IGNORED

Distance control

Note: This thread is 5081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do u guys do to control the distance on different shots especially pitch shots? For instance I hit my PW 115 but if I wanted to go 100 I have trouble. I have been trying choking down on the club some with good results but just wanted to see what everyone else does

I practice these shots at the range a lot but I also try these in rounds. At the range, I pick out 100 yard target and with my PW or 52* I see what kind of swing it takes to get there. That's all I can really recommend. What's even more convoluted is you can take a 5i and get it 100 yards if you had to...mostly on roll but still.

Most folks go to the range and hit full on, grip it and rip it swings. For me, since I don't get out much to play right now, I use the range much more effeciently than before. I'll hit only 8,9,PW and just shoot for one target the entire bucket, trying different swings or ball placement. Much more enjoyable.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

If I want my PW to go a little less, I will narrow my stance more which means I won't be able to turn back as far but still feel like im doing a full swin without having to choke down, this is wha most pros do aswell.

To control distance on pitches, I just adjust how far back I swing the club. I can also use different trajectories and different amounts of spin, but that's another story.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yep, I like the shortend back swing, like 1/3-2/3-full or 1/4-2/4-3/4-full. That system needs practice, "callibration" plus a cheat-sheet (number of wedges * different backswing lengths). Did it once, reassures me on the course. Was lost on the course yesterday w/o my distance sheet. Do I need a caddie?
Opening up the clubface adds another layer of possibilities (complexities) - thats for the Phils amoung us.

Grip down on a full swing is another easy adjustment to get just a bit distance off a club like in your case. Since a full swing is the easiest to control, I try to grip down before changing to a club were I have to hit it extra far or just perfect.

The easiest thing that I have found is to adjust my grip and/or backswing. I can also combine that with adjusting the ball in my stance. Sometimes that will deloft the club a bit and can adjust distance. Doing these things I can adjust the distance of a club to a 1/2 club longer and as much as 2 clubs shorter. It is much easier to score when you have options and don't have to rely on one club/one distance.

The one thing I always try and do is maintain the same pace on the downswing. You can shorten the club and the swing, but you still have to be accelerating through the ball.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I control distance with the length of my backswing. With a wedge, I have a full swing. I have a 3/4 where the shaft is pointed straight up and down. I have a 1/2 where the the shaft goes parallel to the ground.

I also use different types of follow throughs for different trajectories. Usually use a full follow through for a "floppier" shot.

For me, choking up on wedges leads to thin shots, so I don't do it.

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

You may be interested in reading Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible.

In the Cleveland bag:
Cleveland Launcher Comp 460 9.5°, Aldila NV 65g S
Cleveland Launcher Steel Fairway 15°, Fujikura Gold 65g R
Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 20.5°, Fujikura Fit-On Gold 65g S
Mizuno MP-60 3-PW, Royal Precision Rifle 6.0 S ...

If I want to hold off the distance on a club I usually choke down a bit and shorten my backswing depending on how far I want the shot to go. I don't do the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 swing thing, for me it's a matter of feel and it depends on the trajectory and things like wind conditions. I've found that with practice and experience I've got pretty good at judging distances like that and it's actually one of the strengths of my game. There's really no secret that'll have you sticking them to 3 feet every time, you've just got to try out different things and find out what works best for you - then it's a matter of practice, practice, practice.

i go to my gap wedge ;)

i never feel very accurate with 3/4 wedges nor choked down wedges as i don't practice those shots enough. I've ditched a fairway wook so I can carry 4 wedges, and now have pretty comfortable 10-yard gaps between them all so I can still take a full swing.

(yes, i should practice 3/4 wedges though....)

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

My PW goes the same distance yours does. To hit the 100-yard shot, I use a 9-iron with a half-swing - the left arm stopping when it points to 9 o'clock. Even for the 110-yard shot, I don't use the PW. I hit it with an 8-iron using the same 9 o'clock swing. Clean contact, the ball flies low, lots of bite.
  • Like 1

Note: This thread is 5081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!