IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

1 hour ago, TN94z said:

Good stuff. I love coming in here just to read the specific notes from your practice sessions.

Thanks

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some Pitching, 

Some Shoulder Turn Practice

DTL - 7 Iron
The primary backswing feel is a 3/4 turn, and keeping the club stably at A4
The primary feel for this swing is left hip going directly backward and right shoulder going forward a bit. 
I might add staying more over the ball more with the left hip back. 

Driver Swing

Driver Swing (2)
I tried to have the same iron swing feel for the backswing, but it's tougher to keep it shorter. This is something I'll work more on. I'll also try to make the backswing staying over the ball more. 

For the downswing, this one I am trying to add in knee flex, almost a squat feeling. I stand up way too much in with the driver swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Something I added, for the backswing I try to look at the back of the ball and keep looking at the back of the ball. 

Downswing is still the rotation feels, left hip and right shoulder higher. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I think I set a new record

BF382A78-C15D-4689-A682-48F72DC5A979.png

I would say 60% of that came on hole 9. I was just not caring anymore with my short game for the round. 

I did care enough to practice a bit. I think for shorter pitching I need to be more rocking shoulder motion with very lax wrists. That seemed to help when I wasn’t right around the green. Im 99% sure I’m taking way to much of a backswing on short pitches. My good struck pitches are always really long. I’m hoping I figured this out. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Ok time for some serious reflection.

I need to stop caring about strike results when working on my swing. I need to compartmentalize my practice versus my playing and not let myself get upset about the shot result when my focus isn't on producing a good shot, but making a swing change. I can definitely get into the habit of assigning result of the ball strike with how well I do something for a swing change. It can quickly downward spiral into getting frustrated.

Time to simplify my thoughts.

Backswing
Keep my head looking at the ball. 
Make a shorter backswing. The feel that works for me is stopping my hands more out in front of my chest.

Downswing
Still trying to figure out something that is consistent. It ranges from left shoulder back and lower. Right shoulder higher and more forward. Left hip back. I'm going to test out which feel produces the best results and go with that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Backswing - Keeping the head more stable, turning around my tilt better. 

Downswing - left shoulder going back and lower with my left hip back and lower. Left side turning flatter. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Ok time for some serious reflection.

I need to stop caring about strike results when working on my swing. I need to compartmentalize my practice versus my playing and not let myself get upset about the shot result when my focus isn't on producing a good shot, but making a swing change. I can definitely get into the habit of assigning result of the ball strike with how well I do something for a swing change. It can quickly downward spiral into getting frustrated.

Two things:

• You're just now realizing this?
  • I'm glad you're realizing this at least now. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

43 minutes ago, iacas said:

Two things:

• You're just now realizing this?
  • I'm glad you're realizing this at least now. 🙂

It’s not having mindfulness. 😊

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Putting, 

closer stance. Feat less flares. Right index finger less down the grip more under the putter. Toe open slightly in back stroke. Close toe slightly in the forward stroke. 

Short pitching,

More putting stroke pivot feel. Keep right elbow closer to the body. Let the wrist hinge from the pivot motion. 

Keep knees from bending and dipping, this mostly is controlled by pivot towards target.

Feel a lag as the pivot pulls the hands down as the club is still moving back. 

Let gravity take over. Don’t add flip. With the wrist. 

Longer pitches

Just like shorter but slightly longer and quicker shorter pitching motion. 

Chipping,

More forward press. Feel like the forward press is maintained through out the hit.

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Backswing - keeping head steadier more over the ball. 

Downswing - Feeling of starting the downswing sooner. Same feel of right shoulder higher and turning more. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

That doesn't look too bad there Matt.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Post round evaluation

Full Swing Grade: C, I was spraying shots bit, but I know its because I wasn't doing my piece well enough. I need to start my downswing transition sooner and be better with getting my upper body rotated and forward more. My big misses were hanging back pushes out right or toe shots. I feel confident that things are going in the right direction. 

Pitching Grade: B-, No extra short game shots required is an automatic C or better 😉. Contact was good, distance control was meh. Getting a bit more confident though. I need to continue to hit pitches with speed. I can sometimes want to control the shot by slowing things down and use my hands instead of my turn. 

Putting Grade: B+, This is going really good. I feel like I got my aim much better and using my shoulders a bit more than my hands has helped my distance control.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Updating my feel. I was struggling a bit early at the range today.

So my feel  of starting transition sooner needs to incorporate a shorter backswing feel. I can let the turn and arms go too far and then all the bad habits show up. 

At fast backswing pace it feels like I make a third of the backswing in terms of rotation and arm movement before transition. 

At slower speed it feels like everything goes about half as much. This really allows me to turn forward more and stay shallower. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

2565647_DqxTDWgl.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

Driver - Struggling to hit the center of the club face. I am hitting a lot of low heel cuts. The best drive came in the afternoon 9 hole two man scramble, on the last drive. I finally hit the center of the club face with a neutral ball flight. My issue is the swing feels super fast (high close rate), and I feel like I am not able to turn well through the ball. Basically, when I feel like I shorten the swing I hit a nasty heel cut. 

Full swing - My main issue is I want to do my piece well, but I sometimes forget to even turn at all. I end up hitting pull shots or weak cuts. Then there are times when I just swing super hard and fast because it feels like it gets my right side through the bal. This usually leaves me hitting a few grooves thing with no distance control.  Then there are times when I am able to swing in control. I hit a really solid golf shot. This usually happens only with my short irons. 

Overall with the full swing, I feel like the swing is getting long, and I just struggle with the right side feel. 

Shortgame is atrocious. I am outright scared to hit any pitch with speed right now. I really don't want to thin the ball over the green. I end up either chunking them, or getting lucky, or hitting a thin shot. My angle of attack is not consistent. I can make a few practice swings brushing the ground well then end up chunking the ball with a swing that feels identical to my practice swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

https://bnc.lt/yzOb/epg8AF8cbW

Just a VERY bad day.

Driver - Toe Snap hooks or heel push cuts. The only three times I hit the sweet spot I hit a push block twice and one good drive. 

Irons - pull draws or week slightly thin push shots.

short game - scared to hit anything with speed. Not consistent control of the low point. 

Putting - pushing and heeling putts. When I try to not push a putt I lose all distance control. 

My long game swing thoughts were shorter backswing and turn my right side through. I figure the bad shots are me not doing anything of that correctly. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Ok, we played a par 3 course after our round today. I think I worked out a few things. 

Full Swing @ Setup, feel like there is a bit more pressure under the left foot and keep the pressure there a bit more during the back swing. Then try the best to turn better on the downswing. When I did this, it just cleaned up contact and ball flight. 

Short game - My consistent shot is the ball in the middle of my stance chip type shot right around the green. 

Putting - A bit more shoulder turn versus hand movement. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

https://bnc.lt/yzOb/ScFhJnbScW

I struck the ball better. Way more consistent off the tee. I putted way better on the back nine. I had slightly better short game. I’ll take a 40 on the back nine with a water ball and 20 mph winds. 

Full Swing- I set up with more pressure under the lead foot and keep the pressure there. I’m trying to maintain a bit more flex in the left knee into impact. This really helped with my tee shots. I feel like it helps me turn better. I struck the middle of the club face way more consistently. This seems to be something that helps. 

Putting - I went to a slower stroke with more shoulder pivot. 

Short game - I’m living with just chipping for now. Middle of the stance, hands slightly forward, putting stroke motion. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

On 4/24/2019 at 5:07 PM, saevel25 said:

Shortgame is atrocious. I am outright scared to hit any pitch with speed right now. I really don't want to thin the ball over the green. I end up either chunking them, or getting lucky, or hitting a thin shot. My angle of attack is not consistent. I can make a few practice swings brushing the ground well then end up chunking the ball with a swing that feels identical to my practice swing. 

Open up face a tad to present the bounce, hit it just a tad fat with a descending blow?

Not advocating this as a method, but can it get you by until you straighten it out? 

If you’re skulling it...isn’t the bounce your friend, leading edge the enemy? 

Or a better idea, put it on video and have the better guys help. If you can’t pitch it to a reasonable spot...scoring is tough

I read a bit deeper through previous posts. Looks like your working on the fundamentals of it...so disregard my post