IGNORED

Right Sided Swing (Gary Edwin) Discussion

Anyone out there familiar with this nice swing technique ?
It is not the same as the one plane swing or the stack and tilt.
Edwin is an Aussie. I think the only PGA Tour player using this technique is Pampling.
Its a compact rotate-rotate technique that eliminates the shift right and the shift back.
It works too!

• 1 year later...

I've been using it for 4 years now and my handicap has dropped from 27 to 12.4. Looks like it will drop again after shooting 78 on a par 71-home course at weekend. I find it great as it based on setup in the position of impact. Your so right, no weight shift in back swing and then downswing. That always used to kill me. Right shoulder would go up, left down. Agghh!!! This is just so simple. All you do is lift your hands and you arms and shoulders start to rotate, bump your left hip towards target at transition. Yours hands then just drop allowing them to stay close to your body with wrists fully loaded (cocked) and then snap them through the ball at impact (bang). I'm always gettign asked how i can hit the ball as far as I do with what they call no weight shift and no leg involvement - driver distance is around 285m (290 yards). I picked up easily 30m from my old swing. I love it as I don't have to think too much. It's just like you said setup rotate, rotate and bang!

Gary Edwin gets hammered for it - there are plenty of posts online with people doing this who just haven't tried it. He has made golf enjoyable for me.

• Like 1

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

• 5 months later...

gosh its been ages since i started that thread

thank u The 19th Hole for responding so positively.
must say i have ditched Edwin - was losing the crisp shots , maybe it was poor  timing - but as i worked and worked on it i buggered my left hip.

seems the set up position and the downswing action put so much stress on my hip.

now i am back to a classic swing and enjoy the dynamics and the more flowing back and forth action.

dam hip is better but not fully recovered - :(

I tried this after back surgery along with many other methods to help my back.  I wasn't ever really a fan they wanted a really level shoulder turn and an all arm swing.  Also the classic toe up position at P2.  It possibly caused me more harm than good at the time but, I gave it a try.  I'm sure it works for some people just not me.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Just wondering about right sided swing! Do u like it, or have u tried? Any feedback from it very much appreciated.

I am learning this minimalistic technique (if thats the correct technique/style of swing) with a coach, I like it, it seems to make a lot of sense, and has helped my game..

Love to read everybodies opinion on this, esp when compared to stack and tilt/others..

Cheers

Looseleftie

I tried it with an instructor here for a couple months.  They advocate square hips at impact which was hard for me to do he kept calling me a clearer or w/e.  I had some ok results but, didn't really work well for me.  That said if it works for you I would go with it.  It's not a bad way to swing the club

project x 6.0

the above i believe is more of a hitting pattern.  The right sided swing by gary edwins is not.  They also advocate weight left and stay left so no "weight Shift to the right"  Like one plane, stack and tilt

project x 6.0

if you really want to learn you can pay a membership fee and get access to allt he videos. I did it when I was using the technique.  Pretty much though you can find all the info for free on youtube.

In a nutshell..

- Setup in Reverse K

- Complete Arm controlled pivot. Swing using nothing but arms.

- Very little hip turn

- Toe up at A2 / P2

- Flat shoulder turn

- feel like hips are shut on downswing no clearing

Pretty simple swing they advocate getting into impact position at setup and staying there while swinging the arms.  I would try to find an instructor in your area which maybe hard because most are australian.  There was one here in NC but, seems his website is down so not sure what happened to him.  In the end it never felt comfortable for me and didn't fit some of the faults I think I will always have in my swing.

project x 6.0

8 years ago, I actually took private lessons from Gary Edwin in Gold Coast, Australia.  I had about dozen sessions with Gary then with one of his assistants subsequently (obviously Gary's hourly rate was much higher).

At the time, it worked pretty good for me, and he has hundreds, if not thousands, students (many Australian Pros) following his teachings.  He has a very nice academy setup at one of the most prestigious golf courses in the Gold Coast area.  He became famous in the 90's partially due to his success with Australian PGA players in the U.S. (Rod Pampling was one of them among others).  If you go to Gold Coast, Australia, you will lots of teaching pros and pros on tour, who all are graduates of Gary's golf academy.

As for my golf swing, I have a little bit of everyone's teaching techniques (a little bit of Gary's swing tips as well), all mixed in a magical bowl, custom-made to suit my body.

• 1 month later...

Don't even bother. If your a normal person, why would you even attempt an un-orthadox style. Golf is hard enough as it is.

I started with a handicap of 21 and started lessons from a Gary Edwin trainee and i'm hitting 40+ now. Total waste of money.

Think of this, when you throw a ball, do you face perpendicular and throw just using your arms. It's so unnatural.

• 2 weeks later...

Not familiar w/Gary Edwin but reading a little seems there is a lot of commonality with my current technique. No shift, compact, right sided. Simple.

Compact: if the human body is 1 unit of space, my swing takes place within 1 unit of space. That is, there is no shift back or fore. In fact, the lower body is in cement, no movement (shift back or up) is possible. Where does the b/s go? Dont know. Dont care. With the core fixed and my "cooked spaghetti" arms, seems to me there is no choice. All I know is I stand in the cement and pick the club up.

Skip a stone over the water: (credit Ben Hogan for the analogy). One could analyze this move and talk of center of gravity, rotation, release of energy into the target, but, Ben even mentions that if you hand a 5 year old a rock and tell him to skip the rock, he'll do it. The mechanics are instinctive.

I just described my golf swing in two steps and thats as simple as it is. How does it relate to Gary Edwin? If you do this you will feel that the swing is totally right sided. The left plays no role in "skipping a stone".  As a right handed player, the increase in power (distance) is remarkable. With the classic swing technique, I always fought the negative interference of the right hand. While the hands are supposed to be quiet on the club, my right side dominance would too often prevail. With this technique, there is no struggle between the right and left. The right wins! The left surrendered.

My pro taught me the classic swing. His mantra  "hey, your swing is good. Dont worry about hitting the ball, that will come." well, it was too long coming. After much frustration, I broke it down, went into a hitting cage and developed my own technique and for the first time feel my swing is automatic and powerful. And, most importantly, simple. And simple is repeatable.

If the classic swing works for you, fine, but, if you are a struggling golfer give this a try.

• 9 months later...
I am one of those guys, you know, the ones who know the little about a lot of different swing theories, But has been stuck at a 10 to 12 handicap for three years because I can't stick with one. Part of it Is driven by the desire to improve, which is obviously not really happening, and part of it is my personality and enjoying trying to things... Sometimes obsessively, unfortunately... Unless you are a club manufacturer, then you love the hell out of me. As it happened, today I was working on more of a slicefixer swing body controlled pivot, spaghetti arms, when I re-aggravated a bad knee that I have, and almost had to quit. Welcome I should have quit, but we men are casement instinctually at times.. I thought, "hey I remembered messing around with the Gary Edwin swing at the range once a year or so ago, so what a perfect time to break it out with a bum knee just an arm / hand-driven swing, to see what I could finish out the final 5 holes with... I hit a couple mulligans off the next tee box to get used to a quick easy snap arm swing, and I could not believe, especially with short irons, how long my ball was still traveling. Probably less effective with longer irons because it felt very steep, but I did hit three hybrids well in the final holes. I was shocked, and since my knee needs a new ACL, I think I will just play with this the rest of the year until surgery if I can just get back to hobbling. I could not believe how well I was hitting the ball and I was not even taking the club back past 9 o'clock. I lost maybe 5 to 10 yards over my full swing, in part perhaps due to the ease of delofting the club with the new wrist snap, but I finished par 5 18 with a 100 yard LW which is stock for me normally anyway. stuck it to 10 feet and hobbled off. Oh, thanks in part to ease of hands leading clubhead feel, delofting of course granted the added benefit a more boring trajectory, very punchy. I am going to explore with this while my knee is bad the rest of the season so I will let people know how it progresses, in case they are still interested in this right sided swing feedback (we nerds are), but I was shocked at the power I was getting slapping the ball with my arms and hands only. Of course that is just a feeling, the common misconception always being that just because you are not thinking of your big muscles you must not be using them, but you have to be using them, because they support your skeletal system.

Dr EmmettBrown, similar in age to yourself, and had 2 lessons with coach who teaches to the Gary Edwin right sides swing technique (close to a year ago).. I have not played a lot in last year, but came back to it last week... Just played today, sore as back, and feels still so foreign to me.. I am really motivated in regular practise just unure of this style of teaching for me!! I am happy to suffer a bit now with the hope that things will get better in terms of hitting a consistant shot...

I don't know whether I should find another coach and learn the more traditional (if there is one!) golf swing starting from the basics..

I like the thought behind the right sides swing, but it feels very unnatural if that is the right word to use here...

Are there other golfers here who use this technique, and may like to offer their thoughts on this?? I'm also wondering how many golfers into their 40's and beyong use this technique as it seems kinda of hard on body.

• 4 months later...
Don't even bother. If your a normal person, why would you even attempt an un-orthadox style. Golf is hard enough as it is. I started with a handicap of 21 and started lessons from a Gary Edwin trainee and i'm hitting 40+ now. Total waste of money. Think of this, when you throw a ball, do you face perpendicular and throw just using your arms. It's so unnatural.

I would agree if you're going for distance throwing - but in essence you are throwing the club head at the ball right in front of you. Edwin's swing is much easier to do that with, and yes, it has a less powerful ceiling. However, I feel it is much more repeatable and easier, not harder, on your body if you do it right. You must keep shoulders square and hit down on the ball. That gives you a lot of bang for energy expended in the swing. Great penetrating ball flight. You really need to feel shaft load, I believe, to make it great for you. So find a shaft you can control a shorter, quicker tempo with and you can really groove this swing well. It is fantastic.

• Administrator

This should help answer your question.

1) A lot of the people seem to look like this:

2) Generally not a fan of "one size fits all, everyone-must-swing-this-way" "methods".

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets