Sign in to follow this  
mcfc_nick

Brian Davis

Note: This thread is 3409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

82 posts / 19024 viewsLast Reply

major respect to this guy after today. just called a 2 shot penalty on himself in the playoff for touching a loose impediment in the bunker/water. total respect for the guy

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Yeah, it was not fun to watch. Good thing, if anything, is that he had a pretty long putt, and Furyk had a somewhat easy putt. Of course, never easy when putting for a win, but if Davis was 3 feet from the flag, it would have been even worse.

It was great of him to call it, heck, even notice and consider it being a broken rule. But that's how we play this game, we follow every rule, those that help us and those that penalize us.

Hazard, not bunker.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, it was not fun to watch. Good thing, if anything, is that he had a pretty long putt, and Furyk had a somewhat easy putt. Of course, never easy when putting for a win, but if Davis was 3 feet from the flag, it would have been even worse.

to be fair he didnt even look at the putt so it was more likely that he would have given it more of a scare if it meant something, and yeah i didnt know what to call it hence the 'bunker/water' :)

major respect to this guy after today. just called a 2 shot penalty on himself in the playoff for touching a loose impediment in the bunker/water. total respect for the guy

Agreed, It's players like Davis that make this game great, hats off to him

and Grats to Furyk on his 2nd win this season

Agreed, It's players like Davis that make this game great, hats off to him

I agree.

Such a shame but outstanding display of sportsmanship.

That rule was pretty ridiculos though, I mean really two stroke penalty that harsh? Ill understand maybe a stroke penalty maybe but two is just stupid terrible ending.

Really was a great round to watch all together. Especially when davis almost eagled on 18 before that. A lot of respect to him for calling himself on it.

That rule was pretty ridiculos though, I mean really two stroke penalty that harsh? Ill understand maybe a stroke penalty maybe but two is just stupid terrible ending.

It is a cruddy way to have to end a tournament but, that is how the rule was written. Making it a one stroke penalty because it seems like a ridiculous way to end a tournament only undermines the rules.

Good to see him call that on himself though. There is a good chance it would have gone unnoticed otherwise.

I havent seen what happened, but i thought most penatlies regarding this kind of thing were based around the ball. If whatever he moved resulted in the ball moving, then it would be a penatly. Is that what happened?

If the reed had been still growing in the ground, rather than dead and loose, would it still have been a penalty?

I don't think so. I believe it's OK to brush a growing piece of grass on your backswing in a hazard (so long as you don't ground your club), but not a loose impediment (dead branch or stick). It does seem odd that loose impediments are specifically mentioned in the rule.

If the reed had been still growing in the ground, rather than dead and loose, would it still have been a penalty?

no it would have been fine then, you are allowed to touch anything growing in the hazard

I havent seen what happened, but i thought most penatlies regarding this kind of thing were based around the ball. If whatever he moved resulted in the ball moving, then it would be a penatly. Is that what happened?

no it wasnt near the ball, he just flicked a twig during his backswing

Bogus rule...it had nothing to do with the outcome of the shot. The PGA needs to rethink some rules. Thats not the first or last time a guy calls a penalty on himself and looses a tournament because of a rule that has no bearing on the shot. Congrats to Davis for calling it though!! My .02 anyway.

Bogus rule...it had nothing to do with the outcome of the shot. The PGA needs to rethink some rules. Thats not the first or last time a guy calls a penalty on himself and looses a tournament because of a rule that has no bearing on the shot. Congrats to Davis for calling it though!! My .02 anyway.

I totally agree with you hacker....I think unless it interferes with the ball itself, it shouldn't have been a 2 stroke penalty.....I know that when I hit into the trees and there are branches dead or otherwise, I don't take any of that rule into consideration.....it would be awfully difficult as an amature to follow every rule....

Note: This thread is 3409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!