Sign in to follow this  
mhenrickson

Putter Fitting

Note: This thread is 3569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 posts / 1030 viewsLast Reply

I bought a new putter from Golf Galaxy. They offer custom putter fitting there, and I was hoping it would be free of charge with the new putter purchase, but apparantly it's $20 or $30 for the fitting (I got two different answers when I asked).

Is getting my putter custom fit worth the extra charge? I'm a beginning golfer (been playing about a year), so I don't know if this would be beneficial to do, or just a waste of money.

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I'm only a year in myself, but I'm thinking at this point spending another thirty bucks to discover that my putter needs to be a degree flat or whatever is the least of my worries.

I'm only a year in myself, but I'm thinking at this point spending another thirty bucks to discover that my putter needs to be a degree flat or whatever is the least of my worries.

if your goal is to get your handicap down and enjoy the game more (which will come from shooting lower scores) than you'll want to have a putter that fits your stroke.

otherwise, you can keep on playing at 28.0 as long as you want. 30$ on a properly fit putter is the best money you can spend to improve your game.

if your goal is to get your handicap down and enjoy the game more (which will come from shooting lower scores) than you'll want to have a putter that fits your stroke.

thats the most ridiculous misleading thing ive read in awhile.

at 28 h'cap what difference is it going to make if your putter is fitted or not lol. I don't pay a fitted putter...never have. Hell I don't even play a fitted iron set and I'm still hitting my shots on green. Point being, LEARN first then buy the equipment to suit your needs based on what you learn. Don't put so much emphasis on your equipment until you have a consistent putting stroke or swing. You're not getting the benefit of a fitted putter or fitted irons if you can't putt or swing... Take that $30 and get your self a short game lesson to improve your putting stroke. You can get the best fitted equipment you want but if you can't putt, then your game isn't goign anywhere.

If your new, it's no way worth it. You don't even know what putting style suits you best. You may end up changing your technique several times before you settle on what works for you. I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I have a short game (putting/chipping) lesson set for tomorrow to hopefully give me some foundation for improvement. Both areas are very inconsistent for me.

Agreed. I have never been fit for any clubs, let alone a putter.

i guess my answer wasn't really complete. i meant that with practice and a few lessons he should be able to have a solid stroke and then having a properly fit putter would help him. i exagerated saying that he'll be stuck at 28 but i know that having a custom fit set of clubs has really helped me play well. i started 1 year and a half ago and i know that a custom fitted putter really helped as my stroke hasn't changed at all since i started

Note: This thread is 3569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2020 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    • I don’t see this situation as playing through. I see it as first come first serve on the turn. You go to order food and have to wait a bit with an open tee, I’m going. I don’t see that as rude. Maybe they could have asked earlier in the front 9. 
    • New golf courses are EXPENSIVE to design, build, etc and will only continue to increase in price, and many of the existing ones are simply running out of room to move tee boxes back. FFS Augusta had to buy an entire road so they could move a tee box back recently. Which would absolutely suck because there are soooo many really really good golf courses that exist now that would be able to challenge all aspects of a PGA tour player's game if they didn't hit it so far.  They don't need to be treated as separate events, the pros just need a slight distance limiter (ball, club technology, etc) that allows them to continue to play these iconic and awesome golf courses. Amateurs can buy those balls if they want, or keep playing the regular balls like now. What about upcoming high level amateurs and how would they adjust? Well the same thing exists in Baseball. Across all levels of college baseball metal bats are used. The moment a player gets drafted and signs with a professional team, instantly wood bats. The top hitters still have the ability to hit, just like the top collegiate (or h.s.) golfers would have the ability to score with a shorter ball/equipment when they move up to the next level. That is so BORING to watch though, and it would still be bombs away 90% of the time for the top players, and that can make the distance gap between short and long hitters even more, look at Bethpage last year. Brooks didn't care if his drive went into the rough on most holes because he had the speed to get an 8 iron through the rough and still get his approach shot to the green. A shorter hitter who carried it into the same rough as Brooks but 30 yards further back probably doesn't have enough speed to get their 5 iron through the rough so they have to lay up while Brooks was able to reach the green.  Another example is comparing watching the Ryder Cup to the President's Cup at Royal Melbourne. The rough at Royal Melbourne wasn't super grown in and those fairways weren't super narrow at all but players still got punished when they were out of position because angles into greens actually mattered there.   I know you didn't specifically mention it, but super long rough around the greens is really boring too and easy for the pros to handle. It stops errant shots so much quicker when they miss the green, easier for pros to open the face and slide the club underneath the ball, etc. Pros struggle so much more chipping off of very tight lies and on holes where missing the green in the wrong spot can funnel your ball further away from the hole/green, not keep it close because of the rough. I don't think that narrower fairways and increased rough is the proper solution at all. Yup, this is part of the solution IMO. Make angles into greens matter again.  The other part IMO is equipment related. The driver is the most forgiving club in the bag, I think guys should be penalized more for off-center strikes, knowing if they hit it off the toe or heel there is a chance that ball could be off the planet O.B. Whether that's with a smaller CC driver head, lowering the max MOI, higher spin golf balls, etc I'm not sure, but I think that hitting driver really straight and really far for pros should require more skill than it does now.
    • I sole mine. Seeing your a 7.7.......did you ask him what his cap was?    don’t you just love unsolicited comments?
    • PGA TOUR Radio Listen to PGA TOUR Radio, where you'll hear the latest golf news, tournament scores & coverage and player highlights from the PGA TOUR, Champions Tour and Web.com Tour. https://www.pgatour.com/radio/on-the-mark.html Dave and I are on "On the Mark" with Mark Immelman this week, on PGA Tour Radio (podcasts). We join a really great list of previous guests: Give it a listen and let me know what you think! We recorded it about three weeks ago, and… I haven't heard the final product yet, and won't until this afternoon at the earliest. 🙂
    • I don't think you need to lengthen the golf courses at all. Maybe change the shape/architecture of the course a little bit.  Maybe they could make the fairway from tee to green a different shape.  Just take the fairways, say from 250 yards and in to the green and make it significantly narrower with a much tougher rough and more hazards for missed fairways.  The tougher rough would start at the very edge of the fairway, not a gradual build up of the rough.  If you want to go for it and you can hit it 315 yards, that is okay, but you need to hit it accurately 315 yards to be in the fairway or you pay a price. This would make most of the players calculate more of the risk/reward than doing what they do now.  The rough and hazards need to be really tough and could make it harder to hit GIR than hitting 2nd shot from say160 yard out.   Just a thought that would not require the lengthening of courses or altering the performance of equipment.  
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Jay G
      Jay G
      (44 years old)
    2. JRan
      JRan
      (40 years old)
    3. Rkrider99
      Rkrider99
      (70 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...