IGNORED

Sweat Shops for Nike, Others Too?

Note: This thread is 5109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As almost everyone has said, it is not a bad thing. The people in these countries are plum happy to have the opportunity. One of my marketing professors did a research project on this and went around to a few countries and did video interviews etc over a 3 year period. He was trying to figure out the negatives/cons of this kind of labor. We watched the film he ended up with and his view did a complete 180 after the project. Literally not a single person said anything negative about the work or industry moves except for people in the large industrial countries. All of the workers said it was the best thing that ever happened to their families, etc. A lot of people say that they hate buying foreign-made products and want everything made in America, and everything outside of the US is of less quality. In reality the only items that are of less quality are the ones that are not regulated by the US companies. Buying US companies products that are made elsewhere are of the same quality they would be if they were made here because they are held to the same standards. The only reason it would be a higher quality product is because it would have to be in order for anyone to buy the items, because it would cost that much more to produce such things!

In my Ozone stand bag:
Driver: 909 D2 9.5
3 Wood: MT-15
Irons: 1025-C 3-P
Gap: Spin Milled 52-06 Oil-CanSand: Spin Milled 56-08 RawLob: Spin Milled 60-13 Oil-CanPutter: AntiguaBall: Z-Star X

I am totally stunned by the majority of posts in this thread.
Have none of you read "No Logo" by Naomi Klein?

Most of the major U.S. brands such as Wal-Mart, Penney, Sears have appalling records and conditions for their workers. Some things may have improved in the last decade, but Nike was absolutely one of the worst offenders.
Here is a very attractive list of things that occurred in the Nike Wellco factory in China:

Workers fined if they refused to work overtime.
No overtime rates paid.
Arbitrary fining of pregnant women.
Habitual screaming and humiliation.
Fines if talking at work.
Majority of workers never having heard of Nike Code of Conduct.

And, to top the list off, CORPORAL PUNISHMENT.

Wages: 16 U.S. cents an hour, (1998)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

i'd like to know if nike make their golf clubs in a similar sweatshop environment, it would be criminal to charge 400 for a driver that was made by someone earning 16c an hour. never bought a nike club or hit one and don't have any intention too.

Tiger woods is like god on this forum, so any attempt to attack Nike will get a lot of resistance. It doesnt matter it Tiger was visiting the factories himself and assaulting the slow workers himself.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The problem with the whole situation, from what I've heard, is that they are making more money than a lot of other places they could work in their country. If someone in the US was making that much it would be unheard of (partially because of minimum wage, but you get my point), but in those countries they are making decent money, otherwise they would not work there. But that is just what I've heard, it could be wrong.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I would like to ask just how many of you have actually been to any foriegn country? Do you really know their work conditions or how they are treated? Does Nike pass anong the savings for the cheap labor along to us, or stick it in their pocket? The .16 cents/hour is about right, so why does a driver cost $400 or a set of irons $1,000?

I would like to ask just how many of you have actually been to any foriegn country? Do you really know their work conditions or how they are treated? Does Nike pass anong the savings for the cheap labor along to us, or stick it in their pocket? The .16 cents/hour is about right, so why does a driver cost $400 or a set of irons $1,000?

Because that's what the market will support, both on the labor and retail cost side of things. Like I said, the workers CHOOSE to work in those conditions. I'm not saying they're pleasant, I'm just saying that the alternative must be worse, so in that case Nike is helping the workers. Nike is a business, not a missionary group.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

I just saw a presentation of how poorly workers are paid at Nike Sweat Shops in Indonesia.

Done reading after that...

:cleveland:         Classic 10.5° w/ Miyazaki C.Kua Limited X-Stiff
:cleveland:         Launcher FL 3 Wood 17° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:cleveland:         Mashie 3H 20.5° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:mizuno:   MP-57 4 - PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300
:cleveland:         588 - 52° 56° 60°
:scotty_cameron:          Studio Newport 2
:srixon:              Z-Star Tour Yellow 

Because that's what the market will support, both on the labor and retail cost side of things. Like I said, the workers CHOOSE to work in those conditions. I'm not saying they're pleasant, I'm just saying that the alternative must be worse, so in that case Nike is helping the workers. Nike is a business, not a missionary group.

