IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

If I can just get the club from carrying on that far. It's closer to being where I want it, but it's like a transition timing thing.

It's the best I've seen it "in the wild" (i.e. not when working with me that day).

Consider the rates at which something else happens, like the right arm bends or the wrists. If they don't do "something" early, they'll do "a lot" late. You may find that you react well with an early wrist set or something like that, so long as it moves the sweet spot relatively on-plane. Or an earlier wrist hinge.

Or… just man up (I'm joking, nothing to do with manliness, and I'm half talking to myself) and make your arms move what feels like three inches only, even though it feels like half a swing, and go from there. You'll be surprised every time how "easy" the speed is, how "easy" the contact is, and then a week later, you'll go right back to just swinging way too long again, like a total dumbass.

Okay, I was talking to myself there. 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some Video…

Current 6-iron

No arm movement feel. 

Current Driver

Driver swing that feel like they are all turn. Maybe took it a bit to far in the 2nd video. Anything that isn’t this feel the club just keep traveling on further than I want. 

Some notes for pitching…. 
Soft arms, more pivot, keep hands out of it a bit. Can get to handsy. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Can you put something over/behind your trail shoulder?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

Can you put something over/behind your trail shoulder?

Yep. I can come up with something 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

6-iron - Current

6-Iron
1) Slower backswing to feel the club slowing down at A3-A4
*On a side note, somehow the swing path started to get closer to the heel? I had to start setting up with the ball more off the toe to hit center of club face. Like crazy development. My miss use to be more on the toe side of the club, 

Driver with the backswing aid set up. 
*This made it VERY hard to time up my swing. I use the carry on, and hinge of my wrist to time the downswing. So, I kept hitting a lot of low pull to straight cuts. 

Slow-Mo TEE!! 

OK, I am going to say... F*** You golf swing 😛 Just stop the the swing at A4. How the hell did the club get there with out me thinking about anything. Sigh!! 

Like WTF!!! I give up, joking. I almost just started laughing at the range. 
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 12.44.02 PM.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played in a tournament today.

Off the Tee - B-

All but three drives where in play with an iron shot for a GIR. Two drives went OB, and one went into a lateral hazard. 

Approach Shots - C-

Hit very little GIR. I just kept pulling full iron shots left. If I got near the green in two on a par 5 I would duff or thin a pitch. 

Short Game - F

lots of 2nd pitch or chip shots needed. 

Putting - D-

Just lag putting struggles. Lots of three putting. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

and one went into a lateral hazard. 

No it didn't. 😉

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

No it didn't. 😉

Lol, the red painted line says otherwise. It went from OB to lateral hazard. Got lucky.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Lol, the red painted line says otherwise. It went from OB to lateral hazard. Got lucky.

Re-read what you wrote, and what I said. 🙂

And then maybe this.

I was just making a joke, but… I guarantee your ball didn't end up in a lateral hazard.

On 5/16/2021 at 12:45 PM, saevel25 said:

6-iron - Current

6-Iron
1) Slower backswing to feel the club slowing down at A3-A4
*On a side note, somehow the swing path started to get closer to the heel? I had to start setting up with the ball more off the toe to hit center of club face. Like crazy development. My miss use to be more on the toe side of the club, 

Driver with the backswing aid set up. 
*This made it VERY hard to time up my swing. I use the carry on, and hinge of my wrist to time the downswing. So, I kept hitting a lot of low pull to straight cuts. 

Slow-Mo TEE!! 

OK, I am going to say... F*** You golf swing 😛 Just stop the the swing at A4. How the hell did the club get there with out me thinking about anything. Sigh!! 

Like WTF!!! I give up, joking. I almost just started laughing at the range. 
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 12.44.02 PM.png

DUDE!  You literally created the perfect swing aid for yourself!  I bet you improve a ton with that aid stopping your backswing!

• 2 weeks later...

Went up to Erie yesterday for a wedge fitting and some swing work. 

Full Swing
1. Shorter Backswing. Turn carries arms back. Feel backswing ends when has are furthest away from target (shoulder height). 
2. Sit/squat down in transition and then straighten left as left hip goes back. 

Full Swing is in a really good spot 🙂

Pitching
1. Keep head down longer
2. Pivot around left knee, don't let left knee sag/flex. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

40 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Went up to Erie yesterday for a wedge fitting

The SMS wedges? How did you like them? We’re they noticeably different than the Classics?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

And in pitching:

• backswing is wider
  • let everything "collect" or "gather" before you start the downswing

55 minutes ago, billchao said:

The SMS wedges? How did you like them? We’re they noticeably different than the Classics?

I like them, but I prefer if they looked a tad less chunky. It’s mostly to do with how they machine the wedges. They performed good on the launch monitor.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some screenshots...

Shorter Swing Feel...

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 1.27.15 PM.png

More Squat/Sit Feel.. It doesn't look like much, but the feel is there for me. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 1.27.28 PM.png\

Just better impact position... This will help with consistently, I think I was a bit too close to vertical and my angle of attack struggled. During the wedge fitting, angle of attack was not that consistent for me. Though, I wonder if the machine was reading things strongly. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 1.27.51 PM.png

The biggest visual can be seen here. Way more stable. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 1.28.00 PM.png

A DTL take on this position...

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 1.28.30 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played in a scramble today. Overall the swing was good. Got tired out on the final few holes. got to keep the swing shorter. I got to squat better. 

I did hit the best 7 iron ever. Didn’t go all out. Contact just felt solid. Carried it 187. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Getting a bit stuck right now. Think the swing is getting long. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Just to expand on the feel. The swings felt more tilt back, head dip back. So, I wasn't getting my weight forward with the squat move, to allow me to turn and extend the left knee. I was more just extending and falling back. 

This sort of thing happens more in my distance wedges where I look up too soon, and I end up fatting the shot. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag