IGNORED

Role Of Hips In Golf Swing?

Note: This thread is 5106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Have you verified that the range distances are correct?

He hasn't. C'mon, he doesn't hit it 300.

Guys, stop getting suckered in to these discussions. This is off-topic anyway. The end.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Read the large discussion about sliding the hips if you haven't already. To me the role of the hips is to pull the rest of the swing into the impact position. I am a long time baseball player and have trouble with rotating everything open too early. Seems the more I slide the hips the better I hit the ball. I also try to keep my hips pretty quiet on the backswing to create a little torque with the upper body. I'm not sure that this is correct, but it is what I feel.

In my Ozone stand bag:
Driver: 909 D2 9.5
3 Wood: MT-15
Irons: 1025-C 3-P
Gap: Spin Milled 52-06 Oil-CanSand: Spin Milled 56-08 RawLob: Spin Milled 60-13 Oil-CanPutter: AntiguaBall: Z-Star X

I think sliding hips is to harsh of a visual for the golf swing. You think slide and most people will slide there hips to the right of the target or towards teh target and get stuck. Really the hips are doing multiple things, i think sliding shouldn't be one.

There is a weight shift and its caused by the bump of the hips, but thats because we have two hips in a ball and socket joint. To be able to get the weight over and to turn the hips out the way, there has to be a lateral move to set the hips in the right plane to rotate around the spine and get the weight to the left side. Most people think they need to just slide there hips, which gets them into trouble. Really i think this movement can be learned simplier by just concentrating on doing swings were you just get your weight to your left side. Take a tennis swing, you start with your weight back but then you spin your hips as you transfer your weight forward. Thats the motion you need. What most people need to do is compact there movements, as usually most people over exagerate everything they here.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Really the hips are doing multiple things, i think sliding shouldn't be one.

You're a 10. (Almost) 'nuff said.

Most people think they need to just slide there hips, which gets them into trouble.

No, it doesn't. Virtually everybody rotates their hips. Virtually everyone over-rotates and under-slides.

Really i think this movement can be learned simplier by just concentrating on doing swings were you just get your weight to your left side.

Yeah, that leads to people who fake it - their weight is 50/50 at impact or so instead of being mostly on the left side. AT IMPACT. Then these fakers follow through and post up on their left side well into the follow through.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• Administrator
No, it doesn't. Virtually everybody rotates their hips. Virtually everyone over-rotates and under-slides.

Virtually everyone lets their rear knee kick in towards the golf ball instead of banking down the target line to encourage the hips to continue to push forward. Almost everyone has a bit too much "sag" through the ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Virtually everyone lets their rear knee kick in towards the golf ball instead of banking down the target line to encourage the hips to continue to push forward. Almost everyone has a bit too much "sag" through the ball.

can you expound on that? maybe a visual of someone "kicking/sagging" instead of "banking"?

Colin P.

For years I followed the common wisdom to turn the hips. Recently I learned that you should only turn the shoulder girdle. The sternum and everything below it should stay still and centered until transition when the body will be automatically flung to the target by the forces established at setup.

Hips have two important functions.

1) Get the lower part of the spine forward to create axis tilt. (Hip Bump)

2) Create torque between hips and shoulders to help generate speed. (Hip Turn)

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

Hips have two important functions.

3) Get the weight forward.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Well i guess i am just saying what i based on my swing. To many generalizations in there, sorry for that.

When i first got video of my swing, i was in a C shape, were my hips would be way past my left knee before and through impact. I consider this to much lateral movement with my hips. If this is wrong, then explain what i was doing wrong. I know i need to get my weight to my left side, for me thats to quite the hips down and concentrate on more overall body weight transfer and continuing to rotate through impact. If this is wrong, let me know.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 5106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!