That is a very poor answer. It is not what they CHOOSE, it's what they MUST do in order to feed their families. I have been to several third world countries, so I have a lot more knowledge of the people and their governments than you. Over-seas workers do not CHOOSE their work conditions, it's what is handed to them, no choice on their part. They are FORCED to work in sub-standard conditions. This is not a blind assessment. I have talked to several over-seas workers. What part of poor work conditions do you not understand??? It is Nike's responsibility to see that the workers are not miss-treated.

Because of our current ecconomy and the fact that my job went over-seas, I am FORCED to take a lesser job. The lesser job I currently hold is to feed my family. It is not what I CHOOSE, it is what I must do. I guess you justify the fact that Nike is growing fat off cheap over-seas labor?

The bottom line is Nike is unethical when it comes to its over seas employees. I know I own Nike gear, but it doesnt mean I am not capable of knowing that they put peasants to work overseas in terrible conditions. They can get away with it so they do it. that is the American-International business model. Anyone who is trying to say that the conditions they work in is somehow par or better when looking at the overall conditions of the country are just making foolish excuses for Nike (Tiger).

That is a very poor answer. It is not what they CHOOSE, it's what they MUST do in order to feed their families. I have been to several third world countries, so I have a lot more knowledge of the people and their governments than you. Over-seas workers do not CHOOSE their work conditions, it's what is handed to them, no choice on their part.

Vacationing in a foreign country doesn't make you knowledgeable about it. As for their choices, they're choosing from what's available to them. It's not as though they were choosing between working for money that you would spit at in a factory, or being paid a nice salary in an air-conditioned office. It's the same reason people in this country chose to move to factories when they came about many years ago: it's a far better option than any others available to them. It's not like they draw a job out of a hat.

Meanwhile, I've been to Mexico many times, and I know many people who know more about it than I do, even though they've never set foot there.
They are FORCED to work in sub-standard conditions. This is not a blind assessment. I have talked to several over-seas workers

Sub-standard according to whom? Worse than the office I work in? Worse than they'd have if the factory were never there? Lots of people have spoken to over-seas workers (see the post above about the professor and the video interview). Please stop saying it as if a few conversations make you somehow more of an expert than anyone else here. If you can verify some sort of expertise, please demonstrate it.

What part of poor work conditions do you not understand??? It is Nike's responsibility to see that the workers are not miss-treated.

No, it's Nike's responsibility to comply with local laws and to deliver profit to their shareholders. When you use a comparison word like "poor" (in "poor working conditions"), you need to give a comparison. What better options do these people have? And are their lives better or worse for Nike being there?

Because of our current ecconomy and the fact that my job went over-seas, I am FORCED to take a lesser job. The lesser job I currently hold is to feed my family. It is not what I CHOOSE, it is what I must do.

Really? Who forced you? You chose, out of the options available to you, to take a job you consider lesser. Or did your new employer send thugs to pick you up?

I guess you justify the fact that Nike is growing fat off cheap over-seas labor?

You say "Nike" like it's some person somewhere. Who do you think benefits from Nike's profits? It's a public company. Your retirement fund (assuming you have one) probably has some Nike stock that benefits. It's not like some guy somewhere is putting all of this money into his pockets.

Whether you like it or not, Nike's factories make lives better for lots of people, both in the countries of the factories and here.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Because of our current ecconomy and the fact that my job went over-seas, I am FORCED to take a lesser job. The lesser job I currently hold is to feed my family. It is not what I CHOOSE, it is what I must do. I guess you justify the fact that Nike is growing fat off cheap over-seas labor?

You might want to look up the word forced. You could have moved overseas, no one literally made you take a different job.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Vacationing in a foreign country doesn't make you knowledgeable about it. As for their choices, they're choosing from what's available to them. It's not as though they were choosing between working for money that you would spit at in a factory, or being paid a nice salary in an air-conditioned office. It's the same reason people in this country chose to move to factories when they came about many years ago: it's a far better option than any others available to them. It's not like they draw a job out of a hat.

