IGNORED

Jerry Rice

Mrd19abhs
Note: This thread is 4981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

didnt even know any of this was going on

It's his tournament,

and no one would care about this Nationwide event if he wasn't playing. It's great exposure, and a reminder to pro athletes and the viewers of just how hard golf is. Seems like a win-win.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i knew he was some type of "football" player, but thats about it

He paid plenty of dues in his NFL career. He had a bad first day. He didn't finish last in the tourney. He received a sponsor's exemption which doesn't take the spot from a guy who sleeps in his car and where is the thread for the guy that finished AFTER him? Now if he plays in a few and doesn't improve, fine, challenge him to a game and beat him like a drum, but dang man, give the guy a shot!!!

In my Nike SasQuatch Staff Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 9.5 Stiff
Irons: Ping G5 4-P
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56*, Cleveland bent to 49*
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey
Ball: Srizon Z-Star Yellow
Range: SkyCaddie 2.5

they shouldnt allow people like this to play on sponsor exemptions w his "skill levels"

So, how do we go about getting sponsors then? The sponsor wants to regroup their investment, and part of the benefit of being able to give out sponsor's exemptions is to recruit players who will sell tickets. The guy living in his car who isn't even #150 on the Nationwide Tour priority list isn't selling tickets, short of actually working in the ground admissions booth. But you bring in a Jerry Rice or Michelle Wie or Kenny G, and people want to go see that person. They already have to have a demonstrable handicap, and there's the piano keys rule (I think) to keep the genuinely vain from pulling the trick twice.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So, how do we go about getting sponsors then? The sponsor wants to regroup their investment, and part of the benefit of being able to give out sponsor's exemptions is to recruit players who will sell tickets. The guy living in his car who isn't even #150 on the Nationwide Tour priority list isn't selling tickets, short of actually working in the ground admissions booth. But you bring in a Jerry Rice or Michelle Wie or Kenny G, and people want to go see that person. They already have to have a demonstrable handicap, and there's the piano keys rule (I think) to keep the genuinely vain from pulling the trick twice.

How does Triple A baseball do it? , that's right, it's funded by the MLB team they might play for, the PGA needs to do the same IMO, enough with the celebrity's on the nationwide tour, let them play at pebble, if they want to get serious about golf let them qualify for it and earn it like the rest of the field, this exemption crap makes the real players look like anyone can do what they do IMO, when the truth be known only 1% will make it to the PGA tour if that

How does Triple A baseball do it? , that's right, it's funded by the MLB team they might play for, the PGA needs to do the same IMO, enough with the celebrity's on the nationwide tour, let them play at pebble, if they want to get serious about golf let them qualify for it and earn it like the rest of the field, this exemption crap makes the real players look like anyone can do what they do IMO, when the truth be known only 1% will make it to the PGA tour if that

How many former pro athletes have tried to play as competitors in Tour-sanctioned events? I'd venture to say not that many.

Let us remember #80 is about 46 years old and his body has taken quite a bit of punishment, he has taken hits that would put me in the hospital. He has had at least two knee injurys and has played in the NFL for about 20 years. He has the focus and determination that very few individuals have in this world. I believe had he grown up playing golf he would have been on the PGA tour. He is the greatest wide receiver ever without being the biggest or fastest but he did that though his hard work. I would not put it past him to make the senior tour.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

How many former pro athletes have tried to play as competitors in Tour-sanctioned events? I'd venture to say not that many.

Yes, and there is a good reason for it, most of them have the common sense not to try it, because they know professional golf is best left to the professionals

He needs Steve Young or Joe Montana to caddie. He'd probably play better.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Ha ha. I'd probably refuse to watch a Nationwide event if the coverage was focused on an NFL player ••••••••er wannabe. If we're supposed to take the event seriously -- and I think we are -- he shouldn't have been out there.
Current setup:
Titleist 909D2 9.5°, Diamana Blue Stiff | Titleist 909F2 15.5°, Diamana Blue Stiff | Mizuno MP-57 3-P, Nippon NS Pro 1050GH Stiff | Titleist Vokey SM 54.11, 60.07 | Scotty Cameron ACVII / Napa California | Titleist Pro V1X

He needs Steve Young or Joe Montana to caddie. He'd probably play better.

HAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!

Ha ha. I'd probably refuse to watch a Nationwide event if the coverage was focused on an NFL player ••••••••er wannabe. If we're supposed to take the event seriously -- and I think we are -- he shouldn't have been out there.

I couldn't agreed with you more

wow, im getting my ass chewed in here

do you people really think an EX washed up pro football player even has a chance??? OR ANY ATHLETE other than a golfer for that matter???
I dont care if he worked with Hank or Butch or friggen Tiger Woods....dude doesnt have the skills to to play on tour
i watched the Donald Trump Golf show last night and Lawrence Taylor (again no idea who this dude is) beat him with a 12" stogey hangin out of his mouth the whole time
that old basterd could barely swing a club and he beat JR

ok i get its "exposure" i guess........maybe for TV ratings and thats about it

the Nationwide tour barely gets enough coverage as it is
thats all we need is to watch some dude hack it out, just because he has money

and to the dude that said "its seems its low handicappers" making all the negative comments
maybe its because we realize how hard it is to actually shoot par or better on a consistent basis........

oh never mind ..i get what ur saying
ur right...im bitter because i dont play on tour
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

A thought on Rice's round: suppose he had gone to TPC Stonebrae, where the tournament is held, during a normal day. The course isn't set up for the Nationwide Tour, and he goes to the tips (same yardage as the tournament itself) and produces a 76 - his second round score. That's good for about a 0 in the handicap register (75.1/138), so it's at least that on the tour. Consider also that this is only his second round on a tour course under tour conditions, and I'd say it's fairly impressive. But he has a long way to go if he thinks he can compete.

How does Triple A baseball do it? , that's right, it's funded by the MLB team they might play for, the PGA needs to do the same IMO

(1) The PGA has very little to do with touring professionals, Nationwide Tour or otherwise. They have no reason to sponsor this. Even

(2) MLB teams are producing players to play for their team. The Nationwide Tour is producing players who will compete with those already on the PGA TOUR (which is what I'll assume you mean by "PGA"). Why should the PGA Tour purses be diminished to cover future competitors? (3) Let's drive away more sponsors while we're at it. SBS is paying good money to sponsor the tournament of champions, not the minor league stop in Hayward. Fresh Express is paying for the stop in Hayward.
if they want to get serious about golf let them qualify for it and earn it like the rest of the field, this exemption crap makes the real players look like anyone can do what they do IMO, when the truth be known only 1% will make it to the PGA tour if that

Except it's not the case that the rest of the field earned it anymore than they did. Why should Jerry Rice be less welcome than Dana Banke?

Do you really think people are watching at home saying, "Wow, if Jerry Rice can do it, why can't I?" What about the sponsor exemptions for local high school or college kids? If a 16 year old can play on the PGA Tour, can't anyone? What if they play well, is it better or worse? Remember the run that ASU kid had in Tucson a few years ago?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Shindig...you put the argument in a concise manner...I agree 100%

Now @enis.....everyone realizes that it's very difficult to shoot under par consistently. I played college golf so I do realize this as much as you. When the sporting scene is dominated by the beginning of baseball season, beginning of NBA/NHL playoffs and the Masters hangover, the sponsor has to do something to get their tournament on people's minds....mission accomplished. I did not mean to push buttons by saying that there's a tinge of jealousy concerning this...but you kinda helped support my argument with your rebuttal.

A thought on Rice's round: suppose he had gone to TPC Stonebrae, where the tournament is held, during a normal day. The course isn't set up for the Nationwide Tour, and he goes to the tips (same yardage as the tournament itself) and produces a 76 - his second round score. That's good for about a 0 in the handicap register (75.1/138), so it's at least that on the tour. Consider also that this is only his second round on a tour course under tour conditions, and I'd say it's fairly impressive. But he has a long way to go if he thinks he can compete.

You make some very valid points Shindig, and if Jerry Rice wants to go out and embarrass himself on the nationwide tour, that's okay with me I enjoyed the laugh

So all you guys that don't want him back, let your company become a major sponsor and give your slots to the guys sleeping in their car! lol

So all you guys that don't want him back, let your company become a major sponsor and give your slots to the guys sleeping in their car! lol

THat's not the point. The point is that Rice's slot should have been in the pro am and not in the tournament.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

THat's not the point. The point is that Rice's slot should have been in the pro am and not in the tournament.

I get what you're saying but I'm just saying it was his FIRST tourney! He didn't play well, I'll give ya that but give him one or two to get the nerves settled before passing judgement so harshly!

bitching about people getting exemptions is stupid. The sponsor can give them to whoever they want. Dont complain about people taking the sponsors exemption, play better so you qualify without it. The guy tried and obviously didnt play well. If you think double bogeying par 5's is him playing his best think again. Ya he doesnt have the game to play out there but he generated a buzz and some people watched some of the tournament when theyd have normally watched none at all.

Nobody knows if the guy can make it. But people knocking on the champions tour are nuts. The guys there have been some of the best golfers in the world for 20-30+ years . Its definitely no cake walk out there.

Note: This thread is 4981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!