IGNORED

Driving Distance

jmr
Note: This thread is 3137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

mine ranges from 230 to about 270. my longest drive was 310 (total distance) and it was a straight perfect drive which i have never been able to repeat since :(

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

This thread seems to be missing a key element... Shanks A Million. It does seem improbable that a 20+ handicapper can have the require technique / fundamentals to hit 260+, yet is seemingly unable to putt / chip / pitch reliably to lower their index. Personally, I'd be quite content to just keep up with Corey Pavin!

I worked from the hole back!

I figure if you 3 putt every hole and I two putt every hole... I pick up 18 strokes on you.

So I started with my short game first. I am super confident with the flatstick in my hand now days. I have been playing a little over a year as well.

I drive the ball about 250-260 yards. And I hit about 40% of fairways. However, I very rarely lose a ball in the woods... I might not hit it dead straight, but I stay out of alot of trouble.

I am least confident in long irons, which most people are. However, I feel if I can consistently hit the ball 240 and be confident with my chipping and putting I am fine. My goal isnt to become a scratch golfer. I want to be a consistent ball striker that isnt embarrassed to play with really good golfers and feel like I am holding them up.

Distance is nice... however, give me the accuracy with the quickness. I would take 220 with every drive in the fairway before I would take 300 with 9 out of 18 drives in the fairway.
In my bag
Machspeed 9.5 Stiff
CrossBax 5 wood
Idea Tech 19* Hybrid
a3 22* Hybrid Slingshot 4D Graphite 5-AW Burner XD 56* & 60* Wedge Callie Putter e6+Home Course: www.dogwoodtracegolf.com

Well when i go out and take shot measurements with my GPS, on a golf course thats wet, were my golf ball sits about 1-2 yards away from the ball mark. Its pretty easy to measure carry distance of 275 to 285. When the golf course dries out in summer, i can put golf balls out there at 300 pretty consistently.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I worked from the hole back!

well from your description of your golf game, you are better then me in every aspect of golf.

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

Some of the people in here are pathetic. Saying that people are lying due to the fact people can drive longer than you.

They're off 30, that means they must drive about 160 yards right? No. It means there's other elements to golf that just long drives. There's irons, intricate chips, and not to mention the putting element. When I was off 30, I used to drive it 260ish, but it used to be 260 yards in the right rough.

Now I've changed my swing around, and I get much less distance, I'd say 240-250, but I keep it in the fairway a lot more. I haven't played in about a year (literally), but I still of course had the drives in the rough, but I'd hit at least 50% (sometimes nearer 85%) of fairways, whereas before it was 25% and below.

Ben

Some of the people in here are pathetic. Saying that people are lying due to the fact people can drive longer than you.

Hitting over 50% of fairways is fantastic, and being at 85% means you are more accurate then most tour pros. So congrats on your swing change

In my bag

Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

Hitting over 50% of fairways is fantastic, and being at 85% means you are more accurate then most tour pros. So congrats on your swing change

85% is one of those randomly days where you're just hitting everything sweet as hell. It happens once a year haha.

As for 50%, that's at the local course, where the fairways are veryyyyyyy wide and forgiving, but I'm confident I can do it on most courses in the area. It's really the putting and I'm not good at judging distances that messes up my game.

Ben

I won't bore you with weather conditions or dry/wet fairways blah blah blah. I hit the ball 250 with my driver. Sometimes it hits the fairway, sometimes not.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I just try to make contact with that little round white thing on the tee.

If I can hit the ball with the face of the driver, instead of shanking it, it's just a bonus. If I get 200 yards, I'm psyched and talking trash right and left.

The stuff in my bag (i.e. The clubs that I haven't tossed in the pond. Yet.):

Driver: G15
Fariway Woods: Fybrid 5
Irons: Big Bertha Fusion 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson 56 and 60Putter: IN Wack-e

Damnit... I just had a 2 paragraph response typed and lost it when I hit the REPLY TO THREAD button again. Anyway, what I typed, in shorter format... to Ben (FX):

You're new here. You'll see this same type of thread about once a week. It'll be posted by the same types of guys (19+ handicaps) and it'll be questioned by the same types of guys (sub-10 handicaps).

I sit on the fence. It's possible... but highly improbable. Guys like myself with higher handicaps lack the ability to reproduce the same swing over and over - the same swing which is required to hit the ball 250 to 280 yards. If guys want a true average... they should take their 2 BEST drives in any given 18 hole round and their 2 WORST drives in any given 18 hole round... throw them out, and then average the remaining holes which they used their driver.

