IGNORED

GolfTec Golf Lessons - Feedback, Discussion

Note: This thread is 3154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My sense from my experience and the variety of comments on this forum is that Golftec should not be used to tweak a good swing (or a swing you're happy with in general). Their whole approach is really about building a new swing. So the benefit would be more reliable and greater for a mid or high-handicapper. Obviously this requires a big commitment. It will take a lot of time. You will get worse before you get better and may have time in the process where you essentially can't play a round because it would be too frustrating. Right now, I'm focused on getting the backswing, weight-shift, left arm stuff right and don't care about the what the full swing is yet. That makes me not even want to hit a course because I suspect it would be ridiculous. It is a leap of faith that I will come out better in the end (but I think a pretty good bet because of where I'm starting, a 16 handicap). I would be more nervous if I had a better swing to begin with. If I had a 6 handicap and wanted to tweak things, Golftec is probably not the right place. Now I feel like I'm finally building a good swing, instead of trying to add little fixes to a bad swing.

Plus it is fun. I'm approaching 40 and used to do a lot of sports when I was younger. It's fun to have this sort of challenge again in my non-work life. I am at a point in my career where I can spare the time (and money). Plus winters here prohibit golf so it is a good time to do it. It would be harder to spend so many months building a swing if the weather here were good.

• 3 months later...

I am looking at starting a lesson package with Golftec, and was wondering if anyone here has used them in the past.  And how you felt about the service and results.  Over the last two years I have been able to drop my handicap from 18 down to 9.4 on my own, just by finding tips online and trying to implment them into my game.  I feel like in order to get it to drop any further I really need to get with a pro.

I was just searching this forum for GolfTEC threads.  We have two of their training centers within twenty minutes of my home.  Looking forward to some input from people who have given them a try...

In 2004 I went to Golftec over the course of several months and received about a 10 lessons.  It has been a long time since I used their services, but here is what I will say about my experiences from the past.

I spent ~ $800 on the lessons.  The first package I bought was a 'free' 30 minute consultation, then a 60-minute lesson.  That was like $100.  This is when I got to meet my instructor, he analyzed my swing on a launch monitor and took some video analysis of my swing.  Mainly using a 5-iron.. Hitting off a mat and into a net indoors in a private swing bay/room.

Their software swing analysis tool is what they were really touting at the time... It is a color system 'Red', 'Yellow' and 'Green' on various elements of your swing angles and lines - when compared to a database of ~ 200 tour pros.  So what they do is take the tour averages - and compare them to your swing on video.  So say your left shoulder turns X-degrees in the back swing - and the average tour pro based on the data they have in their system is Y-degrees... Depending on the delta of your shoulder turn and the pros average shoulder turn - you would receive a Red/Yellow/Green number on that data point.  There are several data points that they collect about your swing.  I can't remember them all - but going off of the top of my head, they have say 15 or points that they collect.

Your swing videos would be uploaded to your profile which can be accessed online at the Golftec website, and it would show your numbers at varying degrees and angles and you could quickly see where you're breakdowns in your swing were.  Mostly path/angle related errors from what I remember.

Each lesson would be ~ 30 minutes in length - and they would take new video of your swing during each lesson and upload for your use and review post lesson.  And each time, they would give you a few instructional tips to work on.  After you're finished with your lesson, there would be excercises or drills that you could do to help improve on the issue your instructor wanted you to work on.  Each drill or excercise is tagged with your lesson video available online as well - and would be like a 30 to 60 second videos.

One of the biggest things that my instructor wanted me to work on during the Golftec instructional piece was what he called a 'Power-V'.  Basically if you draw a vertical line on my left hip up to the sky (I'm a right hand golfer) and keeping that left hip on that vertical line throughout the back swing - but making a big left shoulder turn and getting behind the golf ball on the back swing... If you draw a line on your spine angle after your full back swing - you will see a 'V' what he referred to as a 'Power V'.  Basically the bigger the 'V' the more power he said was generated in the golf swing.  Then you need to make a big lateral shift through the ball on the down swing. It wasn't exactly comfortable for me... And we kept working on that move (in the back swing) for what I felt was far too long.

Basically after about 10 sessions - we never made it to the impact area of the golf shot.  We always seemed to be focusing on the back swing which I began to feel was a money grab and that we weren't progressing.  At the time, I was ~ 5 handicap and was playing pretty solid golf.  And wanted to see other facets of my swing analyzed. I finally stopped spending money on Golftec, and was happy to just work on my own golf game again.

It was good to get my swing on video - but beyond that... I didn't think it helped me a whole lot.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It pretty much come down the instructor. I found having the video instructional as I learn better that way as it is easier for me to figure out what I am doing wrong. The rest of the stuff wasn't as useful. Comparing to the average pro is useless. They all have different swings so you would expect different amounts of hip turn and the like. YMMV. Personally I hate their business model. They are always trying to get you to buy some 6 month lesson plan and way over charge if you don't.

In your case I think I would avoid golf tec. They tend (in my experience ) to teach pretty much the same swing. As a 9.4, you are probably more interested in someone to help tweak your swing. Golftec also isn't as useful for the chipping and putting if those are some of your weaknesses.

Originally Posted by jjex2012

I am looking at starting a lesson package with Golftec, and was wondering if anyone here has used them in the past.  And how you felt about the service and results.  Over the last two years I have been able to drop my handicap from 18 down to 9.4 on my own, just by finding tips online and trying to implment them into my game.  I feel like in order to get it to drop any further I really need to get with a pro.

I'll add... At that time, I was hitting massive amounts of golf shots.  As I had my own practice net setup in my garage.  It gives you some basic swing analysis - puts it on video - and from that point forward I didn't really see much benefit.  I think getting your swing on video is the most beneficial part.  Spending time doing multiple lessons on what I believe they have as a 'Golftec' swing is pretty pointless.

