing was, I was hitting some really good shots down range. I just needed a confidence booster I know what the hell I am doing. I really need to find a move that will trigger a good swing. For me I think its going to be that shoulder turn down. Then just make sure its a 3/4 swing feel and let it rip.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

That's so funny that's exactly what I feel especially with my irons when I'm hitting good iron shots. It's weird how it feels like its not a full swing but it really is. I'm happy to hear you found something at the range. I would love to be at the point you are. Like I said above you look very very smooth.