IGNORED

Course with no slope or rating?

Philip9210
Note: This thread is 5096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The idea is that you can't count the score you recorded, either in the cases described specifically in the handicap manual because you didn't finish the hole or because you didn't play it by the rules, or in the case in the thread, because the hole was not accurately described by the course rating. If your handicap is accurate, par + your strokes is a pretty decent estimate of what you're likely to score---slightly better on average, but not enough that it'll drag your handicap index too low. Basically, to keep from throwing out a round where you played more than 2/3 of the hole, you just assume that you played to your handicap.

Note that this is ONLY for handicap purposes. Such a round would obviously result i disqualification from any competition (either failure to hole out or something serious if you didn't play by the RoG). That's why Erik says you play the hole anyway for competition purposes.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Alright, there is one counterexample---> name another. Augusta doesn't have a slope because they are too fickle to do it. I have also heard that they let people come and do estimates, but they have never actually done it officially. Most courses that have no rating are small munis that don't make a lot of money and don't see a value in getting a slope and course rating.

There was an interesting article in the April Golf Digest about estimating the slope at Augusta. They are pretty protective of that course, that's for sure.

Aznando

There is a local course that I play that has no slope and no rating, I've been using a 72 and 113 for the slope and rating, but I feel that it plays a lot easier than this. Should I try to figure out what I think it would be or should I just not count it as an "official round" on my handicap tracking software? Just wondering what some of you guys/gals would do. I play there usually once or twice a week so I was just wondering. It's a 9 hole course, so I play 18 and the par is 36(for 9). The course from the Blue tees is about 6400 yds. Thanks!

No official rating means no official hc posting. Push the course to get rated by the USGA.

I use 74.0/135 to post rounds from Augusta becuase this is what I have found from multiple sites. I typically don't post rounds from Europe because I can't translate the SS into comparable numbers.

The idea is that you can't count the score you recorded, either in the cases described specifically in the handicap manual because you didn't finish the hole or because you didn't play it by the rules, or in the case in the thread, because the hole was not accurately described by the course rating. If your handicap is accurate, par + your strokes is a pretty decent estimate of what you're likely to score---slightly better on average, but not enough that it'll drag your handicap index too low. Basically, to keep from throwing out a round where you played more than 2/3 of the hole, you just assume that you played to your handicap.

Thanks, zeg, for putting up with my questioning. I appreciate it :)

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Note: This thread is 5096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!