IGNORED

Tour Pros: Draw v. Fade

trumps4
Note: This thread is 3155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes, it used to be.

So, now which is his stock shot? I love that big push-draw with his 3 wood :D

I'm not a Pro, but I will like to say that when I started playing golf I used to slice the ball a lot! So now I kinda hate when my ball goes to the right, so now I like to hit it straight or a little draw. Regards!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

So, now which is his stock shot? I love that big push-draw with his 3 wood :D

I'm the same way, I so dislike seeing my ball fading. I've been slowing working in a draw, really slowly.

The right to left ball flight just looks much nicer to my eye.

~It's the Indian not the Arrow ~

In my bag:
Driver: X460
3 Wood: WarbirdIrons: X18 Pros (3-PW)56 degree wedge: Oil can60 degree wedge: FeO2Putter: Desert Club: ISI 8 Iron~Still looking for a Straw hat~

The whole issue of a draw versus a fade is strongly correlated to the ball strikeing ability of the golfer. A really great ball striker needs his "go-to" shot but can work it either way. Most golfers who have played a long time know that when playing a draw, it is typically reliable but when you miss, the results are long and roll more left than a fade will roll right or fly long. In other words, a mistake where the ball draws past the target line can be a big mistake. A straight shot that falls right a yard or so is the safest shot, but not always the desired shot. I think the longer you play this game the more you want to have good mastery of being able to hit a baby fade because hitting a draw is much easier and natural, but you always know in the back of your mind that if you pull it a little, it could be a very bad shot. This assumes distance is not a problem and for most pros, of course it is not. If distance is an issue, or you want to be super long, hit a high draw.

This is all nonsense for golfers who don't hit the inside back of the ball. If you are an across the line swinger, the fade that turns into a slice is the worst outcome (unless you hit the dreaded pull.) I envy those guys that can play a completely controllable slight fade that doesn't go crazy even when the wind is on their back (left to right wind.) I think almost anyone would trade their "go-to" shot for Trevino's.

RC

I really dislike hitting a fade and prefer to hit a draw on every shot.

Same here.

I used to have a fade up until last year and now I've been working with a draw. :)
S9-1 Offset 10.5*
S2 3-W
S9-1 5-W
CPR Rescue 3 Hybrid
AP1 IronsVokey Wedges 56* and 60* Ghost Putter                                                                     Low Score l 71, Par 72 Tiffany Greens (6 Birdies/5 Bogeys)

I think it's a personal matter. The fade takes alot of flack because it's seen as a bad shot for some dumb reason. Draw or fade, the face isn't square to the swing path so either way you haven't made a perfect shot, per say.

If you fight a hook, a slight fade that turns into a small draw at worst can be a great shot to play.

......and yes, back in the Butch day's, Tiger played a draw as his "stock shot". Funny thing is, I've heard many announcers say otherwise, apparently they're in la-la land.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Either or, they don't hit big fades or draws. Most pros hit pretty darn straight balls with 5 yards either way. They can and will hit the big hook or fade, but they don't hit these big sweeping draws. Unless your Bubba who has never won. If I had my choice, I'd hit a push fade exclusively since I am LH and no course sets up well for my LH draw, but right now I can't hit a fade with confidence or power. I will stick with my draw. When it is on, it is almost a dead straight ball with a five yard draw. It isn't a running hook.

Brian

I hit a 6-10 yard draw, but can play a fade pretty well if I need to.

I personally like a draw instead of a fade....I dunno why?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

If I had my choice, I'd hit a push fade exclusively since I am LH and no course sets up well for my LH draw

THANK YOU!

As a lefty I agree that it would be more advantageous to hit a stock baby cut however EVERY teacher I have seen insists on getting me to draw the ball (its my natural shot anyway). I explained this to one instructor and his response was that the cut shot encouraged bad habits! Luckily for me when I play a course with alot of dogleg lefts I get to use the driver more (pretty much 3W exclusive off the tee these days) and tee up a huge, high slice!

It sounds like there is not a definitive answer to which shot shape "most" touring pros prefer to play. This seems to suggest that there is nothing inherently better or worse about either shot because the people playing the game at it's highest level are made up of both drawers and faders. I guess the best answer is that the pros hit the ball pretty straight. Period.

It sounds like there is not a definitive answer to which shot shape "most" touring pros prefer to play. This seems to suggest that there is nothing inherently better or worse about either shot because the people playing the game at it's highest level are made up of both drawers and faders. I guess the best answer is that the pros hit the ball pretty straight. Period.

thats true. but list who you think the five best ball strikers of all time are. what do or did they play? everybodys list will be different but mine has 3 fades, a literally straight hitter and a guy who can't make up his mind. i think itd be interesting to see a majors wins breakdown throughout history of the ballflight of the winners and see which one wins. one of yall should do that as an experiment. im too lazy

I believe when Tiger was talking about his comeback prior to Quail Hollow, he said he was playing better because he was drawing his ball more consistently. He said he likes it when his natural ball flight is a draw because then its easy to hit a fade. But when his natural ball flight is fading, then its hard to work in a draw.

I like hitting a fade more than a draw, it feels easier to control. I've had an OTT swing for some years, which recently got re-routed to an in-to-out. Too much in-to-out I should mention, but I'm still not a fan of it and set up trying to hit a fade when I can.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have learnt to enbrace the fade and while I won't stop practicing hitting draws until I can hit them consistently I like the fade...

From personal experience I used to hate a fade as when I started out what started as a gental fade used to end up 3 fairways over!!

To the OP - I would say that most pros go to shot would be a draw... This is based solely on what I see on TV!!

"Let the bears pay the bear tax I pay the Homer tax!"

When striking the ball okay, I play for the following (typically).

Driver, 3w, 5w/Fybrid = Straight or slight draw
3-5 irons = straight/draw off a tee straight/fade off turf
6-8 = straight
9 = straight/draw
52/56 = straight
60 = slight cut

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I have a massive draw all too often; it ain't no "baby draw unfortunately."
I miss straight. I like straight (although plenty say there's no such). But I don't miss slice.

My swing is in tatters right now — bad contact — thin, fat, hosel, all over the place, with the usual dose of pull hooks and a few good ones mixed in, just to keep me confused. I detected some funky footwork, but there's more than that going wrong, I suspect.

I have to get back to a Pro, as soon as the budget will permit.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Note: This thread is 3155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!