IGNORED

Jerry Rice

Mrd19abhs
Note: This thread is 4975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Agreed, Rice needs to find a comfortable recliner and watch golf on TV like the rest of us, his swing is a joke for playing 20+ years

+1

His swing is terrible.....Big sway on the backswing and follow through (plus that funky right foot deal on the follow through). If he wasn't a decent ballstriker I would say he's a 12 hcap. 2 hcap my ass. However....with his work ethic and if he teamed up with Butch Harmon he could be very good, maybe a decent mini tour player. I ain't going to bash him, he's dedicated to this game we love, best of luck to him.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. I would have to google them, but let me take a crack at it....Soccer, Rugby, or Cricket?

they are both cricketers

DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

I too had to Google who Jerry Rice was.

I don't see why we should treat him different to any other professional golfer if he's decided to come onto the tour. He has an ugly swing by looking at clips now, but if he thinks he's ready for it then so be it. +4 on his second round isn't THAT bad, there's a lot of people who do much worse.

Ben

I am sick of all these ex pro athletes who think playing on the pga tour is such a piece of cake. I like Jerry Rice and I dont have a problem with him getting an exemption into his own tournament, but lets get real if he thinks even for a second he can compete with pga tour and nationwide players, he needs a wakeup call. Hopefully this tournament was it. Same thing with Big Ben last year at the US open challenge. Guy plays OUT OF HIS MIND and shoots 81 or 82 or whatever it was. Then tells the PTI guys in a interview he thinks he could play on the PGA tour if he wanted to. REALLY!! He thinks one 81 will get him there. Even if he shoots that twice, he still does not make the cut from last year. The pro's had to play in wet crappy conditions an were still shooting mid 60's there.

Clubs:

Driver: Ping G10 10.5 UST Mamiya Proforce V2 Stiff
Fairway: Ping G10 15.5 UST Mamiya Proforce V2 stiff
Hybrid: Ping G10 18.0 UST Mamiya Proforce V2 H stiffIrons:  Ping S56 3-PW KBS tour StiffWedges:  Ping Tour S 56, 60 degree KBS tour stiffPutter:  Ping scottsdale anser 2 34"

I am in SF and we all love Jerry Rice! He brings much needed media attention to the Nation Wide Tour.

John Smoltz is a +2 handicaper and awhile back Sandtrap had his backyard shown, below is an article from Golf Digest about him. I wonder when he might makes his move into golf?

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-cours...?currentPage=3

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I was surprised when I saw Jerry Rice trying this too. However, I'm not going to bash him like some have ... this guy clearly has a LOT of pride and was willing to take some public lumps to try a new level at the game we all love. At the notion that he "took a spot," I don't believe sponsor's exemptions are for taking a spot. I always believed one of their purposes included things to garner interest, etc.

Also, didn't Lawrence Taylor, who himself admits he's not a scratch golfer, beat Jerry in match play on that Donald Trump show on GC? That's why I knew he wasn't getting near the cut...

Agreed, Rice needs to find a comfortable recliner and watch golf on TV like the rest of us, his swing is a joke for playing 20+ years

Really man??? He will bring GREAT exposure! He's not asking for anything extra, just a shot!!!! I was flipping channels and saw him and watched the rest of the round! Would I have done that if Rice wasn't playing? Not sure! But I think he's great for the sport, simply for the exposure!!

In my Nike SasQuatch Staff Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 9.5 Stiff
Irons: Ping G5 4-P
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56*, Cleveland bent to 49*
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey
Ball: Srizon Z-Star Yellow
Range: SkyCaddie 2.5

I say bring him on, along with other former pro athletes that can play scratch golf. Brings more money into the sport, which breeds better competition among the other players on that tour.

didnt even know any of this was going on
i knew he was some type of "fuesball" player, but thats about it

+12 on day one?? please.........

they shouldnt allow people like this to play on sponsor exemptions w his "skill levels"
its a discrase to the athletes that sleep in their cars to save money for entry fees and live, eat, sleep, breathe golf - tyring to live the dream the honest way

take your money, celebrity status and crap golf game elsewhere "Mr. Rice".......
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I had no idea who he is. (Actually, I thought he was a country western singer.)

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

It may be just me, but it seems that the people that are most critical of Jerry's playing in this tournament are lower handicapped players (5 & below). I call a spade a spade, some of you guys have a case of sour grapes. If someone gives me that opportunity, I'm taking it no questions asked and you guys probably would too. Besides 1) he gave the tournament a lot of publicity and 2) someone actually finished lower than him.

Busting on Jerry's swing is a bit ridicules. Look at Arnie, Treveno, and Jim Furyk . All major champions with some ugly ass swings. It's how you hit it not what it looks like.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I've gotta give him some credit for his 76 on day 2. Missing the cut from one tournament doesn't mean a heck of a lot. Lets see if he plays in another tournament & how he does there.

I have no problem with it. The players shouldn't either, it brought more attention to that tournament and the tour in general, which can only be a good thing for the other players. If they have to give up a spot (which is not their's to give anyway, it is the sponsors) to bring attention to the tour on occasion, then so be it.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

I've gotta give him some credit for his 76 on day 2. Missing the cut from one tournament doesn't mean a heck of a lot. Lets see if he plays in another tournament & how he does there.

It does mean a lot. He demonstrated that there would be no possibility of him making a cut. He is light years away from doing that, but he is also clearly a better golfer than most.

But heplayed 8 par 5s and had three double bogeys and a bogey. This is where these guys have to score. The winner played those holes in 12 under, and played them in 8 under on the first two days. 6 birdies, an eagle and a par.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 4975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!