IGNORED

Right Sided Swing (Gary Edwin) Discussion

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Most swings these days are with a pretty centered pivot. There's no "pronounced weight shift" in the regular swing either.

Agreed, it's pretty clear that more stability is important these days.

I doubt that's an accurate description of what happens. Do you have a video of a good RSS from FO and DL views? I've seen no good golf swings where the lower body doesn't peak first and thus "lead the way." The kinematic sequence would be goofy as heck.

Just talking about myself here - absolutely it's arms focussed but I'm not a pro.

The same body parts are all still moving, though. You seem to believe that they move a bit less, but I'm thinking that might be more of a feeling or you might have some misconceptions about the modern golf swing.

For me I have zero breakage of the left leg i.e. the knee points forward at all times so it really feels like it's 100% in the arms as I described, both and takeaway and swing. The hips move but again, it's entirely passive. 

I quickly found this video:

If that's a good example, I don't see that as being anywhere near as powerful. I would agree that the parts move less (I don't really agree that there are truly "fewer moving parts"). That looks like a good control swing, but also one where you're going to give up a fair amount of clubhead speed.

Oh god this video brought back some horrendous memories. I tried so hard to mimic this (it's almost certainly the 'ideal' Gary Edwin swing) and got ruined by it. Sure it does look like tidy but it's a total distance killer amongst other things.

Perhaps I'm not a Gary Edwin swinger after all and I've just taken bits and pieces I like - loaded left side at address, no left knee breakage, and that's it. My swing is far more aggressive than what's in the above that's for sure and long may it remain.

This video of Pampling is probably a better example of power and the RSS:

Edited by jughouse

On the 'fewer moving parts' part - wouldn't you agree that if the left leg doesn't break then there is less weight shift through the swing.... and this is what that statement means?

I just find that as soon as I bring in any left leg breakage on the back swing from a weight shift to the right, I start hitting it everywhere; keeping the left leg loaded allows to me to ignore the lower body i.e. it feels like the left leg is 'fixed in place' and I can solely focus on the arms. 

It feels so ridiculously simple as if I'm cheating or something - maybe I've just concocted a swing that best suits my body shape; longer right arm than left, shorter right leg than left, slight clockwise rotated pelvis and I'm 6'7" (which might mean it's harder for me to coordinate the upper and lower bodies in a more traditional swing).

• 2 years later...

This forum is for people that are using or wanting to use Gary Edwin's Right Sided Golf Swing. This is not a forum for people that want to argue about whether it's good or bad, but rather people that already think it's good and need tips or pointers about the swing. 

I'll start it off. I'm a double digit handicap. I just started employing this swing and love it. there are just a couple questions I have about it. Is there forward shaft lean at address? Is there a hip bump and arm fall to start the transition? In a Gary Edwin transition video he claims there is a hip bump and arm fall to start down, but in other videos it's a 100% arm swing (I think). I've been doing a 100% arm swing from the top and letting the body respond. FYI I have been chunking about 25% of the time. Just wondering if I should incorporate the hip bump and arm fall.

34 minutes ago, kingfrenzo said:

This forum is for people that are using or wanting to use Gary Edwin's Right Sided Golf Swing.

There's already a thread on Gary Edwin here: 

Judging by the lack of responses there in over two years, I'm going to assume not many people are familiar with or want to use this swing. I'll probably just merge the threads later.

36 minutes ago, kingfrenzo said:

This is not a forum for people that want to argue about whether it's good or bad, but rather people that already think it's good and need tips or pointers about the swing. 

That's not really how forums work, so good luck with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, kingfrenzo said:

Just wondering if I should incorporate the hip bump and arm fall.

Incorporate.

I once bumped my hip on a brick wall leaning over to pick up my arm that fell off.  Worked for me.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

• iacas changed the title to Right Sided Swing (Gary Edwin) Discussion
6 hours ago, billchao said:

That's not really how forums work, so good luck with that.

That's not how this forum works, although some might.  For @kingfrenzo, I'm glad that you've found something that works for you.  I hope you don't feel personally insulted if others disagree with some of the teachings, there are some pretty knowledgeable folks around that might have legitimate criticisms.  I wish you the best of luck in improving your golf, no matter what path you choose.

• Like 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

I do think if someone posts "For Gary Edwin Swing Users" or any other swing, for that matter, people who disagree with the swing should respectfully stay out and let the devotees have at it. Why crash the party? Now if I post "what do you think of the RSS?" then have at it and trash it if you like. But if people are looking for like minded individuals to share ideas and tips on a certain swing I see no reason for me to try to ruin that.

