IGNORED

Shorter (Probably Better) Swing? Keep the Right Arm Straight

Note:Β This thread is 798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

It can. The wrists are going to cock some amount whether you "push" or not.

Just to be clear, we're not saying this is something everyone should feel. You asked what extensor action was, not what you need to work on ;-) If you feel like your right arm pulls too far behind you and/or over bends, then the "pushing" feel could be a good one for you to change the picture.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great topic. I wonder which way is better, trying to keep left elbow straight or trying to keep right elbow less bent on backswing. I know there are training aids for either one. Both ways create tension I don't normally have but could be a good one to help me turn more. I am plagued with a poor left shoulder turn so perhaps by focusing on one or the other I might turn my body more and use less arms. I will work on this at the heated driving range today. Its all I can do in CT right now.

Great topic. I wonder which way is better, trying to keep left elbow straight or trying to keep right elbow less bent on backswing. I know there are training aids for either one. Both ways create tension I don't normally have but could be a good one to help me turn more. I am plagued with a poor left shoulder turn so perhaps by focusing on one or the other I might turn my body more and use less arms. I will work on this at the heated driving range today. Its all I can do in CT right now.

What works for me is to feel BOTH arms stay straight (they don't, obviously). Another feel that can work really well is to try to keep your hands as far away from your head at all times.

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

This video posted earlier in this thread shows a great method to get the feel. Β I work on the second part without string a lot. Β I also like the feel of the right palm pushing down on the left thumb. Β Thanks again to Stephan.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 months later...

I tried this thought (keep the right arm straight in the backswing) whilst wearing the Golf Swing Shirt at the driving range today.Β  Hit some good shots and some bad ones.Β  I'll try it next time as the things it's supposed to help with are issues in my swing.Β  I like that it's supposed to promote good, early turning of the shoulders (which i don't do), to stop the clubhead getting whipped inside early and under plane in the takeaway and twisted openΒ (which i do), and to shorten the backswing (i tend to stand up and come out of my posture at the top of my backswing as opposed to compressing into the ground - i hope this helps with this).

I'm marrying this thought with wearing the Golf Swing Shirt as i like the idea that this would in theory give me the best of both worlds - i will maintain a sufficiently connected swing whilst getting the extention promoted by the thought of keeping the right arm straight.Β  Hopefully it will prove an effective combination.

This is the drill that really got me to start making good contact, I had a few issues but one of them was the classic chicken wing, not swinging down through the ball, so I started simply pushing the pad of my right thumb against the left thumb during the takeaway and it seemed to fix the issue all by itself, this one little thing helped a lot, it's a winner.

But I don't really think about it anymore, I think the body just remembers the feeling and muscle memory kicks in, I bet there's always a little pressure there though, if this winter would ever end I would know.

This section of instruction is a BIG affirmative for me.

Works great.

Thx.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

This section of instruction is a BIG affirmative for me.

Works great.

Thx.

Yeah I have been applying this idea the past couple months into my swing and it has really transformed my iron play and overall quality of contact.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD Β :bridgestone: TD-03 PutterΒ  Β 
:tmade: 300 Tour 3WΒ Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H HybridΒ  Β  Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
:tmade: TP MC irons Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
:ping: Glide 54 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I tried this thought (keep the right arm straight in the backswing) whilst wearing the Golf Swing Shirt at the driving range today.Β  Hit some good shots and some bad ones.Β  I'll try it next time as the things it's supposed to help with are issues in my swing.Β  I like that it's supposed to promote good, early turning of the shoulders (which i don't do), to stop the clubhead getting whipped inside early and under plane in the takeaway and twisted openΒ (which i do), and to shorten the backswing (i tend to stand up and come out of my posture at the top of my backswing as opposed to compressing into the ground - i hope this helps with this).

I'm marrying this thought with wearing the Golf Swing Shirt as i like the idea that this would in theory give me the best of both worlds - i will maintain a sufficiently connected swing whilst getting the extention promoted by the thought of keeping the right arm straight.Β  Hopefully it will prove an effective combination.

I'm curious what you think about the Golf Swing Shirt...Do you really think it helps with extension/keeping the arms straight?

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra:Β :titleist:Β 

I tried this thought (keep the right arm straight in the backswing) whilst wearing the Golf Swing Shirt at the driving range today.Β  Hit some good shots and some bad ones.Β  I'll try itΒ next time as the things it's supposed to help with are issues in my swing.Β  I like that it's supposed to promote good, early turning of the shoulders (which i don't do), to stop the clubhead getting whipped inside early and under plane in the takeaway and twisted openΒ (which i do), and to shorten the backswing (i tend to stand up and come out of my posture at the top of my backswing as opposed to compressing into the ground - i hope this helps with this).Β  (Edit: btw I'm saying this 'keep right arm straight' thought is supposed to address these issues, not the swing shirt, in case i didn't make this clear)

I'm curious what you think about the Golf Swing Shirt...Do you really think it helps with extension/keeping the arms straight?

I purchased it about a year ago, practised with it a lot, but it didn't work for me so i stopped using it.

I just thought it might work in conjunction with this particular swing thought, so after not using it for a while i'm giving it another chance.

I wouldn't recommend it on my experiences so far, but i guess if this combination works for me i will change my mind.

I should also add, no, i don't think the swing shirt helps with extension/keeping the arms straight.Β  That's what i'm using the 'keep right arm straight' swing key for - i need to do this consciously as the swing shirt won't promote this.Β  I think the swing shirt helps with other things that might be useful, such as connection, not allowing the elbows to seperate.

Just a new thing to try at the range in my attempts to improve!

I agree because a lot of golfers over flex the right arm(more than 90 degrees) and because they do so, they turn less. So this will actually help with less flexion of the right arm plus a better turn to help the club travel further with the pivot. If your right arm only flexes to 90degrees at the top and you get a full pivot on the backswing then disregard this thought.

Call me Jason

I live in Erie, PA and love golf.

I should also add, no, i don't think the swing shirt helps with extension/keeping the arms straight.Β  That's what i'm using the 'keep right arm straight' swing key for - i need to do this consciously as the swing shirt won't promote this.Β  I think the swing shirt helps with other things that might be useful, such as connection, not allowing the elbows to seperate.

Just a new thing to try at the range in my attempts to improve!

Thanks for the feedback. I've been putting a ball between my elbows and concentrate on keeping the pressure points between my arm pits to help with connection. getting that right arm extension action tends to come naturally by doing that as well. But I'm always looking for that magic swing aid that will turn me into a pro in one easy step! ;-)

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra:Β :titleist:Β 

The tennis ball drill is a good one as is the rope one..

Our season here is going to start up soon the weather is actually above normal.Haven't visited the site all that often got a lot of catching up to do..

Best golf site ever!!

The tennis ball drill is a good one as is the rope one..

Our season here is going to start up soon the weather is actually above normal.Haven't visited the site all that often got a lot of catching up to do..

Best golf site ever!!

What's the "rope one"?

I'm a huge fan of this thread. This thought is the one I always go back to when things go awry. In my experience, there are a couple of ways to feel this action:

1. feel that your right arms stays straight all the way to A4
  2. feel like the distance and relationship between your elbows stays the same all the way through the swing
  3. apply constant pressure on your left (lead) thumb with your trail hand palm
  4. feel like you're keeping your hands as far away from your head as possible
  5. feel like the butt of the club is always centered on your sternum

Plus whatever other feels you can come up with. Here's a great video by @sk golf that shows a great drill for this -

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

It's in that video.. Make a loop on a rope..................

Oh, ok. Thought you were referring to something else.

Note:Β This thread is 798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!