IGNORED

Nice courses in you area that allow jeans.

shades9323
Note: This thread is 5104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wayne Levi

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Galactica_Actual" You seem heated about this topic. Im just curious why?

Guys in front of us (foursome) were all wearing jeans today. Not rude. Not loud. Not disrespectful. Didn't play slow. Didn't leave any divots (as far as I could tell).

Yes, your statement was generalizing and profiling. This coming from someone who would never wear jeans on a course (though for comfort reasons).

Syncro bag
Superfast Burner 9.5° S driver
G5 4-PW irons
Burner '08 22° 4h
53° wedge 56° wedge iN Li'l Wack-E putter PD Long ballSlowly working on upgrading my old bargain bin clubs.

Wayne Levi

lol touche.

Another reason is jeans just do not look athletic. And they definitely don't feel athletic. So, why wouldn't you want to wear athletic clothing in a semi-athletic environment on a playing field. Most people that fight the wear of traditional apparel are the same people who fight everything about conforming anyways, so I take their argument with a grain of salt...

+1 on jeans not really going with the whole athletic thing.

Well that's good. Maybe the people out by you are a little more respectful than "most" of the denim wearing people by me... I have played with people that wore jeans and were not loud, obnoxious, or rude, but they were 70 years old. Unfortunately they were slow though. Hahaha

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

So, you guys that say jeans don't look athletic would rather see someone playing in sweatpants? I think a decent pair of jeans looks much more professional than sweatpants, although the sweatpants look more "athletic". Again, I couldn't play in jeans for the comfort factor, but just because something looks athletic, doesn't mean it looks better on the course.

In my opinion, slacks don't look athletic either, but they do look nice or professional, but not athletic.

Good point, I guess professional was the better word. Anyway, either way it isn't a big deal, I was merely trying to identify why a course may decide not to allow jeans.

Back to the OP though I would say that around me it is about half and half. Where are you from and do many courses allow jeans? I am wondering since you asked.

Come on guys, there's already a 100+ post flame war on this topic. And that's just since I've been around here. Why start another one?

Besides, only snobby jerks worry about what the other players are wearing on the course.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Umm, none? Even the muni's don't allow jeans.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Galactica_Actual" You seem heated about this topic. Im just curious why?

And I'm sure you haven't seen your fair share of people in slacks and polos who play slowly, are extremely rude, and don't repair divots, or are generally disrespectful? Please. If we're talking about personal experiences, those people I've played with wearing jeans are the most polite and easy going people on the course. Especially in stark contrast to the guy who plays the course 5 times a week who, judging by his attitude, hate that he is outside on such a nice day playing a round of golf. Who knows, maybe he is just noticing the fact my coworker plays in denim, and has some very serious preconceptions about that.

Of course I agree that everyone should show respect on the course. I'm just saying that the fabric your pants are made of do not dictate your behavior. So yes, you are profiling when you say people who play in jeans are disrespecting the game of golf, and that's insulting. I agree that there should be some standards regarding dress, but it should describe the condition. Sporting holes in the pant legs of your khaki's are every bit an eyesore as they are in jeans. And finally, yes, respect is the ultimate issue. Respect the course, the rules, and those around you. I have all the respect in the world for the game and its patrons, now matter if I'm in my slacks or my 501s.

:Acer: XF Leggera Driver 10.5* True Ace Death Stick 56g Shaft

Quick Strike Q4M 21* Hybrid and Q4U 24* Hybrid with  Platinum 60 Shafts

685 OS Milled Irons 5-PW with  Platinum 60 Shafts

:Killer Bee: NCW Wedges 52* 56* 60*

:TearDrop: Putter

No, you're right. I have seen plenty of people in proper attire that are disrespectful as well, and its unfortunate...
I think I maybe should have thought my statements out a little more, and clarified a little better, but the point stays the same. I just think that jeans are improper on the golf course. The golf course is a professional, classy place, and in my opinion jeans do not fit there. Golf should be held to the upmost respect and standards, and we shouldn't dumb it down, just so more people will play...
If Scotty Cameron did that he wouldn't be able to charge 4 times as much for a putter cover. Hahaha

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

This discussion again? Really?

It is not really the discussion that I was looking for. I was discussing the subject with someone in a different geographic region than me. He says, in his area it is unheard of to wear jeans on the course and no courses(in his area allow them). In my area, every muni except for the resort courses allow jeans. I guess I was trying to see what regions have what requirements. This thread was not designed to envoke the jeans vs khakis arguement.

Good point, I guess professional was the better word. Anyway, either way it isn't a big deal, I was merely trying to identify why a course may decide not to allow jeans.

I am from Northern Michigan(Travese City to be exact) and all the muni except resort courses allow jeans.

lol touche.

When I see some guy wearing kahki pants to dinner and around town, the thought "atheltic wear" isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

I agree. I've tried it and it's way too constricting. But to forbid people to golf in jeans is rediculous. It's completely unfounded and elitist.

What are you, a hipster?

Wearing skin tight jeans? My jeans fit similarly to my khakis, so no constriction here.

What are you, a hipster?

lol. Maybe more "heavy" than constricting. Somehow I don't think I can pull off anything skin-tight. c:

:Acer: XF Leggera Driver 10.5* True Ace Death Stick 56g Shaft

Quick Strike Q4M 21* Hybrid and Q4U 24* Hybrid with  Platinum 60 Shafts

685 OS Milled Irons 5-PW with  Platinum 60 Shafts

:Killer Bee: NCW Wedges 52* 56* 60*

:TearDrop: Putter

I was just giving my opinion, I am not being eletist or anything of the kind, I have grown up playing on courses that do not allow denim and the day that I spoke to our course manager about people playimg in jeans was the day that I had a group of guys all wearing jeans and all tanked up on bear driving their cart up into my back yard (I live on a golf course, 10th hole) and then attempting to take their second shot out of my back yard, when I went out to the guy and said come on guys take your punishment and take the drop shot and move on rather than take divots out of my lawn, his playing partners came over and wanted to start a fight, banging their clubs on my pool cage shouting abuse, my wife called the clubhouse and they quickly sent the ranger out and asked them to leave the course.
Now I am not saying that they behaved like that because they were wearing jeans, it just seams that in this area the people who wear jeans out on a golf course do not seem to have any respect for the course or the property around it, I am sorry if it sounds stereotypical it was not my intention.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

I think the majority of courses around here would allow blue jeans. I've only played a couple of private country clubs locally, and they certainly don't allow it. It's not like I'd show up anywhere to play in anything other than a golf shirt and dress pants. I play golf because I enjoy it, the social aspect and the nice clothes and gentlemanly behavior are an integral part of it for me.

But, as long as they pay a green fee and are contributing ($) to the local course, I don't care what anyone else wears. If someone else feels that being a contrarian is their way to show respect, good for them.

Note: This thread is 5104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!