IGNORED

Extending the Right Knee on the Backswing

Zeph
Note: This thread is 3799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

It is supposed to lose flex yes. It shouldn't lock straight, but straighten more than it was at address.

Do you think Locking the Right leg on the back swing Causes my  Pull hook?

Originally Posted by goodguy96

on the stack and tilt system is your back leg locked or just slightly bent  on the Back swing?

It straightens , but does not lock out.

Originally Posted by goodguy96

Do you think Locking the Right leg on the back swing Causes my  Pull hook?

Impossible to tell, but I would guess no. A pull-hook is a ball starting left and going farther left. First thing to fix is square up the clubface and see what happens.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...
Is the rate of the right knee straightening indicative of what shot you may be hitting? Meaning with a push draw pattern would the right knee straighten more than when hitting a pull fade/ straight shot? Also, does straightening the right knee enough help keep the head steady by letting the spine extend more?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by miami8miami

Is the rate of the right knee straightening indicative of what shot you may be hitting?

Meaning with a push draw pattern would the right knee straighten more than when hitting a pull fade/ straight shot?

It can but there are too many other variables to give this more than a small majority. Lots of faders (Bubba plays a fade 90% of the time, especially off the tee) decrease flex in the trail knee.

Originally Posted by miami8miami

Also, does straightening the right knee enough help keep the head steady by letting the spine extend more?

The spine extends very little on the backswing. Decreasing flex is one of the easiest ways to help the head remain relatively steady as it helps the hips turn on their inclined plane.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
Originally Posted by miami8miami

If the trail knee retained its flex or didn't straighten enough one would expect the head to move down and right, am I correct?

Not necessarily, no. First example that springs to my mind:

Analyzr Image Export 01.jpg Analyzr Image Export 02.jpg Analyzr Image Export 03.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

my last lesson with my pro he said "does your left knee/ankle hurt sometimes after playing?",..i replied yes, and he said "straighten your right leg more, you keep it to flexed and end up screwing around it and the left knee, you want the right leg to straighten slightly to allow the hip turn and the left knee to kick towards the ball rather than straight forward to release the tension"

tried it, worked, no pain, solid striking, also got my shoulders on plane more

• Upvote 1

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

I'd keep taking lessons from him ;-)

Lol he actually turned up at the range i was at (he owns the usual range i use) and the first thing he said was "straightening that leg still?" I was but i was over drawing the ball for some reason, hey ho

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working at bracing against my right leg during the backswing. Previously I would sway 4" or 5" to the right.

I've noticed though that my right leg straightens up as I do this, although I don't go as far as locking the knee. Is this a problem?

You are correct....it should straighten somewhat in order for the right hip to turn but it stays out of the "locked" position. The slight flex thst remains in the knee creates the ground pressure as you slide and turn your hips moving the weight even more forward to the front (target) side

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

• 1 year later...

I love the responses on here arguing what someone like Nick Faldo's saying....Has anyone on here won 6 majors and 40 tour events? NO...  If you follow TPI and biomechanics, the right knee must remain flexed no different than any other sport in order to fire off of.  Do you throw a baseball or foot ball from a straight right leg?  Do you shoot a basketball that way? If you look at those pics, its hard to see flex because of the way the pants fall....

I love the responses on here arguing what someone like Nick Faldo's saying....Has anyone on here won 6 majors and 40 tour events? NO...  If you follow TPI and biomechanics, the right knee must remain flexed no different than any other sport in order to fire off of.  Do you throw a baseball or foot ball from a straight right leg?  Do you shoot a basketball that way? If you look at those pics, its hard to see flex because of the way the pants fall....

Here's the thing, you do not fire off the right foot. Impact has 80 plus percent weight on the front foot, so you fire off the front foot. How can you fire off a foot that has such lack of contact with the ground. Most pros bank there back foot in, you don't push off a banked foot, there's no support there. If you actually read what was posted you'd realize Faldo says one thing and does another. Feel isn't real, it's been proven by video analysis. How about you educate yourself and read the entire thread first.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Looks like it straightens but does not lock ... there are varying amounts of straightening in great swings, but it seems like great players straighten the rear leg to a great extent. Isn't that great? Grrrrrrreat!

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

http://thesandtrap.com/t/55080/myth-of-maintaining-address-flexion-in-the-rear-knee

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

;-) You'd think the point, in video, would have been driven home by now.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!