IGNORED

Do you wear a glove when playing golf?

Note: This thread is 2162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Gloves  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a glove?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

When I first started golfing as a youngster never used a glove. Somewhere in between started using one and now can't manage without one. If I play without one, I hurt my left hand. Sometimes remove the glove near and on the green and sometimes just leave it on. Depends on mood, time and whether I remember

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haven't used a glove in many years. I tried one at the range last year and it felt weird and unnatural. To each his own, but personally, I think it's an unnecessary expense that's mostly marketing. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I carry a glove for each hand. I have arthritis and prefer a standard grip. The gloves help maintain a firm grip without gripping too hard. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Not used one for years. I find that if im in short sleeves the glove rubs my right arm on the follow through. I'll wear winter gloves in winter though

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I usually start with one on.  For chipping and putting I take it off.  Takes away from the feel.

Sometimes when my swing is off, I take the glove off for every shot and that seems to help for the rest of the round.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

The only gloves I wear are winter or rain gloves as needed. I don't play with a glove anymore, haven't done so for years. Saves me some money and time fudging around with taking one off and putting it on during the round.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I wear a glove most of the time. I currently use one made by Wilson. Here are photos of one I use in practice for nearly two seasons. More than a little bit haggard, but actually wears well considering all the abuse it gets.  Again, just for practice! and it is usually left outside even.  New one in bag with original packaging intact. Looks new after several rounds.

IMG_0886.thumb.JPG.515fe59373ce5ec538165eb8c9ba0d98.JPGIMG_0887.thumb.JPG.604574c6f10557d2a50c193906bb19a8.JPGIMG_0888.thumb.JPG.6161235099993260877feb9e86fc8425.JPG

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I wear a glove all the time. I used to take it off for putting, but as I got older and started to get arthritic hands, it seemed to work better to keep it on for putting. This past season I averaged 31 putts a round, and I don't think that has changed much over the years. Just wearing the glove all the time is a lot simpler than taking it off and putting it back on every hole.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave Saari said:

I wear a glove all the time. I used to take it off for putting, but as I got older and started to get arthritic hands, it seemed to work better to keep it on for putting. This past season I averaged 31 putts a round, and I don't think that has changed much over the years. Just wearing the glove all the time is a lot simpler than taking it off and putting it back on every hole.

Ditto @Dave Saari, I don't bother to remove when putting, but sometimes do forget to put glove on at number 1 tee.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

When I first started, I did not use a glove but now I don't think I can play without one. Maybe that's just a habit?

I do always take it off on the green, it just does not feel right, putting with a glove.

always.  if my left hand get sweaty and my grip slips a little, I lose all confidence in my swing.  I focus more on holding on to the club, than making a good swing. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• iacas changed the title to Do you wear a glove when playing golf?
  • 2 weeks later...

I wear a glove when I play (not putting or chipping). The thing that bothers me is that I tried one of those Bionic gloves about a year ago and not If I don't use a Bionic glove, it feels strange to me. I think they brainwashed me into the feel of those gloves so now when I use something else, it just isn't the same.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• 4 months later...

I wear a glove for almost all shots. Even putting. I just never really got into the habit of taking it off. Probably should start, just kind of established the habit now. 

No, as I use a very strong grip with a single plane swing, it is what I had to do to make the "Graves" Moe Norman single plane swing work for me..Just could not get over pushing my shots straight right...took a lesson from a former "Graves" instructor and he found the grip change (from the grip recommended by Graves Academy) did in fact work in my favor....I have a very poor release and at 70 years old it is not going to come back anytime soon. 

Note: This thread is 2162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!