IGNORED

I like walking....

ECT
Note: This thread is 5006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, you are saying your senses are "over the cliff?"

No, and I hate Aspergers in general, because everyone assumes I have it. It was definitively ruled out. I have High Functioning Autism, like Moe Norman. Aspergers is more of a catch all used for social disorders similar to autism from what I've seen. I have a savantism, and all the physical traits of autism, so it was determined that it was just high functioning autism.

As for my feet, just another little thing I didn't get. In return for all my problems, though, I did get the savantism, so that's cool.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I much prefer walking. It gives me time to evaluate my next shot and keeps me relaxed. To me, riding in a cart isn't

I agree with you that it's not true golf when riding in the cart. On another forum, I mentioned that cart golf is an amusement ride. That struck a nerve with a lot of folks, but if the game was meant to be played from a cart, then the pros would be doing it. There are so many benefits to walking. It's an awkward situation when a friend asks you join them, and you know they will default to riding. I lose a lot of interest. Regarding your frustration over cart premiums, I once was told that a cart fee was mandatory before 1:00 pm. I paid the fee, but requested to walk. Of course I received a strange look, but they let me walk. It was worth the extra money to walk! Keep strolling those fairways, and play real golf!

I have never rode, but never say never.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Walking is fun, when I have that much time to give golfing, and I haven't just gotten off work in my 100+ degree engine die casting plant. Sadly, those times are few and far between, so I usually ride.

I don't feel like it's any less of a round of "true golf," though, when I'm riding. I'm not sure how riding to my ball to my ball should make me enjoy it less or make me feel like I'm not doing something right. I would hardly ever have time to play if not for golf carts. :)

The club selection of a true hacker:

Driver: Nike Dymo2 SQ
3 and 5 Wood: Nike Dymo2 SQ
Irons: Adams Idea Tech OS Hybrid Irons (5-PW)
Wedges: Maxfli 56* and 60*
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1 in Copper

while I used to walk up to 36 holes in my highschool days , a motorcycle accident ended my walking while golfing . confirmed this spring when the wet course dictated walking . 12 holes is all my right knee could stand , when I got back to my car the pain was such that it made my eye`s leak. I still enjoy golf but I need to ride to do it . I have 1 understanding playing partner who underwent knee replacement , he understands lol

cleveland Hibore xls 8.5* driver
Cleveland Hiborexls 13* 3 wood
Ping S 56
Nike oz putter

Walking relaxes me therefore I play better. I have more fun, my awareness is heighten, and the exercise is great. Boots on the ground!!!!!!

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

I bought a cheapie Maxfli cart and hope to walk as much as possible. They tell me I need to lose weight.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

If I'm playing in league or a tournament and other people are walking, I will usually walk, but if I'm out with buddies on a weekend or playing by myself I will always ride. Reason being, by myself on a monday morning I can get 36 holes in by noon. I don't see anything wrong with using a cart, I guarantee I get as much if not more joy out of golf than anybody else out there. A bounus is I get in around 40 rounds of golf between the months of April and October. When I walk it takes me around an hour and a half, when I ride it takes an hour or less with an open course. I sometimes work afternoons, so using a cart will let me get in a lot more morning golf than walking.
Kind of funny how people make their opinions a fact.

I choose to walk, seems like a pain in the butt to get in and out of the cart repeatedly. Saves money, good exercise, and you get to really take in the course.

When I could I would always walk and carry my clubs. But time gets to the body (arthritis in knees) and I never carry my clubs anymore (Sun Mountain cart). I do walk when I can but courses that have a lot elevation changes or great distances between greens to tees I ride. Also I play with some groups that like to ride and so I do too as I don't want to feel hurried tying to keep up. I enjoy the game in either case but feel like walking is preferable for several reasons.

Butch

For me walking has been the norm. Started playing while working on a golf course so I would just walk out onto the 7th tee by the Barn and start do a fool loop around the course to relax after work.

I only ever started riding in a cart when i started playing an 18hole monthly tournament where I am the only player under age 45(I am 22) its ok and I know the other people dont want to walk.

I mean the pros walk ill walk, especially because its good excersise!
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Having just read a long thread in another golf forum about golf cart accidents, walking is much safer in terms of freak accidents that involve fractures or worse. I'd rather walk and take the worst that can happen walking as opposed to some of the awful things that can happen in a cart especially when someone does something boneheaded.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Dedicated walker here. Including all the aforementioned benefits..I also find if I'm in a cart..and play happens to be slow..it absolutely kills my rhythm to hit a shot...drive to the next play and then sit there for 5 minutes...whereas if you're walking, 3 1/2 minutes of that are spent walking down the fairway (hopefully!) planning the next shot and/or conversing with your playing partner. If I'm sitting in a cart waiting for 5 minutes between shots...I'm getting more anxious and chomping at the bit and slow play is all the more painful. Now one thing that does seem to be better in a cart is looking for a ball...but again...I'm hoping to be in the fairway and can see exactly where my ball is from the tee.

I walk 3 times a week, and ride once. The only reason I ride on Fridays is because I play with a group of guys that are considerably older than I am and have health problems so they can't walk. I can't carry my bag though (back problems), so I have a Sun Mountain cart. I played in a 3-some today with 2 guys riding in a cart, and to be honest, I found myself waiting on them most of the time on the green and at the tee boxes. Walking, I can take a direct route, where they have to park, get out, grab clubs and walk up, where I'm already there, waiting to putt or to tee off.

my only problem with walking is that I like to drink ALOT of water on the course, so carrying about a gallon of water would make my bag incredibly heavy.

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

my only problem with walking is that I like to drink ALOT of water on the course, so carrying about a gallon of water would make my bag incredibly heavy.

Talk to the course management about adding water stations on the course. There needs to be a movement in American golf where the courses begin to respect the playing conditions for walkers. That is why I joined The Walking Golfers Society. The group is dedicated to illustrating the benefits of walking the golf course.

Note: This thread is 5006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!