IGNORED

GolfTec Golf Lessons - Feedback, Discussion

Note: This thread is 3180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got one of the free swing evils from GolfTec scheduled tomorrow after work. Was wondering if anyone has been using them and their thoughts about it.

How did you get a free eval?

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

When you enter the Johnny Walker Scotch website you'll get to a section that says...Lower your score....raise some eyebrows....

Tighten up your golf game with a free 30-minute lesson and swing-by-swing video analysis designed to keep your ball squarely on the fairway. Register now for a one-on-one session with a GolfTEC® Certified Personal Coach™. Your group will want to know your secret.

you get sent to golftec's site to register for a free eval.......they called me to confirm within 15 minutes of registering.

Hey Sand Trappers.... yes... I took advantage of the Free 30 minute Swing Evaluation at my local Golf Tec last Friday, in North Olmsted OH.

I found it very interesting and informative, but haven't had time yet to try out drills to truly evaluate their effectiveness.

Once you have setup a date & time, and confirmed via phone, they will tell you to bring a 6 iron (or any club you want to work on), and your desired golf glove and shoes!

My swing evaluator, Carl, started out by askng me a little about my golfing background, i.e. average score/hcp, typical "good" shot shape & trajectory, typical "missed shot" (for me it's a push to right or snap hook left, as well as less than ideal ball contact, i.e. fat or thin), typical 6 iron & Driver distance, etc., as well as what areas of improvement you are interested in.  For reference, I am trying to improve my iron play ball contact by acheiving a better release point that encourages some forward shaft lean to compress the ball, and hopefully some better, less arm jarring, divots.  I typically hit my 6 iron in the 160ish range, and I usually shoot in the low to mid 40's for 9 holes at our local public course, Springvale in North Olmsted OH, although I lucked into a 39 last Monday due to a surprisingly good day with my wedges and putter!

I suggest you have in mind some simple objectives for this initial 30 minute evaluation, as 1 lesson probably won't have you hitting 300 yard drives, but your mileage may vary.

You will then be fitted with a set of sensors located between you shoulder blades, and another set of sensors in a belt placed in the small of your back, just below beltline.  These sensors will then be aligned as reference points by the computer system, which is also synchronized with 2 cameras (1 located directly opposite where you face the ball, and 1 directly behind your target line).  The sensors will record the degree of rotation of your shoulders and hips independently, and probably relative position and speed of uncoiling, etc.

After some warm-up swings, you will then make a number swings hitting a golf ball into a net, off of a mat equipped with sensors as well.  You and the instructor can then review each of your swing(s) recorded simultaneously by the both the camera's and the sensors.  My instructor also pulled up a video of a Tour Pro's Swing for comparing the differences in body position, swing plane, impact position, etc with your own swing.  In my case, Stuart Appleby's swing sequence was selected as our body proportions and swinging styles are similar.  Any other comparison of my swing to a tour pro is amusingly depressing at best.  BTW, I don't think GT is using comparison to tour pro swings as trying to mold your swing into an exact replica, but merely as a guide to show what areas of the swing the pro's are more effective versus you own swing, and thus guide you to swing drills/changes to improve in those areas.

The video/sensor analysis can also show you a number of things that happen during your swing that can directly affect how well you hit the ball, versus how a pro does it.  In my case, the sensors and video were able to clearly show that the rotation of both hips and shoulders at impact were much less than ideal (i.e. versus tour pro or good amateur), and that my swing that day exhibited traits of a "tweener", meaning I was using elements of 2 different swing styles together.... basically, I was stopping/slowing the rotation of hips and shoulders on the downswing, and trying to control the clubhead release by throwing my arms at the ball and uncocking my wrists.  Yuck!  My instructor then had me do 3 different corrective drills to address my deficiencies, and any drills are posted for you under your own ID & Password on the Golf Tec Website for your future reference.

After doing these 3 drills, I was asked to hit a few more balls into the net, and we viewed those swings as well.  My last swing's impact position showed an immediate improvement of degree of rotation into a relative number range of mid 30's, versus my initial readings in the high teens to low 20's.  Perhaps more importantly, the video showed my iron's swingpath would have started to create a divot about 1" after the ball's static position!  If this ever happens on a real live golf course, I think I will pass out.

Will this swing evaluation and drills result in better golf for me?  Way too early to tell, but if I experience 1 or 2 more good shots per round, I will be estatic.  The real value for me is that I now have a clearer vision of how to improve, if just a little, one aspect of the game that has so far eluded me.  If I start to see some real improvements resulting from these drills, I will go back, especially during our Cleveland Wintertime.

My take on Golf Tec's objective with these Free Evaluations is obvious, as they want to showcase what their system can do, and sign you up for a package of lessons/evaluations.  However, following this freebie evaluation, there was NO attempt to soft or hard sell me anything.  Carl just gave me a business card with an ID & Password to access my drills, and wished me good luck.  I really enjoyed this short session and Thanked him as well.

I hope this helps, and have Fun..!!

they WILL try a sales pitch...but that is to be expected. they are very knowledgeable and a great program....for me it was at least.

they are very goal oriented. mine was to be a single digit handicap when i went in as a 13...so that is what we worked on.

Originally Posted by Fozcycle

They called and told me to bring my whole bag in.....

I am currently a 16......but got down to a 13 last summer......I have a bad left wrist...shattered it 10 yrs ago....didn't expect to ever beat a bogey golfer...but have had a few rounds in the 70's.

I want more consistency, rather than yoyoing about.

I went to see what it was about and paid the full evaluation.  I've only been to a few lessons, both in and outdoor.  Outside of rathing being outdoors, I felt they were hard selling from the second I walked in.  They also had more gadgets than whats her face in Tin Cup.  Maybe I crossed them off too soon, but for me it just seemed like it was too much for too much if you know what I mean.

Well, I was impressed.....the free eval included just a few swings, but when i saw my swing on the viseo, i could instantly see where my faults were.

The instructor said I would leave the free eval knowing what my biggest fault was and a few hints at how to fix it.

Well, my setup, take away & backswing were spot on.  My downswing was okay, but I do not swivel my hips, so I am losing power & distance as well as coming across the ball for a fade.

We discussed it, then he gave me a brief analysis of what I could expect should i choose to move froward.  I chose to at least do the 90 minute complete swing evaluation, then consider a series of lessons.  Since a friend of mine was already taking lessons, I will get an add'l discount on the eval. I think this will really provide improvement to my game.

the practice sessions you can sign up for are invaluable....way better than pounding balls at the range.

Originally Posted by Fozcycle

Well, I was impressed.....the free eval included just a few swings, but when i saw my swing on the viseo, i could instantly see where my faults were.

The instructor said I would leave the free eval knowing what my biggest fault was and a few hints at how to fix it.

Well, my setup, take away & backswing were spot on.  My downswing was okay, but I do not swivel my hips, so I am losing power & distance as well as coming across the ball for a fade.

We discussed it, then he gave me a brief analysis of what I could expect should i choose to move froward.  I chose to at least do the 90 minute complete swing evaluation, then consider a series of lessons.  Since a friend of mine was already taking lessons, I will get an add'l discount on the eval. I think this will really provide improvement to my game.

Thanks for the Johnnie Walker link! I just had my free 30 minute session and it was very enlightening. Watching my swing frame by frame it is very easy to pick out the flaws. The tips/drills offered seem like they should be helpful, although I'm sure to get the full benefit, the lesson package would be the way to go (a bit too pricy for me at the moment). If anyone is serious about taking some technology infused lessons, I think Golf Tec would be a great choice.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just completed my full Swing eval last night.....and did sign up for a lesson pkg.

This morning, I logged in and saw my entire eval & lesson from last night, complete with vieo, stills & audio!

I am impressed.......

Thanks Johnny Walker!...If it had not been for the freebie, I would not have ventured in......glad I did......It's gonna be a fun ride!

A bit off topic but still Golf Tec related.

I read on the Golftec site that whenever you are fitted for a club there, they sell every brand offered at Golfsmith stores and therefore bias of the fitter is removed.

Also their database attempts to match your swing, etc to a brand/club that fits you bets.  Does anybody know how this database knows what will work best for you?

I know computers are great but just makes me wonder how a computer knows that a Ping G15 might be better for me than a Cobra S3.

Has anybody used Golftec for a Driver fitting?

Was thinking about trying out the North Olmsted store mentioned above.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

my bet is it gives you a range of products. probably tells you what kind of shaft you would be best fit for...angle...tip style...flex...all that good stuff. i dont think it will take all your numbers and spit out the magic golf club answer

Originally Posted by erock9174

A bit off topic but still Golf Tec related.

I read on the Golftec site that whenever you are fitted for a club there, they sell every brand offered at Golfsmith stores and therefore bias of the fitter is removed.

Also their database attempts to match your swing, etc to a brand/club that fits you bets.  Does anybody know how this database knows what will work best for you?

I know computers are great but just makes me wonder how a computer knows that a Ping G15 might be better for me than a Cobra S3.

Has anybody used Golftec for a Driver fitting?

Was thinking about trying out the North Olmsted store mentioned above.

Ive been going to Golftec about a year and a half now.  It has really transformed my swing.  I dont know if I attribute it to their program or to the guy Im working with.  If he quit working there Id be very nervous about working with someone else.  We have rarley ever used any weird gadgets.   Being able to see each of your swings on the play back in slow motion really lets you know what your doing.  Its kinda pricey and takes alot of dedication but I think its def been worth it for me.

Note: This thread is 3180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!