IGNORED

My Swing (Stretch)

Stretch
Note: This thread is 3144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by parbreaker

I apologize. I am at work and glanced through the thread before commenting. I personally don't care for the stack and tilt method and didn't realize until after I posted and read back through some of the other comments that was what the OP was working on. If that is the method you are adhering to it is definitely working very well and disregard my advice.

If your avatar is you, the S&T; pattern is closer to what you do than what you seem to think (or know).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

Golf giveth, golf taketh away.

08:22 P4.jpg

08:22 P6.jpg

Seems like getting to a better position at the top is not an unmixed blessing if you're still making the same OTT move from there.

Would welcome any thoughts on getting my plane more out to the right!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I would say try to feel the hips pushing forward earlier with the right foot rolling instead of turning outwards. My feel is having my hips aiming right of target as I'm pushing them forward. This allows me to feel my arms coming from the inside.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

stretch, the key is, do what you  were doing before.  its as simple as that.

lol...jk!

do you think working with a traffic cone (outside the cone on the back, inside it on the down) might help?

Colin P.

If you want a serious loop in your swing, pretty much the opposite of what he wants. Sliding hips earlier than turning usually helps. Another feel is your left arm touching your chest late into the downswing.

Originally Posted by colin007

stretch, the key is, do what you  were doing before.  its as simple as that.

lol...jk!

do you think working with a traffic cone (outside the cone on the back, inside it on the down) might help?

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 months later...

Still plugging away. Have been working on first principles again -- stable axis -- specific focus on the left knee.

11:03-1.jpg

11:03-2.jpg

11:03-3.jpg

11:03-4.jpg

Do you like my giant cricket hat? I got a very stern talking to from the dermatologist last time I went to see her after she found precancerous lesions on my face and neck. So style be damned.

Been playing quite nicely. Hitting it straight to a little draw, 10 or 11 greens a round.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

Do you like my giant cricket hat?

That would be a giant cricket!!

pin11487th200

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

That would be a giant cricket!!

Very good!

The best part was when she scrutinized the underside of my ball sack with a magnifying glass. That's a thorough exam.

Stretch.

Very nice!  Really good progress from the start!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Great stuff! I really like your left knee movement.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Nice changes, Stretch.  Now get that left knee straighter in the last frame (jump more).  It will take pressure out of your lower back, help with secondary axis tilt, raise your ballflight a little, shallow out the attack by getting the right shoulder lower, and best of all add power.  Remember to not lose your tush line when you get the legs straightening.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

Nice changes, Stretch.  Now get that left knee straighter in the last frame (jump more).  It will take pressure out of your lower back, help with secondary axis tilt, raise your ballflight a little, shallow out the attack by getting the right shoulder lower, and best of all add power.  Remember to not lose your tush line when you get the legs straightening.

Thanks. I know, but that seems to be the hardest piece for me. See user title!

Stretch.

My fellow friend in flexion, looks good. Left knee looks really good to P6. You are getting the extension piece in the backswing much better here.

If I was looking for things to work on I would say maybe a bit more left tilt (ie getting the belt buckle back a bit) in the backswing, this is very minor. And also allowing the head to come up a bit in the downswing. I know head movement is frowned upon here but I think it might help with the flexion piece and help you get the ball in the air a bit more. Is your ballflight a bit lower with these changes, higher? same?

Michael

I have just gone through your entire thread - fantastic progress, keep going!

Are you still coming over the top? If so, a great drill I've invented (although I'm sure I'm not the first to discover this!) is putting an alignment stick in the ground at the same angle as my shaft at address and 3-4 feet to the right, so that when you are looking at your swing DTL the shaft of your club and the alignment stick look on top of each other (check out my swing thread for more details or avatar!). The idea is to take the club back OVER the alignment stick and come back down UNDER it. It is a lot harder than it looks. I've topped loads and actually missed the ball a couple of times. I can't manage to get back under the stick... yet!

If your hands are programmed to start your downswing, no amount of sliding your hips forward will solve this issue. You'll come OTT before you even think about dropping your hands. You have to re-programme your hands by really, really, really, really, really, really, really exaggerating the movement. Right now, I feel a MASSIVE loop in my swing out then in, but am still coming OTT slightly!

Once you work on this for a bit (without balls is better initially), the feeling will be that you are going to hit the ball 50 metres right of your target. That's an excellent feeling to have. It means you are starting to get there. Now, as an OTTer you have no idea how to turn through the ball. In order to get the ball to start only slightly right of the target or on target you need to start completing your swing once you are attacking the ball from the inside. It's a wonderful feeling when you get it right (or getting closer!).

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by Stretch

Thanks. I know, but that seems to be the hardest piece for me. See user title!

It was a little paradigm shift for me because I pretty much just started doing it for the first time in 5 years.  You don't want the head to raise, so the feeling is one of the left leg straightening backwards while the right shoulder drops and you tilt to the right (pour water out of your right shoulder this time).  It almost feels like you are jumping the legs forward, but the head backwards.  It's a very weird feeling at first because we are used to jumping head-first and then snapping the legs under us quickly like a frog.  You want to jump 'belt-buckle first' in golf.  Slow motion my friend.  That's the only advice I can give.  Very, very, very slow motion.  And patience.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I think I know at least one thing that will help.  The further forward your hips are while keeping the upper center back, the more you have to jump (your brain will make you jump) to make any kind of biomechanically sensible move i.e. not throw out your back, etc.  I'm going to take a different approach here, because this is something that has helped me.  When you look down at impact, does it look like this:

impact.jpg

I'm guessing you instead get the sense that you are looking down at the inside of your right knee instead of the outside.  Keep your head back (fixed in address position) and push your hips forward enough so that the right knee approaches the left foot in your vision.  When you look down, you want to see in a real sense that your right knee has gotten further along than your head has.  That's what secondary axis tilt looks like.  At this point, keeping the lower body+hips going will mean jumping because they can't get any more forward than this.  Get in this position, and then actively straighten the left leg.  You'll probably scoop a bit at first, but keep with it until you can get the right amount of rhythm to maintain lag.

[ Equipment ]

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a couple of really good Evolvr lessons recently, one from Mac and one from James, that have got me hitting the ball better right now than I've ever hit it before. Period.

Keys have been setting up with the hips a little more forward, stable left knee on the backswing, then focusing pretty much solely on getting the right leg straight in the downswing.

Don't have any new video to show, but this scorecard from today should substantiate my basic claims re striking.

Fresh breeze off the ocean, probably 18 mph or so. The 14th was straight downwind and I tried to drive it, missed right and was impeded by bushes, so had to play back toward the tee. 17th was straight into the wind, hit a hard 3 wood right at the stick but came up just short in the green-side bunker. Putting was the usual shite.

Screen shot 2011-11-22 at 1.29.30 PM.png

Stretch.

A lot of the time when trying to fix something, you may feel as if you are doing it, but in reality its not enough.  You need to try and exaggerate coming over the top.  Try to imagine as if you were swinging in a hallway.  To swing in a hallway, you need to come back over the top and have a steeper downswing.  It is almost impossible to hit the ball far when you have as flat as swing as that.  For a long ball, you must build up swing speed, and at 6 ft. 7, you should have lots of it, but don't because of your flat swing.

So if i could say one thing, it would be to exaggerate what you think your doing in practice.

"Im asking for a foot, and begging for an inch" - Hank Haney

Tiger90

Note: This thread is 3144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!