1 hour ago, garyt said:

I do think if someone posts "For Gary Edwin Swing Users" or any other swing, for that matter, people who disagree with the swing should respectfully stay out and let the devotees have at it. Why crash the party? Now if I post "what do you think of the RSS?" then have at it and trash it if you like. But if people are looking for like minded individuals to share ideas and tips on a certain swing I see no reason for me to try to ruin that.

Other websites may encourage that approach, and that's just fine.  On this website, no ideas or swing systems are immune from responsible evaluation and, when appropriate, criticism.  A Gary Erwin devotee is certainly free to ignore those evaluations and criticisms, to read only the information from other devotees, but is likely to learn a bit more if he reads all of it, pro as well as con.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

12 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Other websites may encourage that approach, and that's just fine.  On this website, no ideas or swing systems are immune from responsible evaluation and, when appropriate, criticism.  A Gary Erwin devotee is certainly free to ignore those evaluations and criticisms, to read only the information from other devotees, but is likely to learn a bit more if he reads all of it, pro as well as con.

We just disagree then. To me it's a matter of respect.

2 minutes ago, garyt said:

How is 

16 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

responsible evaluation and, when appropriate, criticism.  

that being disrespectful, especially when this could be a possible outcome?

17 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

but is likely to learn a bit more if he reads all of it, pro as well as con.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

22 minutes ago, klineka said:

How is 

that being disrespectful, especially when this could be a possible outcome?

Sometimes I think reading comprehension is not very good on the internet. Did you read my first post? I said if someone asks "What do you think of Gary Edwin's swing" then yes by all means criticize it if you feel it has holes.But if a group of Edwin devotees start a thread to discuss their progress and share tips etc I don't think that's the place to tell them their swing stinks. Let them have their thread. They've likely read the pros and cons and have settled on that method as their swing of choice. Your mileage may vary.

17 minutes ago, garyt said:

Sometimes I think reading comprehension is not very good on the internet. Did you read my first post?

Yup I read it, there's nothing wrong with my reading comprehension.

I said if someone asks "What do you think of Gary Edwin's swing" then yes by all means criticize it if you feel it has holes.

The title of this topic is "Right Sided Swing (Gary Edwin) Discussion"

Multiple definitions of "discussion" include 

• the action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.
  • a conversation or debate about a certain topic.

That means this topic is the perfect place for people to don't agree with this specific swing to comment on it and explain their point of view.

So again, how is someone explaining why they disagree with a certain swing in a thread that is supposed to be about discussing said swing disrespectful?

If a group of Edwin devotees want a place where they can discuss their specific progress and share tips related specifically to their swing, they could always start a club on here https://thesandtrap.com/clubs/

They've likely read the pros and cons and have settled on that method as their swing of choice.

That's a really big assumption, and based on my experience over the past few years on this site, I don't agree with that statement.

Edited by klineka

23 minutes ago, garyt said:

Sometimes I think reading comprehension is not very good on the internet. Did you read my first post? I said if someone asks "What do you think of Gary Edwin's swing" then yes by all means criticize it if you feel it has holes.But if a group of Edwin devotees start a thread to discuss their progress and share tips etc I don't think that's the place to tell them their swing stinks. Let them have their thread. They've likely read the pros and cons and have settled on that method as their swing of choice. Your mileage may vary.

If you want to remain in an echo chamber, start your own forum or group text chat; your post is a thread within a forum that a) you do not own and b) others can join in.

22 minutes ago, garyt said:

Please be polite in your responses. This is a full discussion on the OP topic. If devotees don't want constructive opinions on the swing method, I suggest they go to Gary Edwin's home page and join a forum there. Otherwise, this thread will allow posts that do not think the method is good for them to be allowed as well as those that do.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Yup I read it, there's nothing wrong with my reading comprehension.

The title of this topic is "Right Sided Swing (Gary Edwin) Discussion"

Multiple definitions of "discussion" include 

• the action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.
  • a conversation or debate about a certain topic.

That means this topic is the perfect place for people to don't agree with this specific swing to comment on it and explain their point of view.

So again, how is someone explaining why they disagree with a certain swing in a thread that is supposed to be about discussing said swing disrespectful?

If a group of Edwin devotees want a place where they can discuss their specific progress and share tips related specifically to their swing, they could always start a club on here https://thesandtrap.com/clubs/

That's a really big assumption, and based on my experience over the past few years on this site, I don't agree with that statement.

Yikes! Again with the reading comprehension! My original post on this subject has nothing to do with Gary Edwin or the original post at all. In post #39 Kingfrenzo posted that this was a RSS forum and only users of the swing should post. I totally disagree with that as you stated the title of the thread is "RSS Discussion:. That includes good, bad, and ugly about the swing.No problem there.

In post #43 Dave PO43 politely stated that that's not how it works and anybody can reply pro and con. Again I totally agree. I simply replied and said however, if a group of 5 Keys guys, (to get it off Edwin who has nothing to do with my original point) were to start a thread to share tips on how to implement the 5 keys in the best way to help their games etc, it would make no sense for me or anyone else to jump in that thread and tell them their swing stinks. They've obviously chosen that swing as their way forward in their golf game and I'd respect that and butt out. I'm sure there's threads on the overall worthiness of the 5 Keys, or the A Swing, or whatever. But once a  guy starts a thread on "Tips on the A Swing" and has made up his mind that that's what he wants to follow, I, me personally would stay out of it if I don't like the swing. That's just me.

I do like your idea on starting an "A Swing" club for those so inclined. But is that really different then a thread titled "For A swing Users"?

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Please be polite in your responses. This is a full discussion on the OP topic. If devotees don't want constructive opinions on the swing method, I suggest they go to Gary Edwin's home page and join a forum there. Otherwise, this thread will allow posts that do not think the method is good for them to be allowed as well as those that do.

Again, my post had NOTHING to do with the original topic. I don't care who trashes the RSS or not. It was a simple comment and my opinion and reading comprehension plays a part in it being misunderstood. Read post #44 again.

12 minutes ago, garyt said:

Yikes! Again with the reading comprehension!

FFS man stop with this. I can comprehend just fine.

14 minutes ago, garyt said:

I simply replied and said however, if a group of 5 Keys guys, (to get it off Edwin who has nothing to do with my original point) were to start a thread to share tips on how to implement the 5 keys in the best way to help their games etc, it would make no sense for me or anyone else to jump in that thread and tell them their swing stinks. They've obviously chosen that swing as their way forward in their golf game and I'd respect that and butt out....

and has made up his mind that that's what he wants to follow, I, me personally would stay out of it if I don't like the swing. That's just me.

And that is fine that you choose to do that, but just because other people don't do that and instead provide their own thoughts/opinions (positive or negative) about said swing methodology doesn't make their actions disrespectful like you are implying here:

3 hours ago, garyt said:

19 minutes ago, garyt said:

They've obviously chosen that swing as their way forward in their golf game and I'd respect that and butt out.

Just because someone chooses a specific swing as their way forward in their golf game doesn't mean they wouldn't be open to alternatives or wouldn't be willing to change their mind if someone presented them with a better, easier, more consistent, etc option.

Here's a different example: A lot of people used to (and still do) think that the short game is more important than the long game, there have been tons of posts about the importance of the short game and people were dead set on its' importance, but plenty of people have had their minds and perspectives changed because other people who have researched and studied the sport found out that the long game makes a larger difference in the scoring and then commented on those posts instead of butting out and keeping their opinions to themselves like you think should be the case.

24 minutes ago, garyt said:

I do like your idea on starting an "A Swing" club for those so inclined. But is that really different then a thread titled "For A swing Users"?

In my opinion, yes they are different. If I see a general discussion post about a certain swing vs. a tips and tricks thread that is within the "A Swing" or the "RSS Users" club, I am going to be much more likely to give my opinion in the general discussion post than I am in the specific club, because I would have to join said club before posting in it and if I didn't follow that swing method, I wouldn't join the club. 

A good example of this is the "Apple Fans" club on here. If someone posted a general topic in the "Geek Zone" section talking about a Macbook or an iphone, I might give my opinion there on if I like the product and why/why not, but if I saw a post within the Apple Fans club about a specific tip/trick for an iphone, I'm not going to join that group and give my opinion on whether I think the iphone is good or not

6 hours ago, garyt said:

I do think if someone posts "For Gary Edwin Swing Users" or any other swing, for that matter, people who disagree with the swing should respectfully stay out and let the devotees have at it. 

This is what you said.

1 hour ago, garyt said:

Again, my post had NOTHING to do with the original topic. I don't care who trashes the RSS or not. It was a simple comment and my opinion and reading comprehension plays a part in it being misunderstood. Read post #44 again.

We have no problem with reading comprehension as you have so sarcastically indicated a few times now. You said basically to stay out of the thread if we disagree with the swing. That is not going to happen in a discussion thread on The Sand Trap. We can politely discuss the merits or lack there of for any golf swing method.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave