IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

• Administrator
7 hours ago, saevel25 said:

What I am working on now is the pitch of my shoulders at address.

Through impact and into the follow-through, you meant.

But yes, your backswing, your transition, etc. was as good as it's ever been, really. And is particularly good since it comes without any real thoughts.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, iacas said:

Through impact and into the follow-through, you meant.

Oops!, you are correct.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the range for the first time this year. 

I’d rank it as a C. Still trying to work out the flatter shoulder feel. I think a good feel is left shoulder lower and behind me more. I’m worried this will lead to my head tipping back, or I’m not transferring my weight good. 

My driver was a big struggle. I think it’s due to my swing length. I’ll try to work on that as well my flatter shoulder plane. With a normal driver backswing, I am 90% staling my turn rates and flipping my driver. With a shorter, feeling the driver is parallel to the ground as my compete backswing length. I don’t feel like I am flipping at all. My arms feel way more extended going into the finish. With out really focusing on it. 

Ill try to get video next time. 

My goals are to work on backswing length and try to figure out a good feel for the flatter shoulder pitch at impact. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Just reviewing my images from the previous lesson as a refresher.

Irons
1. Less focus on backswing. I might get caught up in my backswing stuff to much.
2. Left shoulder rotates more around and lower. This seems to work well.
3. If swing gets a bit flippy then try to hold the feel the arms extended more into finish.

I might see if feeling more left hip back and around helps facilitate this turn. I might play with a weaker grip a bit. I just get the feeling that I need to turn more when I have a weaker grip.

Driver
1. Definitely focus on the shorter backswing feel. It just helps so much with contact. It feels strange, because there is little to no wrist hinge, but I might just be use to excessive wrist hinge due to over swinging.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

(edited)

With the flatter shoulder plane that you mention on your driver, do you feel that you get a little steep and cramped which leads to the feeling that you need to flip in order to keep from hitting the ground and that is why you are trying to feel like it's more flat and around? I ask because that is the way I feel quite often with the driver and I'm curious to see your results of the flattening feel.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Just reviewing my images from the previous lesson as a refresher.

Yes, yes, yes! KISS. Do the one thing at a time.

Be a really stupid monkey. You have to more than some other people - I can handle thinking about maybe three things. You're best with literally one. (And even I don't mean three things at once - I just mean three things I bounce between from session to session.)

33 minutes ago, TN94z said:

With the flatter shoulder plane that you mention on your driver, do you feel that you get a little steep and cramped which leads to the feeling that you need to flip in order to keep from hitting the ground and that is why you are trying to feel like it's more flat and around? I ask because that is the way I feel quite often with the driver and I'm curious to see your results of the flattening feel.

HIs "flatter" feeling is his shoulders around impact and into the follow-through. It's not a flatter swing plane or something.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

HIs "flatter" feeling is his shoulders around impact and into the follow-through. It's not a flatter swing plane or something.

I mis-spoke when I said swing plane. I did realize he was referring to his shoulders. Apologize for that.

So would that not translate into a steeper or more shallow swing? Just trying to picture it in my mind..

Bryan A

48 minutes ago, TN94z said:

Do you feel that you get a little steep and cramped which leads to the feeling that you need to flip in order to keep from hitting the ground and that is why you are trying to feel like it's more flat and around?

The flip for me is because my turning stalls out at impact.

As Erik said, It's not the swing plane, but my shoulder tilt at impact. PGA Tour players are around 40 degrees at impact.

The pros in the study averaged 39 degrees of upward tilt at impact; high-handicappers 27.5 degrees.

GolfTec-swing-study-analysis-tout.jpg

GolfTEC tested 30,000 players to find out what makes a great swing great

I have 63 degrees of shoulder tilt. Just working a short bit with Erik I got it to 53.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

As Erik said, It's not the swing plane, but my shoulder tilt at impact. PGA Tour players are around 40 degrees at impact.

I have 63 degrees of shoulder tilt. Just working a short bit with Erik I got it to 53.

My hips stall at impact as well and I have early extension and a flip. That is why I was asking. I am working on some priority pieces leading up to impact to resolve this. I was just curious for my own understanding. Great work in here!

Bryan A

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Slightly different measurement there. They're talking about the face-on measurement from horizontal.

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

Slightly different measurement there. They're talking about the face-on measurement from horizontal.

Oops

Ok, I found a video showing Justin Thomas has a shoulder tilt just past impact of 49 degrees. :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Oops

Ok, I found a video showing Justin Thomas has a shoulder tilt just past impact of 49 degrees. :whistle:

Yeah.

You won't find many that are 63°. 🙂

• Administrator

I have JT videos where it's the same 63° or so… but his swing plane is a lot more upright than yours. We've messed with being more upright in the past but your body does NOT like that.

01.jpg

Also notice how open he still manages to get his hips and chest/torso. Despite his face still looking at the ground.

From a range session today. 

I think I’m starting to figure things out.

“Backswing - turn around spine tilt. Feel like the elbows are a tad closer together. Stop worrying about hinging as much. Just trying to make it less thinking, simpler. 

Downswing - combination of increasing the depth of the left hip joint (back and around) with turning the right shoulder towards the target. I have a bad habit of goat humping and ending up tilting the right shoulder down. I like the feeling of gaining width in the legs and turning the right shoulder towards the target. I’m trying to stay in my spine tilt better and turn shallower. I feel like this makes it easier to turn better. 

I’m terms of shops patterns. If I do stall I end up hitting weak cuts to the right. If I do things well I hit very neutral draws.”

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

I like those thoughts. Simplify the backswing - it's pretty good - great job there. Then you know what you're looking for on the follow-through, and the feels will shift over time, but the above looks good.

A few videos of my swing today. Overall not overly successful in trying to fix my turn. 

I can feel myself stall out and in some cases feel like my head falls backwards at impact. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Ok, had some time to review. 

I’m Thinking to keep working on making the backswing shorter. There is a point in the backswing where I can feel the club go past parallel. I feel it in my right arm. I think it’s better if I feel the club more in front of my body at A3 to A4.

I do ponder if my shoulder turn in the backswing is too shallow. Just a thought now, but won’t concentrate on it.

As for the downswing, I think maybe I should focus more on the hips as my feeling for the turn. I tried the left shoulder back and flatter, or the right shoulder around more, but I just feel my body stall out and I flip at the ball. That might be the backswing length making it extremely difficult to get the club down in front of me. 

I’ll still try to find a feeling that I can use to get my shoulder pitch better. 

On a side note, I decided to measure my shoulder width. I put tape on my alignment stick. I found that my stance is really too narrow. I wonder if that is causing instability in the swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some Analyzr Screenshots. I tried to limit this to just specific to my piece. 

Some questions on set up, maybe I am too close to the ball and my hands are too low for a 6 iron? I know my head could be tilted down more. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 9.16.18 PM.png

I was curious to compare myself to Justin Rose. His swing is similar-ish to mine. 
My swing at A3.5-ish
090302-Comparison.jpg
My swing at transition versus Rose's
090302_Comparison A4.jpg

Overall, I just need to keep it shorter. I will type it as many times as necessary to keep reminding myself 😉

Post impact position
Rose gets his head back to the address position going into the finish. His head does travel down and away from the ball a bit during the downswing. It doesn't tip down and towards the ball like mine does just after impact and more-so going into the finish. 
090302-Post impact.jpg

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what I think could get me to do this piece better. I thought maybe if I could notice something that stands out between mine and Rose's swing. 

Here is the right shoulder path. the green dots is the club head path. The red dots are the shoulder path. So, the shoulder path issue is definitely starting in transition. The right shoulder starts on a much steeper path than Rose's does from that point. 

030902 - shoulder path.jpg

I need to focus more on a making it flatter earlier. I don't think focusing on my hips would be the way to go since the hips can get open and the shoulders can get steep. I will try to see if controlling my head movement and my right and left shoulder movements will flatten the shoulders out. 

Something else I noticed was my head turns away from the target starting at A3 to A4. I wonder my head rotation away from the target would cause any issues. I wonder if the head needing to turn back to wards the ball and then towards the target is causing it to shift down so much. Just curiosity. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag