IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

On 6/12/2017 at 6:24 PM, saevel25 said:

Backswing 
1. Keep eyes on ball for the entire backswing, do not follow the club head back. It just helps a lot. It cleans up the consistency. 
2. Keep it shorter (Always :-D).
3. Still need to work on a flattening feel. 

Downswing
1. Keep eyes on ball longer in the downswing. More-so I want to get the turn going while keeping my head steadier. Similar to the pitching issues I had, I think. 
2. Right side, right hip through works best. Though in some instances feeling the left going behind me has worked, just not as consistent. Feeling like the arms stay still at A4, while I try to feel my right side through also works.

Some Issues
1. The amount of error from a good shot to a fat shot is small. 
2. Sometimes I will hit these straight slices. Though I feel the handle of the club go down an in quickly after contact. These shots are not overly common, but they can pop up. 

Overall not too bad. I was able hit some decent shots at slower swing speeds. If I do that I need to feel the arms staying put at A4 while I try to turn. 

^^This worked out pretty well tonight. Though I had a few shots that flared out to the right. I just need to do that downswing stuff better. Overall, I like the results. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

^^This worked out pretty well tonight. Though I had a few shots that flared out to the right. I just need to do that downswing stuff better. Overall, I like the results. 

I wish my "flared" shots went 319 yards...  ;-)

Looks like you hit the ball really well...good stuff!

- John

Just now, Hardspoon said:

I wish my "flared" shots went 319 yards...  ;-)

Looks like you hit the ball really well...good stuff!

That was lucky. The rough was not up at all. The course was actually firm. Those areas had some downhill slopes that my ball landed into. :-D

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

(edited)

Shot the worst nine hole score in probably over 8 years. When you have three OB tee shots, fatting irons, and one of the worst putting days ever and it adds up. My putting has been questionable the past few weeks anyways. 

Also, I pretty much stopped caring after the first four holes. 

I think I need more of this on my full swing

On 6/12/2017 at 6:24 PM, saevel25 said:

Downswing
Feeling like the arms stay still at A4, while I try to feel my right side through also works.

The best shot of the night was the final tee shot. On that one I actually felt the pause at A4 and the start of the downswing with my turn. 

I need to learn more distance control with my pitching. The contact is better, the precision is not there.

I need to fix my putting. I can not handle left to right putts. Every time I feel like I am aiming way too far left. Then I end up heeling them because I want to push the ball back towards the hole. I hit a lot of putts on the bottom half of the putter on mid-range to long putts.

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

No real advancement here, 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Matt, dude, please do this the rest of June.

On the practice range, make the longest swing you can make where you hit the ball solidly nearly every time.

I don't care if that's a 30-yard chip shot. Do that.

When you can do it every time, make the swing a bit longer.

Your swing is not that bad. It's quite good. You're lost and swimming in fifteen thoughts.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't care if that's a 30-yard chip shot. Do that.

When you can do it every time, make the swing a bit longer.

Ok. I'll work on hitting the shorter type shots. I know I can hit those type chip shots and longer chip type shots. Maybe I am not as consistent with them as I think I am.

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

Your swing is not that bad. It's quite good. You're lost and swimming in fifteen thoughts.

This is what I don't understand. I am not thinking of a lot stuff on the range. When working on my downswing piece I just try to keep the backswing shorter and try to do my turn better. The contact is either good or it goes to shit. 

I'll just hit those chip type shots from now on.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Ok. I'll work on hitting the shorter type shots. I know I can hit those type chip shots and longer chip type shots. Maybe I am not as consistent with them as I think I am.

The longest swings you can make with solid contact. Heck, that might be a 120-yard 6-iron. Or 80 yards. Or 150. I don't know. You'll find out.

6 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

This is what I don't understand. I am not thinking of a lot stuff on the range. When working on my downswing piece I just try to keep the backswing shorter and try to do my turn better. The contact is either good or it goes to shit.

That may be true, but you're not confident in anything right now. You're constantly searching, and though you may be thinking of one thing at a time, you're not confident in those things.

Clear your mind, hit the ball solidly. Then when you get back to a full swing, we'll get together again and see what pattern you've got. KISS.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

The longest swings you can make with solid contact. Heck, that might be a 120-yard 6-iron. Or 80 yards. Or 150. I don't know. You'll find out.

Ok

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

That may be true, but you're not confident in anything right now. You're constantly searching, and though you may be thinking of one thing at a time, you're not confident in those things.

Clear your mind, hit the ball solidly. Then when you get back to a full swing, we'll get together again and see what pattern you've got. KISS.

That makes sense. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Maybe going to A3 isn't a chippy type swing :-(

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

If that's the distance you can hit the ball and hit it solidly most of the time, cool.

You might be a little close to the ball from the DL view. Tough to say, but see how it feels.

57 minutes ago, iacas said:

If that's the distance you can hit the ball and hit it solidly most of the time, cool.

More like I think and feel the club is at A2 but it produces A3. It's the shortest back swing length feel back I can make right now besides playing a 10 yard chip and run short game type shot.

Anything in that A2 to A3 range will produce horrendous results. It's like my swing has no downswing trigger feel for this swing length. I get all armsy or flippy with the hands. 

Still contact can still get iffy from time to time with the A3 swing length. I'll keep working on it. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

You might be a little close to the ball from the DL view. Tough to say, but see how it feels.

I think so. It was one of the first things I noticed when I looked at the video. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 9 holes before the rain hit today for a work league. 

Though I didn't score well. I was happy with the contact with my irons. Much more solid. 

I'll keep working on hitting shorter chippy type shots at the range. 

I need to be more precise with my putter. I need to really spend some time on Aimpoint. Though I did make two adjustments with my putting. I got the grip slightly more in the palm of my right hand. I also bend over the ball a tad more, to add some softness to my elbows. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 11 holes with the new True shoes. I'm not use to the spikes. They sit a bit higher off the ground. 

I struck the ball pretty good. Putting was C-, short game wad B-. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 18 today. Shot +4, 74. Struck the ball very well. Still not making enough putts inside 10 Ft. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played Firestone South for the first time. Shot an 84. 

Driver: D
Irons: C
Short Game: B
Putting: B

I went to the range afterwards. I re-focused more on that chippy feel type of motion. I also took slower swings. I hit some really solid shots. Good to know I can get back to hitting solid shots really quick. I just need to be able to do that more often on the course. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Just a few notes after playing 18 today. 

Short game was pretty decent. I need to make better decisions on the type of shot to play. 

The full swing I'm going to tweek the setup and stand further from the ball, and lean over a bit more. 

I just need to make more confident swings. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

On 6/25/2017 at 5:51 PM, saevel25 said:

The full swing I'm going to tweek the setup and stand further from the ball, and lean over a bit more. 

I just need to make more confident swings. 

Standing further away and leaning over more has helped a lot. 

Also being more confident. ?

Short game feels like it's getting better and better. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag