IGNORED

Lee Westwood's swing

Note: This thread is 5059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hmmm. Well, for starters, check out the post below:

Yep, part of the same 'some swing problems might cost him' comment I mentioned in my last post.Point is, those comments are fairly harmless, observations on a swing, that's all.Nothing to get so worked up over.If you really want to get worked up about Westwood bashing, you could go insult everyone posting in the thousands of 'Lee Westwood is a choker and will never win a Major' threads in countless Golf forums all over the net.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Sorry, but listen to yourself. Fix his ball position/backswing?? Fix?? And it hasn't cost him any Majors; no more than his shaky (in the past at least) putting/short game and the fact that someone else may just have gone and won the tournament in question i.e. Phil.

you see at the bottom where it says DJ Watts? he wrote the story, I just re posted it here for people to read, you can visit him at

http://smashgolf.wordpress.com/ and he would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about his opinion on Lee

Maybe the bent left arm is a power move?

Yeah, that's Jamie Sadlowski.

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

What makes me laugh (and this thread as much as anything illustrates it) is the fact that we, off our mish-mash hacker handicaps, propose that we can tell LW how to play the game; hysterical really when you think about it. Actually, what most people do is say what's wrong (in their humble opinion) but very few (none?) offer suggested fixes, how they'd influence striking etc and how to put them in to play. Anyone can criticise but it's a bit harder to be constructive.

Lee obviously is able to play with his swing, though he does have a habit of losing tournaments on the last 18 holes. I don't know the reason for why, but his swing does require a lot of timing, which could perhaps be a problem when he is playing for the win.

Fixing his swing might do more damage than good, since he's had it for so long now, but I don't see the problem in discussing what he could do to get a better swing. Also, nobody here is of course in a position to fix anything in his swing, we discuss this from our own point of view, as someone wanting to learn. There may be others on this forum that struggle with a bent left arm, seeing this thread might help them see the cause for it. He's a top player, but that does not make his swing a look of beauty and one we should try to replicate. This thread is made to discuss the swing of Lee and his potential flaws, we are on a golf forum, it is only natural that we discuss the swings of the best players in the world. Analysing their swings can help us understand how things work. If you find a coach that call Lee's impact position good, I would suggest not working with the guy. Lee obviously got that bent left arm because his head drops a lot. Tiger Woods drops his head, not as much as Lee, but he's got a straight left arm. He gets the lost inclination from the ground from dipping the head back by tilting is shoulders more, getting a high left shoulder at impact. His head could perhaps dip a little less, but that is not his biggest problem.
Maybe the bent left arm is a power move?

Yeah, and he hits what, 3 out of 10 drives inside the accepted width of the longest drive competitions? I'd rather hit the fairway consistently than 350 yards.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yep, part of the same 'some swing problems might cost him' comment I mentioned in my last post.Point is, those comments are fairly harmless, observations on a swing, that's all.Nothing to get so worked up over.If you really want to get worked up about Westwood bashing,

Insult? If you think I've been insulting you, you have a very thin skin. I wouldn't waste my time trying to speak to the sort of people who's knee-jerk (emphasis on the second syllable) comment is "choker!". Let's agree to disagree and call it a day eh? Maybe my bad humour is related to our CONservative Party getting into power over here again?!

you see at the bottom where it says DJ Watts? he wrote the story, I just re posted it here for people to read, you can visit him at

My apologies. I assumed (wrongly) that DJ Watts was your real name. I have no idea whom Mr. Watts is but he obviously knows everything there is to possibly know about the best way to hit a golf ball!

Lee obviously is able to play with his swing, though he does have a habit of losing tournaments on the last 18 holes. I don't know the reason for why, but his swing does require a lot of timing, which could perhaps be a problem when he is playing for the win.

As clear and well argued post as ever! I'm not up for editing your pictures but you say LW's arm is to do with his head dip? It's his shoulders (with respect to the horizontal) if anything but I'm not convinced it's enough to explain that left arm. TW drops his head as well but maintains his shoulder position. I suspect if you freeze-frame any number of pros at impact (with a wood in their hands) you'll see the same "head drop". Given all the current vogue round here surrounding the importance of the upper centre (i.e. shoulder centre) I'm surprised anyone thinks the head makes any difference; it shouldn't by that logic. I'm humbly awaiting evidence to the contrary though! As for Sadlowski, he hits it a bit further than 350 I think and at that distance the margin for error is much smaller; if he throttled back I suspect he'd could make 350 pretty straight.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

As clear and well argued post as ever! I'm not up for editing your pictures but you say LW's arm is to do with his head dip? It's his shoulders (with respect to the horizontal) if anything but I'm not convinced it's enough to explain that left arm. TW drops his head as well but maintains his shoulder position. I suspect if you freeze-frame any number of pros at impact (with a wood in their hands) you'll see the same "head drop".

I'd rather have you find someone that does dip their head as much as Lee does.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Fred Couples, David Toms, Natalie Gulbis, Paula Creamer... (just off the top of my head).

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

Ahh...that's too much like hard work. I suspect you're right that LW does this more than "typical" but I also suspect it's a common feature especially in anyone who gets a good lateral hip slide towards the target. Assuming you keep your head behind somewhat, I'm not sure anyone could keep the head at the address height....at all.

Anyway, LW does indeed have a bent arm, for whatever reason, but he can also play a bit.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Fred Couples, David Toms, Natalie Gulbis, Paula Creamer... (just off the top of my head).

Fred and David, not as much as Lee. Natalie and Paula...well...nobody swings like they do.

• Administrator
Fred and David, not as much as Lee. Natalie and Paula...well...nobody swings like they do.

Nowhere near as much, right.

And Natalie and Paula mostly dip AFTER the ball is gone.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 5059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!