Their initial swing evaluation is $165, with an ongoing $99 special.  I wonder if the initial analysis video is something that can be shared with others (on this forum for example), or if it can only be viewed via the GolfTEC website if you purchase an extended lesson plan.

Their initial swing evaluation is $165, with an ongoing $99 special.  I wonder if the initial analysis video is something that can be shared with others (on this forum for example), or if it can only be viewed via the GolfTEC website if you purchase an extended lesson plan.

When I did it back in the day... It was their site only. But that may have changed??

When I did the swing evaluation a year ago, you could go to their web site and download the video. The pro also records the lesson which is sort of useful. That stuff was cool. The fact the guy is recommending an 6  month plan that doesn't get to the downswing til about month 4 is a bit depressing (although maybe realistic:)). My assessment as a beginner they are decent if you get a good instructor but they didn't seem like a good match for a single digit guy.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

When I did it back in the day... It was their site only. But that may have changed??

• 1 month later...

I did the swing evaluation and signed up with GolfTEC five weeks ago, and had nine lessons in the first month.  That may seem like a lot, but I am pretty intense about things I get involved with.  I also did just over 20 practice sessions during the same time.  Here is a recap of what we covered in my lessons so far:

Lesson #1 (1/31/12): pre-shot routine, ball position, stance, grip, tempo and holding finish position

Lesson #2 (2/2/12): grip and chipping

Lesson #3 (2/7/12): reduce hip turn and depth of backswing

Lesson #4 (2/9/12): right knee pointed toward ball at address and on backswing

Lesson #5 (2/14/12): left wrist bow and right elbow position at top of backswing

Lesson #6 (2/16/12): head tilt at address and putting

Lesson #7 (2/21/12): hip turn to start backswing, and drop right shoulder to start downswing

Lesson #8 (2/24/12): back rounding during backswing

Lesson #9 (2/28/12): down swing club path inside to outside

I am very impressed with their system and their coaches.  Being able to schedule (and/or reschedule) lessons and practice sessions online is very convenient.  Their sequential teaching method absolutely works.  And I love the video playback.  During the previous six months I hit more than 12,000 practice balls at the driving range, and barely made any advancements.  Now I can learn something new, and within an hour or two of practice, I've got it down, and am ready for the next lesson.

Just over a month ago, I had the worst golf swing imaginable.  Even though we are just now starting to work on the downswing, I can already see that my swing is starting to look as good or better than most of the guys I play with. I feel pretty confident that I will be able to annihilate my previous best score within a couple more months.  I give GolfTEC all the credit, and have already sent two of my friends to see them.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like it is help you out alot.  I have not set anything up with them yet.  I am still trying to decide to go with local pro, or give golftec a try.  Over the last month I have dropped my index another stroke on my own.  Mainly cause I have been working really hard on my short game and putting.  Hopfully the snow will go away so I can get outside and practice.

I just scheduled an evaluation session at my local Golftec place. It was $100. I don't know why you others had to pay $165 ??

Anyways, I've been to them before, but it has only been the 60min eval session, a few years ago.

I think it helps to have someone look at your swing, find out what you're doing, and try to identify what to work on. But for me and my 14 handicap and playing this game for 25 years. I don't think it will benefit me to get multiple lessons. I may schedule like 3-4 of their 30min sessions, aftter the initial 60min. But after that I know what I need to work on.

And yes I do hate their business model. I remember when I was there a few years ago, that guy called me contsantly trying to sell me more lessons. Like I was buying a car or something. "For just $45 per month we can get you into this package". Whaaaaat, just like car dealers. LOL

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I just did an evaluation package with a similar outfit for $25. I figured that at least I would get some decent video. I went in there and filled out the questionnaire, taped some initial swings, watched a video that I told the guy to save me from and did some work. The guy was cool and we worked on the all the things that I thought we would as I routinely video my swing, but got some new insight. The guy spent over an hour with me, gave me some homework, and then went into the sell. I listened and then told him that I would be willing to pay 50-75 an hour to see him on demand and I would not sign a contract. He came back with their mini package of 3 lessons in one month for 200 but said he could do 150. I said make it over 3 months and I would do it. I got an email shortly thereafter and went to the website and saw that that there was a video 1 hour long of the whole lesson. That was not expected, but was worth it. So for $175, I am getting 4 lessons over 3 months. The guy was knowledgeable, kept up with my wit, and had awesome video equipment. He knew I was a player, respected that, and worked a deal to reflect that.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

It is 165 normally but it goes on sale on a regular basis for 99. Sometimes you need to get lessons to get the discount. A lot comes down to your options. IN my area I can find a couple of pros that use video for about 1/3 less and a guy that uses a K-Vest for the same amount. So then it comes down to which teacher you like best. I also can't imagine working on chipping/pitching indoors but that is probably a limited imagination.

You should also never pay full price for golftec. If you wait a month or two they will have a 10-20% sale.

Originally Posted by Motley01

I just scheduled an evaluation session at my local Golftec place. It was $100. I don't know why you others had to pay $165 ??

Anyways, I've been to them before, but it has only been the 60min eval session, a few years ago.

I think it helps to have someone look at your swing, find out what you're doing, and try to identify what to work on. But for me and my 14 handicap and playing this game for 25 years. I don't think it will benefit me to get multiple lessons. I may schedule like 3-4 of their 30min sessions, aftter the initial 60min. But after that I know what I need to work on.

And yes I do hate their business model. I remember when I was there a few years ago, that guy called me contsantly trying to sell me more lessons. Like I was buying a car or something. "For just $45 per month we can get you into this package". Whaaaaat, just like car dealers. LOL

Note: This thread is 3154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!