IGNORED

GolfTec Golf Lessons - Feedback, Discussion

Note: This thread is 3153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have used Golftec for 2.5 years and taken 62 lessons. It has changed my life in golf and will change anyone's if they stick with it. I have now purchased 3 lesson packs of 25 lessons and dropped from a 21 index to a 10.8. I have gotten a bit worse recently as we are working on some big changes with hip and shoulder turn. I am close to a breakthrough though. Once I make this change, I will hit each iron 10 to 14 yards further. It should take me another 12 weeks of hard work, but well worth it. If you have the money and time and you scoop it or use your arms too much in your swing or cannot hit a 6 iron 165 yards plus, then stop playing every week and invest in some Golftec lessons.

I have used Golftec for 2.5 years and taken 62 lessons. It has changed my life in golf and will change anyone's if they stick with it. I have now purchased 3 lesson packs of 25 lessons and dropped from a 21 index to a 10.8. I have gotten a bit worse recently as we are working on some big changes with hip and shoulder turn. I am close to a breakthrough though. Once I make this change, I will hit each iron 10 to 14 yards further. It should take me another 12 weeks of hard work, but well worth it. If you have the money and time and you scoop it or use your arms too much in your swing or cannot hit a 6 iron 165 yards plus, then stop playing every week and invest in some Golftec lessons.

62 lessons and 2 1/2 years to make the relatively easy move from mid to high 90's to mid to high 80's? Ugh..... :-\

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am 4 months into my 6 month lessons . I was a little leery about it but went to the evaluation and seen just how bad my swing really was , ( everyone thought I had a nice swing too ) .

This is not for the weak at heart , its a full on swing rebuild from the ground up and you better be ready for it or it will never work for you , especially for the price .

Plus its a marathon not a sprint for me as 30 years of my old swing habits and trying to get the body to do what my coach wants me to do is a tough action at times , but its baby steps .

There have been a few rounds where I was so disgusted with the way I was playing I was ready to quit the game , but my coach must be a  bit of a psychologist and can make me look forward to playing again , whether bad or good .

I know with my old swing I would of never gotten better or with any consistency  , my coach asked what I wanted out of my game after the evaluation , I told him ,  and he gave a laid out program . So I went with it .

All I know is I am looking forward to next season .

I did win my Mens club championship ( after just 4 lessons ) and that was with 2 , 32 handicappers in the field , and I beat them by 1 shot with my 10 hc. , I shot an 80 with 2 penalties ! Won a trophy and $150 bucks :-)    So yea I am happy with my GolfTec lessons so far .

I went to my local Golftec for a quick tour of their facility yesterday. I have mixed feelings about all the technology and comparisons of your swing with a pros, I am more interedted in playing better than swinging like a pro, I dont want to suffer from analysis paralysis in my journey to a better game. I like the beginning video breakdown of your swing, as well as the idea of being indoors for a while in the winter. Curious if anyone has used them and what did you get out of it.

I'm currently using them and couldn't be happier. The reason they use the pro camparisons and sensors is because you need to be within certain parameters throughout the swing to give yourself the best chance at making a good shot. The sensors will really help a few lessons in when they set them up to beep if you start to get out of wack. For instance, if your shoulders are flattening out on the backswing, the alarm will go off before you even start your downswing. I found it much easier to work on corrections this way rather than taking a full swing, reviewing, taking another, reviewing, etc. They'll also work with your swing and what you're comfortable with. If you don't speak up, yeah they'll just start over and rebuild your entire swing. My coach initially wanted me to stand farther from the ball and get much more bend at my waist. After practicing with it one day at the range I didn't like it at all and requested that we go to a much more upright swing, which I felt more confident in. Also, with my driver I like to take the clubhead outside the "ideal" range......and we worked with it, as it wasn't affecting the top of my backswing or downswing.

Originally Posted by David in FL

62 lessons and 2 1/2 years to make the relatively easy move from mid to high 90's to mid to high 80's? Ugh.....

Oh my god...i just spewed coffee on my screen reading this trying not to laugh. Well done.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Oh my god...i just spewed coffee on my screen reading this trying not to laugh. Well done.

Haha.........most of the improvement is going to come from your practice away from your lesson location. My co-workers look at me like I'm insane, but at work we have a type of scrub brush that is the exact length of a 7 iron and I'll work on my mechanics with it any chance I can get. I'll also check my swing path on the water that's on the ground. My cat sits on the couch staring at me as I do the pump drill without a club in my living room......probably thinking "what the hell is he doing?" My girlfriend just shakes her head and exits the room immediately.

A lot of people ask about Golftec lessons.  How well do they work?  How fast can you improve?  So I decided to post my original swing that I came in with compared to my swing at the beginning of my first actual lesson.  It took me a few weeks to think and actually commit to spending the cash, but after seeing today how much my swing has improved just after the initial evaluation, I'm pretty impressed.

Here's my original swing. (don't laugh!)

Beginning of my first lesson

As you can see, there are still some things that needed work today.  Still a little steep on the downswing, need to work on my lag, and a very slight sway at the top, but the results for me have been fantastic so far.  I came in looking ridiculous, to having somewhat of a respectable swing after only a few tips and drills to work on before my lessons started.

Being able to review your lessons and see exactly where your problems are is really helpful.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
I don't know anything about Golftec, but I do know something about taking lessons.  It can be a great experience or a waste of money.  My advice is to interview your instructor and see if you two are compatible.  Do they want to teach what you wish to learn?  Sounds stupid I guess but do you want to learn "the swing" that they teach or will they work with you on improving your swing within what ever athletic ability you have?  For me that is a key difference and probably something you should think about.  But I some physical damage to the old body I got many years ago and it does limit me some.  I could hit a thousand balls a week with an instructor and never be able to swing like Ben Hogan.  On the other hand if you're a young fellow with good athletic ability and a beginner, maybe that is the type of instructor you would like.  So decide what it is you want to accomplish with lessons (more specific than get better) and how you want to go about it (want a total rebuild or just a tweak) and is the instructor willing to do that.

Well I'm sure some instructors that hang out on the forum could say it better than I have.  But my advice is to be sure of what you're looking for and that is what the instructor is selling before you plunk you money down.

I have decided I would post again, first post on this was 2012,  since I now have has some experience with GolfTec.  A friend of mine recommended a specific teacher at the local store and I signed up for the Swing Analysis session, $50.  I liked the Pro and I liked the set up (engineers love gadgets) and I also liked the program the Pro described.  However the cost was a little concerning since you had to sign up for a series of lessons but the idea that if you're going to get better you have to commit is certainly spot on.   So I did and I believe it worked.  This could likely be due to the instructor who has an Army philosophy of "be all you can be" and not necessarily be Ben Hogan (who most of us couldn't be if we worked at it the rest of our lives).  He is not an S&T; instructor but he was the one that suggested I take a look at keeping a little more weight on the left leg at setup.  I have some difficulties in making the weight shift due some old injuries to the left leg.  Any way it was a good experience which has not ended yet as I go in once a month on a "maintenance contract" for tune ups and I am getting better as my handicap has gone down 4-5 strokes in the last 8 months or so.  (I know I don't update it on this forum about once ever 4 years or so).

Butch

Note: This thread is 3153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!