I hit my 9 iron to the middle of a green from 170 yards away... once. It was a huge drop downhill... and I had a strong wind behind me. For me to say I hit my 9 iron 170 yards... is accurate. For me to say that I AVERAGE 170 yards with my 9 iron is moronic. Especially since it's the club I used from 115 - 125 yards.

Saying guys are pathetic here... not the best way to make an introduction. The fact of the matter is... the guys who are questioning whether it's possible or not... have valid points. The guys who claim they hit the ball 280 yards never seem to produce evidence that they can do it over and over (video of their swings, testimonials from others they've played with on the forum, etc).

Possible? Yes. Probable? Not really.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Saying guys are pathetic here... not the best way to make an introduction. The fact of the matter is... the guys who are questioning whether it's possible or not... have valid points. The guys who claim they hit the ball 280 yards never seem to produce evidence that they can do it over and over (video of their swings, testimonials from others they've played with on the forum, etc).

It's not pathetic to question someone for lying about their stats in a game based around honesty? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I just think some people are jealous that guys with higher-handicaps may be stronger and able to hit the ball further.

There's no evidence to prove wrong or right. If the person is actually proven completely wrong, then they are 100% PATHETIC. There's no need to lie. If someone posts in this thread they can only hit their driver 180 yards, it's not as if everyone's going to quote it and laugh and joke about him.

Ben

It's not pathetic to question someone for lying about their stats in a game based around honesty? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I just think some people are jealous that guys with higher-handicaps may be stronger and able to hit the ball further.

Here is the problem, it takes more then strength to hit the ball far. Most hign handicappers are high handicappers because they do not have a repeatable swing. If someone is capable of taking their driver and hitting the ball 280 on AVERAGE(meaning not once every 50 shots) then they are capable of swinging an iron and wedge.

No one is saying they might not poke 1 of every 50 drives 275 yards, but to believe they repeatedly do it and average that distance over a full season of golf but can't swing a pitching wedge is absolutely stupid

In my bag

Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood

Listen, I think the majority of us "low" cappers are not questioning that you "high" cappers have the potential to hit a 285 (or ever 300) yard drive….but coming on here and spouting that you AVERAGE 285 yards is beyond ridiculous. We've all played with crappy golfers that generate crazy club head speed and "when they catch it" the ball goes crazy distances. These same guys also hit the ball just as far left/right as they do straight.

A solid and repeatable swing that generates enough club head speed to hit consistent 285 yard drives does not come from 20ish cappers. I would love for somebody to prove me wrong…but that has yet to happen over 30 years playing this game.

Carry on…..

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

There's no need to lie. If someone posts in this thread they can only hit their driver 180 yards, it's not as if everyone's going to quote it and laugh and joke about him.

100% agreed. But why does ANYBODY lie... ever? I think what those who are doubting the fact that a high handicap can hit the ball that far have an issue with is that MOST of these guys (high handicappers) are delusional when it comes to distances. Not saying the guys who post HERE are delusional... but I've run into some real whackos on the golf course who tell ME I hit the ball 300 yards. I use a GPS to verify my drives... have since last August. When guys find out that I've only hit the ball 255 when they think I've hit it over 300... their jaws drop.

To those without GPS for verification... distance is difficult to determine. Sure... you can step off the distance from the tee to your ball, but beyond that... what other methods actually work? It's been proven time and again that subtracting what's left to the middle of the green from what's posted on the scorecard is bogus. It can work SOME of the time... but not ALL of the time. I've worked in a field where RESULTS are the only proof that you're properly doing your job. Being able to justify what you're doing is the number 1 way to gain respect. I feel like, in this instance... if you can do it - prove it. Otherwise... you're going to be called out on it. Whether that's pathetic or not... that's up to an individual to decide. Coming to an internet message board and claiming things that are false... well, it's been shown that something like that happens WAY more often than someone posting the truth.
  • My girlfriend is a model.
  • I've got $3M in the bank.
  • My penis is 14 inches long.
  • I drive a Porsche.
  • My house is larger than Yankee Stadium.
  • I was an all state halfback in high school.
  • I drive the ball 300 yards.
Still want to know why guys are slow to believe what others are posting? Sorry man... I'm not trying to be a dick either. I'm just stating the facts. It's POSSIBLE for any of the above to be true. It's just highly IMPROBABLE that any of them are. CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Note: This thread is 3137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!