IGNORED

Why Would Anyone Want to Carry Their Bag?

colin007
Note: This thread is 5043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Until I start feeling fatigued after a round of golf I will continue to carry my bag. I can't speak from personal experience but I assume that pulling/pushing a cart could become more difficult where I play due to the hills. As long as your bag is properly adjusted to evenly distribute the weight and you are in good enough shape I don't see the need to pull/push/ride.

I also much prefer walking to carts. Cart golf is way less social and it turns into a drive here, drop me off and you go look over there type round, which I do not enjoy.

Waiting for summer...

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man this thread moves fast!

I forgot to add in my last post that aside from the fact that I get more exercise when I carry my clubs I'm not even sure it affects my score.... My handicap in my sig is a bit out of date (down to about 22) but thinking back to rounds I've played in the last 12 months my worst 4 have all been riding in a cart and my best 4 have been carrying my bag.... So based on how I play carrying my clubs actually lowers my score....

Any one have a link to a study that has shown that carrying you bag makes you shot worse? I've read it a few times and this thread got me thinking... is it even true?

"Let the bears pay the bear tax I pay the Homer tax!"

Any one have a link to a study that has shown that carrying you bag makes you shot worse? I've read it a few times and this thread got me thinking... is it even true?

Think i saw it on mythbusters...they said plausable. /joke

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Didn't someone do a study on carrying the golf bag and back related problems? Not finding any link between those two. You can of course get it by lifting the bag wrong, or not have it properly adjusted.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf Digest o Golf Magazine had a short article that broke down better to worse scores, went something like:
Walking with Push cart "E"
Walking with caddie "+1"
Driving a Cart "+2"
Walking & Carrying "+3"

the numbers are arbitrary, I don't really remember it exactly, they just cited that carrying the bag was great exercise, but that many people's shoulder muscles tightened up restricting movement and comfort by the end of 18 holes. Cart people shot as bad though because of the having to go back and forth between cart and ball when between clubs, they weren't as loosened up as they sat down and rode or something.

As a side note, even some of the best courses in the world still require that you HAVE to walk. I checked Whistling Straits prices the other day and noticed that you have no option for a cart there, walking is a must...then again so is a mandatory caddy lol

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

I have carried, used a push cart and occassionaly rode in a cart. I have played my best round carrying my bag and I enjoy and feel the most comfortable while I am walking and carrrying my bag. My best rounds have come when I walk and carry my bag. Its hard for me to play well riding in a cart for some reason and sometimes in hilly courses it easier to carry then use a push cart.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Didn't someone do a study on carrying the golf bag and back related problems? Not finding any link between those two. You can of course get it by lifting the bag wrong, or not have it properly adjusted.

You can get a slightly higer risk of back problems from any millions of things, it doesn't mean you shouldn't do them. I like carrying because I play much better with the bag. It allows me to warm up faster and for that my scores go down. It also is slightly better excercise.

Not to mention that I actually play faster walking than almost everyone does riding.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Golf Digest o Golf Magazine had a short article that broke down better to worse scores, went something like:

Was it the one that says pretty much ever club in my bag is obsolete? Fools.

If I'm in my own power cart and I can drive anywhere I want, I'd probably do okay. When sharing a cart I always feel rushed on every shot and seem to have brought the wrong sticks. Pull/push carts are okay, but if my only choice was always power cart or not golfing at all, I'd probably be taking up a new hobby.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I carry my bag so I can look down my nose at the people who push/pull/ride.

No. I carry my bag because I feel better about my round and myself compared to when I use any other mode of club transportation. Something about walking with the bag across your back and your hand holding the clubs to keep the chatter down, I dunno, it just feels more like golf. And I don't believe I score any better/worse based on how I'm getting my clubs around the course.

It has nothing to do with fitness or age and I "get my cardio/lift on" just fine elsewhere as I'm sure most golfers do. It's completely preferential.. argument over.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

Sometimes I take mass transportation/cab to the course so I can't carry a cart obviously and I don't want the added expense of renting a cart.

Back problems - I keep my bag very light, sometimes I carry 13, but all I have in my bag is water, balls and tees basically. I've noticed some people really keep alot of stuff in their bags, they feel so much heavier than mine.

I find it hard to believe the studies of higher scores from carrying, at least for me anyways. How can you measure losing strokes due to feeling rushed when you use a cart? It's so subjective.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

i dont know why people are throwing in their input on riding, thats not at all what i asked about.

for the record, i am not advocating lazyness. i am very much in shape, like i said, in better shape than most of the guys here. i am saying that for the purpose of playing well carrying the bag may not be in your best interests, as those who have read the articles on the disadvantage of carrying have observed.

if you say "because i can" or "because im a man" then i guess thats good enough. but if you say it makes you play better than you would by pushing a cart, then im not so sure about that.

Colin P.

i dont know why people are throwing in their input on riding, thats not at all what i asked about.

I have played carrying/pulling/pushing. I play the same with all of them. No stokes left out there. Of course, I am probably in better shape than you...

I'd much rather walk than ride & I don't want to shell out the $$ for a push cart. I guess that's two reasons to carry my clubs.

Why do i carry my bag? Basically because i'm not a piece of crap.

people who use push carts arent pieces of crap. thats just a childish retort.

when did i say that we should be out of shape? im saying we should walk the course, and exercise at some other time - which is what i do. i think there are a lot of guys who say that their round on saturday morning while carrying a bag is their exercise for the week. im not one of them. i work out 3-4 times a week, cardio and lifting. its because of that that im in the shape i am in, not from walking a golf course.

Colin P.

people who use push carts arent pieces of crap. thats just a childish retort.

Yet, you call using a pull cart "ghey"? You are pretty good at being a narcissist.

Aren't you the guy who said you have everything at your fingertips when you have a trolly (push or pull makes no difference)? Maybe you have really long fingertips, because that's no my experience - there are a lot of places where taking a cart is either not allowed or it's impractical - ever spray your tee shots on a links course?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Yet, you call using a pull cart "ghey"? You are pretty good at being a narcissist.

good point. that was out of line. what i should have said is that they have been designed poorly and dont make anything any easier.

Colin P.

Aren't you the guy who said you have everything at your fingertips when you have a trolly (push or pull makes no difference)? Maybe you have really long fingertips, because that's no my experience - there are a lot of places where taking a cart is either not allowed or it's impractical - ever spray your tee shots on a links course?

theres one "links style" mound on one hole of one of my courses that i wouldnt take my cart on to. but im not giving up the convenience and benefits of the cart for the rest of the round for that one spot on the course.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 5043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!