IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

• Administrator

Unless you have 90+ degrees of neck rotation… it has to rotate some.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

Unless you have 90+ degrees of neck rotation… it has to rotate some.

Fair point

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Some Videos of the swing

Old Posture

New posture
Trying to feel more upright at address with my head down so I am looking at the inside of the ball. The more upright posture helped my contact a lot. It eliminated the toe shot for me. The feel for this set up is like shoulders are super rounded forward, and I barely bend at the waste. I think it looks more relaxed and balanced.

Some Screenshots
I need to stop this wonky head movement. It's probably associated with my turn. The head goes back (away from the ball) and down from A1 to A5. the head goes down and towards the ball at A5 to A9
040319 Head Movement.jpg
Here is the shoulder path
The red path is on a decent path until wonky things happen. Kinda mimics the head movement... hmm...  

I still think it starts on a steepish motion, but it starts to flatten out. The green path is what I think it should be. I need to somehow stay more upright or keep the right shoulder higher into the finish. 
040319 - shouler path.jpg

On a side note, I particularly hate this backswing position, but I am trying really hard not to care 😉 

040319 - blah.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator

Right - don't care.

Good.

Matt, do you know the "Tiger practicing swinging well to the left" videos? You remember what those looked like? What does it feel like when you do those?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Matt, do you know the "Tiger practicing swinging well to the left" videos? You remember what those looked like? What does it feel like when you do those?

That video does not come to mind. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, iacas said:

"Tiger practicing swinging well to the left" videos

The only thing I could find is this video, 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Yeah, that's a bit exaggerated, but that.

Right shoulder stays "higher" and rotates around left.

Like my upper body is moving way far forward (towards the target). That is the biggest feel I get. I don't particularly feel the rotation, I feel more the lateral movement. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

A little of the feeling of your upper body going forward wouldn't be the worst thing.

Look, just stand in front of a mirror and keep the right shoulder higher and swing slowly down, and see what it feels like.

The rest of your swing is good. This is your one piece right now. Clubhead goes right a bit, body rotates left a bit, ball comes off in the middle.

Gotcha

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

To Self! :-P

untitled.png

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played the first time this year. 

I struck the ball decently. 44% GIR and 23 Putts. The greens were aerated and in poor condition. 

I tried to incorporate the feel of the higher right shoulder and more turn (body forward at impact). Overall not bad. I would grade it as a B-. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Practiced putting today. I made a few mental notes. 

1. Head down more, so better posture. 

2. Try to follow the club with my peripheral vision more. 

Besides that the putting fixed it self pretty well. The thing I am struggling with is lining up on my line. I want to aim right of my target line. Not that I want to aim my putter right, I want to aim my entire body right. I could line up feet first or putter first, I’m lining up right. 

On Short Pitching (inside 20 yards) 

I struggle a ton with low point control. I am hitting 1-2 inches behind the ball now matter where I place the ball in my stance. Sometimes I’ll pull shots and engage the leading edge or I will hit 1-2 inches behind the ball and hit these duffy shots that get pushed way right. 

On Chipping

This was much easier to get some consistency in. A feeling I like is my hands coming forward with my turn instead of just focusing on the pivot turn. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

53 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

A feeling I like is my hands coming forward with my turn instead of just focusing on the pivot turn. 

I Reviewed this thread, 

Maybe I need to be a more "Paint Brush / Floaty" feeling in transition to the downswing motion. I'll keep reviewing this to try to get a better sense of the pitching motion. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Another range session

Initial

After

Backswing - keeping it simple with maintaining a steady head and turn.

Downswing - Feeling the right palm get down faster at the ball with the right shoulder. I still need to work a tad on the flatter shoulder. The right palm forward more doesn’t carry the shoulder turn past impact. I need to continue turning the body.

I also worked on Pitching. The paintbrush/Floaty feel works good. I’ve been trying to use less hand movement on shorter pitches. This is also a pivot/rotation issue for me. Seems like a theme 😜

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

A bit on the putting. I set up a gate drill on a straight putt. I threw down some markers at the toe of my shoes to see how I am lining up. I found out that I am aiming well. My feet are parallel to my target line. But, right now I feel like I am aiming outside right edge on an 8 FT straight putt. A straight putt will feel like I am pulling the putt slightly. Oh, I made 8 8-Ft putts in a row thru the gate drill 😉

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some pitching/chipping notes

- Setup with the head down more (looking at the ball).
- For a chip, rock the shoulder motion. Feel like the right palm and right shoulder is what is pivoting. It feels like the right palm is down more in the downswing. 
- For a pitch, way more wrist hinge, compared to hand movement. Feel the paintbrushing motion. Feel that more in the right palm facing the ground more to start the downswing. Then let gravity take over from there. I need to feel the pivot be more around and not lateral. I don't want to shift the body towards target and not pivot(turn) at all. 

Overall things progressed really fast. Contact was really consistent. 

Putting
- Same as above, head down more at set up. 
- A bit more forward press at set up. 
- A bit more toe rotation in the downstroke to stop the heel strikes and pushes. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Good stuff. I love coming in here just to read the specific notes from your practice sessions. It makes me see how much I slack on actually paying attention to my sessions.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"