IGNORED

Tour Pros: Draw v. Fade

trumps4
Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been told by countless buddies that most pros favor a fade. However, if I understood correctly, I think I heard a commentator say this past weekend that "so-and-so likes to draw the ball like most other PGA players."
Having only been to a couple PGA tour events, I don't think I'd say most pros favor any particular ball flight.
What say you? Secondly, if there is a preferred pro ball-flight, why do you think the pros prefer it?

I have been told by countless buddies that most pros favor a fade. However, if I understood correctly, I think I heard a commentator say this past weekend that "so-and-so likes to draw the ball like most other PGA players."

Usually a fade is more controllable of a shot. Plus it will give a little bit more spin when hit, so I'd think the pro's would play it more often now that they have the new groove rule in effect. That's why Tiger's go-to shot is a fade.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I took at golf lesson with a former player a couple weeks ago, he never won anything and was only there for a couple years but he said to embrace a nice fade and that there has been alot more pros become successful who play a fade as opposed to a draw. Most golfers who have a fade it comes naturally and over time consistent.

Driver- Titleist 910 D3 9.5

3 Wood- Burner 15 degree
Irons- Slingshot 4I-AW
Hybrid- CPR 3 22 degree
Putter- White Hot XG 8

I wish i had my fade again, its a pretty shot. Power-Fade, best thing there is.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would take a consistant fade or a fade as a miss any day over the unpredictability of a draw and the even worse mishit hook.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

I think the prettiest shot is straight and falls one yard right. If you can hit those inside 175 yards, you can score.

RC

Wow, I'm gonna go out and be the minority on this thread. I actually prefer a slow draw and just love the way it looks. I also like a nice controlled fade though, but a slight draw towards to the right spot is money. Good thread!
Whats In My Hoofer Bag

R9 460 9.5 degrees
909 F2 15.5 degrees
909H 19 degrees AP2 4-PW (Rifle Project X 5.5) Spin Milled 52, 56 & 60 Degrees Studio Select Squareback 2 Pro V-1 Favorite golfer: Zach Johnson

i hate draws. i hit em when i have too, but there just too unpredictable and IMHO ugly. but i'm not a pro. i do know a few. they all have a stock shot which is either a draw or a fade, never straight. but honestly, i've never met a pro who couldn't hit both on command and most (not all) can hit both just as well, just trust one a little more than the other. ive studied a lot of swings and players throughout history, and I believe the best ball strikers we have seen hit fades. when tiger used to be a good ball striker, he hit a fade. ben hogan is (i think) the best ball striker of all time and he hit almost exclusively a baby fade. trevino is the secondbest and he hit a fade. nicklaus hit a fade and he was the best until he got to about a 7 iron on down. i think sergio is the best currently on tour, and he hits mostly a draw. so either one works, but it seems the majority of good strikers hit fades. please don't bash, just my opnions

i can hit a power fade with the best of them. and i don't mind it, i actually prefer hitting it. but the problem comes in about 2 or 3 times a round when i need that draw, and end up push slicing it or pull hooking it into the woods.

A fade is the most consistent shot to play for most golfers. Whether one chooses to play a draw, or fade, they should commit themselves to practice one ball flight for consistent play.

G10 Driver Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 65 Stiff
G5 3-Wood Aldila NV65-Stiff
G15 20 Hybrid TFC stiff
I15 Irons 4-P
S/M Black Nickel 52 56 60 Marxman Mini 33" Tour B330 RXCarroll Valley Resort, Fairfield PA Rating: 72.3 Slope: 128www.carrollvalley.com

• Administrator
when tiger used to be a good ball striker, he hit a fade.

No he didn't. His stock shot was a baby draw until he really got into his work with Hank Haney (at which point he became incapable of hitting a baby draw - instead opting for small to large blocks and the occasional flip hook). He's said so numerous times, has been recorded on video as saying such, and I've seen it in person.

To the OP, your buddy was right - most PGA Tour players play a baby draw as their stock shot. It's just as easy - perhaps easier - to control than a fade if you understand how to create a draw. A pull-draw caused by "releasing the club" is tough to control, you bet. But a push draw? It's as easy to control as the push-fades played by Hogan and Trevino.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

from personal experience i dislike fades when playing when its windy. My draw seems much better. I have a friend who plays exclusively a fade (borderline slice and hes a scratch) and the wind doesnt hit his shots at all. Its mindblowing.

i think pros favor the fade because they can hit it much higher and land softer

Ping G15 9 degree
Ping G15 4 wood 17 degree
Ping S56
Ping Tour S 52,56,60
Nike Method 01Pro V

• Administrator
i think pros favor the fade because they can hit it much higher and land softer

A push fade and a push draw will go the same height. The spin is simply to the left instead of the right. A lefty's push-draw would have the same flight as a righty's push-fade, and vice versa.

Pros don't hit pull-draws, but a few do hit pull-fades, and they're low-ball hitters. Lee Trevino was a push fader with a really low ball flight, for example. Hogan was mid-height, and Nicklaus was high - but all were push-faders of the golf ball. You can hit towering draws just as easily as you can hit towering fades.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think I saw a video in which Tiger said that his "stock" shot was a 1 - 2 yard draw. Stricker, Kenny Perry plays a draw too.

Greetings!
  • Like 1

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

• Administrator
I think I saw a video in which Tiger said that his "stock" shot was a 1 - 2 yard draw.

Yes, it used to be.

Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!