It does no good to argue with a fence post. I was not vacationing in any country I have been to. Yes, someone is putting money into their pockets, the board of directors is a good place to start, unless you think they all live in trailers and drive used Yugo's.

You might want to look up the word forced. You could have moved overseas, no one literally made you take a different job.

You need to concentrate on your pimples and leave serious thinking to us adults! You are 17, what do you know about the job market? Move over-seas? Man, are you naive!

You need to concentrate on your pimples and leave serious thinking to us adults!

So, you being condescending is being "adult"? Every time something like this pops up, it's the holier than thou bedwetters that are the first to start getting personal instead of just having a discussion.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Whether you like it or not, Nike's factories make lives better for lots of people, both in the countries of the factories and here.

Agreed +1

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Gentlemen (and I use the term loosely) let's get serious for a minute....

Are the labor situation in these 3rd world countries bad, most likely, the answer is an outstanding YES (in accordance to American labor standards). The fact of the matter is that these "evil, exploiting , money hungry" companies are doing something for those people, that their own governments cannot do. Why you ask, because 98% (benefit of doubt) politician are corrupt, and all the money coming into the country these politician line up their pockets. The only means of life that most of these laborers have is for foreign companies to establish manufacturing in their regions. Do they have a choice...yes work crappy hours, for nasty people, or go hungry. But have you stopped for a second and asked whether this is bad??? so so, what are you doing about it? are donating your time, talent, and money to do something for these people working deplorable conditions? NO!!!!! You may be right is stating that the conditions need to improve, but be careful with what you state. Look at the labor conditions ins this Great Country of ours....labor is expensive, that instead of helping the working folk, it really has hurt them, by forcing companies send the manual labor oversees.

Bottom line, is that is this free world economy we are here to make money, and some will live better than others. To call out someone for being "naive", and not realize that without this entrepreneurial drive to make money by the "rich" companies, many of us, and millions of people around the world will die of hunger because they would have no work.

I am so tired of these ideologues, seeking a Utopian world, were all are equal and happy. Non sense, there will be happiness and turmoil at the same time, rich people, and poor people....it is what makes us who we are. But sit in your high horse and judge companies like Nike, or Wal-mart, Target; and so on....they are doing something for many that no one else is doing. Do they need to improve their practices? Perhaps!!!

I would challenge anyone to watch a tv show called Undercover Boss on CBS, in which CEO’s based thein US, had no idea of the practices that US based restaurants were doing. In particular look at the actions of the manager at one of the Hooters, and how the manager made the girls play ridiculous games in order for them to go home….here is the link to CBS take a look http://www.cbs.com/primetime/undercover_boss/

Bottom line…if disagree with the practices of these and any other company, boycott them. Do not buy their products, and challenge your friends to do the same. If you want to make a statement, do it with your pocket book. I wonder if you have ever played or used any Nike products….you probably have some in your bag right now!!!

ahhhh...got it off my chest!

It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

You need to concentrate on your pimples and leave serious thinking to us adults! You are 17, what do you know about the job market? Move over-seas? Man, are you naive!

One of the great things that separates The Sand Trap from most of the rest of the internet is that we value one's contribution based on the contribution. If you want to rebut someone, I suggest addressing his argument and not who he is. He's provided a lot more support for his statements than you have, and seems well-informed in economics. As best I can tell, your arguments are based on some vague notion of having been to a country for some (evidently, not a vacation) trip or trips, and perhaps some thoughts related to a lost job.

As for the possibility of moving over-seas, it's something that one can choose to do for a job. I've been encouraged by a potential foreign employer to consider their offer when I finish my degree. While the location is not my first choice, when the time comes, I will need to weigh my options: I will consider the location, the job, the pay, and the standard of living. I'll compare this to the same criteria in other job offers (domestic and foreign) and make my decision.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 5109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!