IGNORED

"you wont make it with a 4 iron."

kevinbomb123
Note: This thread is 5093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ok so this guy told me that i wouldnt make it to the green which was 200 yards away with a 4 iron. He had a rangefinder and said "you wont make it" ok so that got me boiling so i hit my shot and what happens lands right on the green. He said nothing after that. This was the type of guy that tells people how to hit shots when they cant. anyone ever play with one of these guys.

I have a habit of playfully telling my partners what

I'm going to hit next, in a Golf-Channel-commentary stylee. Yesterday morning, on a 515yd Par5, with a gentle North-Easterly downwind, I flushed my driver and I ended up dead-level with the 200yd 'in' marker. I whispered: "well, Jim...he's got a 4-iron and he's going to cut it in off the wind off the left" Thankfully, I flushed it and ended up right on the front-green fringe...
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bite. So, how far do you hit your irons?

56*- 90-100

52*- 100-120 shots PW- 130-140 Will also play down to 120 knock down shots 9i- 150 8i- 160 7i- 170 6i- 180 5i- 195 4i- 205 3i- 215 2i- 225

56*- 90-100

Pretty standard yaradages there - longer than my stock distances with the PW, 9, and 8. Bang on with the 6 to 3 and a bit shorter with your 2-iron.

No offense, but if we're ever paired together, I will definitely be sneaking a glance at what iron you're hitting.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

56*- 90-100

I can believe it. There's a pro around here, Ed Evans, who's probably similar in build. He's definitely quite a bit longer than me and really hits his irons FAR. I'm not just short, though, I'm tiny and weak. Think Chi Chi Rodriguez small. In my prime, I weighed 130 lbs, max.

Right now, it's: SW - max 80 (but I never hit it for that long a shot) PW - 70-110 9 - 100-120 8 - 120 - 135 7 - 130 - 145 6 - 140 - 155 5 - 150 - 165 4 - 160 - 175 3 hybrid - 170 - 185 These are trajectory variations more than swing speed changes. I hit it full pretty much all the time.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

Pretty standard yaradages there - longer than my stock distances with the PW, 9, and 8. Bang on with the 6 to 3 and a bit shorter with your 2-iron.

My 3i and 2i are probably 10-15 yards farther teed up. I use the 2i a lot when I dont feel good about my driver, now that it hot and fairways are good they roll a lot too which is sweet. I don't mind telling people what club I use.

I can believe it. There's a pro around here, Ed Evans, who's probably similar in build. He's definitely quite a bit longer than me and really hits his irons FAR. I'm not just short, though, I'm tiny and weak. Think Chi Chi Rodriguez small. In my prime, I weighed 130 lbs, max.

In your prime 130, what are you now? I used to be 112 about 9 years ago till I started lifting weights. I was very scrawny.

My 3i and 2i are probably 10-15 yards farther teed up. I use the 2i a lot when I dont feel good about my driver, now that it hot and fairways are good they roll a lot too which is sweet. I don't mind telling people what club I use.

I don't usually carry a 2-iron with any of my iron sets these days. They're not quite as reliable as my 5-wood, but that's not the real reason. I was using them on holes that were easily wide and long enough to go with the driver. Playing too conservatively just for the rush of striping a 2-iron, even though a driver would be 30 yards closer to the green. Weird, huh?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

In your prime 130, what are you now? I used to be 112 about 9 years ago till I started lifting weights. I was very scrawny.

I'm about 135, but it's all flab now.

Never lifted weights, but I did yoga a lot, so I wasn't quite as puny as I looked. It isn't so much hand strength that limits me as shoulder and arm strength. I could hit it farther if I could "hold the structure in place" with a faster hip turn. When I was younger I was able to keep my left side intact with a stronger lower body move at the ball. When I was in my 20s, I used to literally leave the ground on a tee shot. I just spin out with a move that fast any more. And even then, leaving the ground on an 8 iron was not a path to lower scores.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

I don't usually carry a 2-iron with any of my iron sets these days. They're not quite as reliable as my 5-wood, but that's not the real reason. I was using them on holes that were easily wide and long enough to go with the driver. Playing too conservatively just for the rush of striping a 2-iron, even though a driver would be 30 yards closer to the green. Weird, huh?

Currently I dont have a wood other than my driver. I haven't find a 3 wood I like and I can't hit hybirds. I hit the 2i solid and straight, so thats why I use it off the tee over a 3w and all the courses I play I can usually reach the par 5's with the 2i on my second shot. I have also hit 2i then 2i on narrow par 4's up to about 430yds. Probably not as conventional as some people but I would rather hit with confidence then worry about where the ball is going to go with a wood. There is one course I play that has a 235yd par 3, when I use my 2i I usaully always make it to the green unless I have to hit into the wind, it is also slightly down hill, my buddies hit 3w on this hole.

This is actually about spot on an average golfers real yardages so I wouldn't say you are a short hitter.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

ok so this guy told me that i wouldnt make it to the green which was 200 yards away with a 4 iron. He had a rangefinder and said "you wont make it" ok so that got me boiling so i hit my shot and what happens lands right on the green. He said nothing after that. This was the type of guy that tells people how to hit shots when they cant. anyone ever play with one of these guys.

It baffles to amazes me that some people think everyone hits the irons same distance. Whenever I play with strangers, I get asked what iron did I use on a particular par 3. What difference does it make??? I have different club than you and I hit different distance than you. WTF! Typically, I tell them (I know it's against the rules) that I hit a club that I typically hit ___ yards, and let them figure out from that.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Had two of those guys once; both were my friends. They told me I couldn't sink a 40 foot putt. Ended up making the putt for par, and beating both of them. Now they don't say anything, but we're still friends.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

you guys wouldnt believe me if i told you my iron yardages... and im a high single digit hcp... i live and die by my short game
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

you guys wouldnt believe me if i told you my iron yardages... and im a high single digit hcp... i live and die by my short game

Yes, but your iron shot lengths are totally irrelevant to your handicap. I know near scratch players who hit a PW maybe 100 yards, maybe less. So, go ahead, tell us, because it will probably inspire someone who feels they're short that they too can play as a single digit.

My iron yardages are fairly standard, assuming sea level, no wind, and a moderate green. Iron - Average (carry)/Max (total) 3 - 200/235 4 - 190/225 5 - 180/215 6 - 170/205 7 - 160/190 8 - 150/170 9 - 140/160 P - 130/150 S - 110/130 L - 90/110 So, if the flag is 170 yards out, on the back of the green, I'll hit a 6 iron. If it's at the front of the green, I'll bust a 7. I generally aim for the numbers on the left, but I fly greens more often than come up short with those numbers.

dont get me wrong... i "can" hit my pw to 120 if i swing outta my shoes or if i thin one really good... but its rare i intentionally do it...

55° sw - 70 - 75
52° gw - 85 - 95
pw - 100 - 105
9i - 110 - 115
8i - 120 - 125
7i - 130 - 125
6i - 140 - 145
5i - 150 - 155
4h - 160
3h - 170

dont get me wrong... i "can" hit my pw to 120 if i swing outta my shoes or if i thin one really good... but its rare i intentionally do it...

That seems like a lot of clubs from 0-170 yards (that would be 6 clubs for me), and yet you're a single digit!?!?

A lot of us longer hitters should probably focus on keeping the ball in play and making putts - hey, that is what what I'm working on!!!

That seems like a lot of clubs from 0-170 yards (that would be 6 clubs for me), and yet you're a single digit!?!?

i may not get many girs if i stray off the teebox too many times... but get me anywhere inside 120 and ill stick it close... my gw and putter work overtime and pay dividends... my sand game isnt too bad either( i tend to be on the beach alot)...

its my long game thats been my nemesis forever... most guys i play with are hitting mid to short irons into greens with a decent teeshot... im hitting hybrids and woods on the longer par4's

i may not get many girs if i stray off the teebox too many times... but get me anywhere inside 120 and ill stick it close... my gw and putter work overtime and pay dividends... my sand game isnt too bad either( i tend to be on the beach alot)...

Whatever works man - I golfed last year with a guy who'd hit a hybrid from my 8-iron distance.

He'd use his rangefinder, pull a hybrid and run the ball onto the green. He was a better putter than me, so we shot about the same score.

Note: This thread is 5093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!