Sign in to follow this  
calvie7

Forged Irons, how quickly the lie angle changes

Note: This thread is 2959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 posts / 17883 viewsLast Reply

Hey Sand Trappers,
I was at the range working on my irons and hitting my AP2's about 80-100 balls each day. I was working on approach shots 6i-PW. I noticed something funny. I was not trying to work the ball and with every club but my 9 iron i was within a few feet right or left of the target. With my 9i, every shot was 15 feet to the left of the target each time. After looking closer at setup i noticed that the lie angle of the club seemed different, noticeably toe up! This seemed like it would be a good explanation for shooting each ball to the left

When I purchased the AP2's i had them fitted. The result was 3/4-1 inch longer depending on club, and 2 degrees flat. This was less than a year ago, and given that the Winter here can prohibit any playing, i would say that the 9i has been in real service for 6 months. I do practice every day, but i noticed the change very recently.

My question is, how quickly can the angle change on forged clubs? Has this happened to anybody else, and when you went back in to have them adjusted how far off where they from your initial starting point? Any other information is much appreciated! I am going to go in and have them adjusted again soon, I just hate to be without them at the beginning of the real season for any length of time!

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

You should have the loft and lie checked every six months, The metal is soft, but remember it's still steel so it won't bend that easy, I played the AP2s for about 3 days, they are nice irons enjoy them

I bought the new Mizuno Mp-58's earlier this year. My pro shop told me to have them checked at least once per year. It really depends though. If you hit off mats regularly or plan hard pan courses, they'll bend quicker. Especially the loft. I'd make it a habit of having everything checked before the season starts every year.

I have some Mizuno MX-23s that I bought lightly used. Had the shop check the 4, 5, and 6 and they were all close enough that they didn't think it'd be worthwhile to adjust.

Hey Sand Trappers,

Hmmmmm...I too am missing my target by about 15 feet every time........problem for me is that I'm not a single digit HC'r yet.....

Get those clubs checked every 6 months at least. If you're at the range most days during the week and hitting 100 balls each session....they will bend a lot quicker than playing on the course.

now that I think about it, my clubs have been getting less consistant. When I first got them i could hit every target nearly every time... I am now struggling to just hit an approach, it's done a number to my confidence. I just played a really tough track today, hit over 75 Fairways, but hit less than 20% GIR... I think getting this checked will really help. Thanks for the input! The ground here in colorado is still pretty cold, hard on the irons!

I came across this post as I was searching for other people that had problems with their forged irons changing lie.  I also had the same problem with my irons going left with more draw than usual and I figured that somehow my swing had gone bad.  That was a real PIA as against the wind everything was getting exagerrated, and lately our island green was playing with a drawing wind and I was in the water way too often on a hole that I had played really well before.  I was trying to hit my usual fade but it just was too difficult and did not come naturally anymore, and I found I really had to overdo my stance to get a fade going.  The thing is that my driver and hybrid and long irons were fine, it was just with a 6i and under that I was having a problem.  Finally I decided to put some impact tape on my irons and check how where I was hitting them on my clubface ... I had one dime spot that was so close to the hosel that it was scary.  I was shocked that I was not shanking the ball.  I showed it to our pro and he quickly said "oh your forged blades are off their lie by a couple of degrees".  It is only then I found out that with forged irons you can lose your lie pretty quickly, especially if you lean on your clubs on Par 3's or if you play on hard matts or hit off grass on hard turf often.  So if you use forged irons I highly recommend that you check the lie often.

You should get the lofts checked every 6 months to a year, depending upon how much you practice/play.  If you play 2-3 times a week and practice almost every day then getting them checked every 6 months would be a good idea.

Due to the softness of carbon steel the lofts can change over time and it can mess up your distances.

Note: This thread is 2959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!