IGNORED

My Swing (Kieran123)

Kieran123
Note: This thread is 2421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can see the improvement. still a little over the top. but much better. keep it up.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

great job   K.  That is not over the top by any means........  Your swing looks so much better.  you are an athlete.   I like how you try to start the turn with your right shoulder.  You can see at 830 in the bs the butt of the club pointing closer to the belly button.    I would like to see even more passive hands on the first part of the takeaway.   continue working on wrapping a towel around the head of the club and  feel the right shoulder puul the butt of the club..  Do you notice because you keep the club in front of you there is a great improvement on the amount of lifting at the end of the bs?   Continue to work on the first move and it will continue to put you in a good position at the top without lifting....     I need a face-on video.   I can see why you shank it..    We need to work on the pivot.   You need to turn into your right inner thigh.  At address kick in your right knee and have your right hip angle match your shoulders.     I want you to turn your right buttock away from the ball more like I am asking of the right shoulder.  Your right cheek will go back toward the heel and the toward the target.  You will feel pressure on the inner thigh and left lat.  You can practice this indoors without a club....  This will give you more depth and then we will work on the transistion to keep from getting on your toes.

Once you have got more depth at the top.  I want you to feel as though your roll both feet toward the target.   You have a transistion move where you get your weight straight away on your toes. the right foot moves toward the ball and your right hip is now in the way for your arms.  You then have to back out of it to make room....   Start the transition  in the following order left knee left hip and left shoulder pull left and way from your center.  In your feet you will feel both roll toward the target and then the weight shift to the left heel.  It will feel as though you are falling away from the ball at first but stick with it.  This move will create a ton more room for your arms..      Check out some youtube video of    trevino, mahan,kim,hogan.   watch how there hips are so far left and there is room for the arms before and after impact.  You will see the butt of the club pass left and the club face remain in sight.  This is a cp release and  the clubface is squared by physics and requires no thought on your part.  Compression my friend.     Compression is right around the corner for you....

Kieran..Just keep doing what I told you and you will be fine.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the moral of the story is: you come back on a really good line, so just trace that same line back down at the ball. it's really pretty easy to fix. first thing, make sure you're square if not a little open to the target, cause in all your shots your stance is closed. DON'T mess with the backswing, it looks good. once you get to the top, you have to make a conscious effort not to let your hands get above the line that you brought the club back on. you want to feel like once you get to the top, your hands are cemented in air for a split second as your left hip starts to rotate. you know you're coming down on the correct line when your right elbow passes the spot where your right hip was a split second before.

• 2 years later...

I've been Playing Golf for: 3 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 8.9

My typical ball flight is: Low

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Low and pulls

Videos: ( not the greatest quality or line - filmed with GoPro with no viewer )

I really want to hit the ball higher. That is all I care about and want to work on. My shots are straight enough, not chunky, not topping - just have a low ball flight. Have moved the ball in my stance with little effect.

8 Iron:

Driver:

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Short answer: You hit it low because your club path is left of the target line. In order to hit it higher, you will need to move your path out to the right.

Longer answer: Low shots primarily result from two things* -- steep angle of attack (which drags down the initial launch angle) and delofting the club. Unless you are one of the very few people who has too much forward shaft lean, delofting is usually the result of having a closed face at impact. Why would a player need to have the face closed at impact? Because their club path is so far left of the target line that all their shots fade to the right. So they also need to start those shots out to the left if they are going to curve towards the target. This is the classic pull-fade pattern and it is generally going to produce the lowest trajectory.

By contrast, the more out to the right your swing path is, the further right you can start your shots and still have them draw back to the target. So the more you can open the club face -- which adds loft -- so the higher you are going to hit it. The swing elements required to produce a rightward path also tend to shallow the angle of attack, while those that produce a leftward path tend to steepen it, which reinforces the effect on trajectory -- as mentioned above.

So that's the theory. How to change things in practice is another discussion, that we'll have to get back to because I need to go ref a soccer game.

(* Hitting everything low on the face would be the third, but usually then people will mention thins right out of the gate.)

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

FWIW this is exactly what my Evolvr lesson is about. I told them I was hitting low hooky type shots and they have me working on a shallower downswing combined with swing out to the right. It's harder to shallow out than it is to swing to the right but it's coming along. Hitting a lot of pushes for now but they are nice and high.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Thanks guys! This is helpful. Now, tips for a shallower swing? Btw, I very rarely pull or slice an iron. Is my swing less to the left with my iron than my driver

I'm not qualified to give out swing advice but I will tell you how I'm working on the shallowing and you can take it for what it's worth. I'm trying to feel the club head get heavier in transition so that it's laid off a little at A4.5. Iacas has a thread about Elbow Position that is a good read for this area of the swing. Other suggestions are to squeeze the elbows together at the start of the DS or trying to drive your trail elbow into your belly button. Let me know if you find something that works for you as I'm still searching for my feel, although so far the heavy club head is working pretty well.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 4 months later...

I've been Playing Golf for: 4 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 8

My typical ball flight is: Low

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pull . I know I am coming over the top and am trying to eliminate that. The problem is, I can not get the 'feeling' of not coming over the top. I need some tips on how to do this.

SKIP to 0:25

Videos:

Hi there, firstly I will just say that I'm no golf instructor or expert on the swing. However I had problems with coming ott myself and the feeling I used to help me was to feel like I had a very steep shoulder turn on back swing which put me in a better positron at the top. Then I would feel like I was taking my time on starting the down swing because my tempo was overly quick and changing that got me coming ott less often/severely.

Henry

Thanks for combining ( Erik? )

SO basically - I need a steeper backswing correct?

At the risk of sounding like an acolyte, I would suggest you get a few lessons from Evolvr.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator

Here's some general advice that applies to a lot of things for people who know how their swing should look (you can clearly see the look of swinging well to the left in your video): exaggerate the hell out of the move you're trying to do (in your case, swinging to the right) in really slow motion, not even hitting a golf ball, and see what you feel. What does it FEEL like to you?

Then do that hitting a ball 50 yards with a 6-iron. Then 55 yards. Then eventually 60 yards. And eventually, eventually, eventually… 125 yards. And so on.

Now, the risk of course is that you've either not prioritized properly, or that you're not even properly identifying the thing you're doing wrong exactly, but many of you can do reasonably well at this.

----

Now, specific to you, Kieran, you clearly come over the top a bit, or you have too extreme of an INward or "IN" swing direction. I'd love to see a Face-On video because it appears that your arms don't do a great job of "coming down" quickly enough, but there's more to it than that.

Also, consider buying this: http://www.golfshopcentral.com/p-1-medicusreg-visiontrack-pro.aspx?B=1&A;=94 .

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Here's some general advice that applies to a lot of things for people who know how their swing should look (you can clearly see the look of swinging well to the left in your video): exaggerate the hell out of the move you're trying to do (in your case, swinging to the right) in really slow motion, not even hitting a golf ball, and see what you feel. What does it FEEL like to you?

Then do that hitting a ball 50 yards with a 6-iron. Then 55 yards. Then eventually 60 yards. And eventually, eventually, eventually… 125 yards. And so on.

Now, the risk of course is that you've either not prioritized properly, or that you're not even properly identifying the thing you're doing wrong exactly, but many of you can do reasonably well at this.

----

Now, specific to you, Kieran, you clearly come over the top a bit, or you have too extreme of an INward or "IN" swing direction. I'd love to see a Face-On video because it appears that your arms don't do a great job of "coming down" quickly enough, but there's more to it than that.

Also, consider buying this: http://www.golfshopcentral.com/p-1-medicusreg-visiontrack-pro.aspx?B=1&A;=94 .

Thanks.

I will try and get a face on this weekend and take a look at the training aid. I watched the video and it's exactly what I need

I like the idea of doing mini swings to get the feeling.

It almost seems like I turn my body through, around and swing to the left - rather than bump forward.

Swinging to the right is something I constantly need to work on. I've tried a lot of feels to flatten out my shaft and get the club head inside at A6 and the "swing hard to the right" is the only one that has worked for me. I just couldn't do it at all so finally out of frustration I set up my camera and took swings with no ball and did everything I could to swing EXTREMELY rightwards until I started to see the right picture on video. When I finally added a ball I was determined to not change anything and swing HARD RIGHT even if it meant missing the ball completely, I was 100% positive I was going to shank the shit out of it but, much to my surprise, the little ****er sailed off into a high push draw. I still struggle with trusting it and often revert back to my old crappy, swipey, cut across the ball swing but at least I know what I need to do to get the path where I want it. Sometimes my face will stay with the path and I'll hit epic pushes or, in an attempt to avoid the epic pushes, I'll come in too square and hook it off the planet but those misses tell me I'm on the right path as far as path is concerned.

Also, when I get that path happening correctly it REALLY makes a lot of other things easier to do like rolling the trail foot, sliding the hips, not standing up, better extension and so on. I guess that is why it's my priority piece, because it helps improve so many other pieces.

Good luck Kieran, swing right and kick ass!

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 2421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!