IGNORED

5 Wedges, Anyone?

Note: This thread is 1205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does any one here carry 5 wedges?

I love my Vokey wedges and I love taking full swing shots.... so I've carried a 45* PW, 52* GW, 56* SW and 60* Lob wedges. I just recently picked up a *48 Vokey wedge. I'm thinking about taking out my 5-wood to make room to put the 48* in the bag.

Is that nuts to do? I guess I can't say I've found myself stumped in the 80-100 yard range and torn on hitting a PW or a strong GW..... but a full swing 48* would fit that situation perfectly.

I don't know....I'm torn.... I just love my full swing wedge shots and the 7* gap between my PW and GW seem inviting for the 48*

Thoughs???....

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does any one here carry 5 wedges?

I think you are nuts if you do it, but it is your game. To become a better golfer, you need to learn to hit 1/2 and 3/4 shots.

. . . so I've carried a 45* PW, 52* GW, 56* SW and 60* Lob wedges. I just recently picked up a *48 Vokey wedge. I'm thinking about taking out my 5-wood to make room to put the 48* in the bag.

I'd say perhaps a little nuts, but how often does your 5-wood see action? My opinion is based on the fact I use my 5-wood (or 19.5* Fybrid depending on the day) quite often.

Did you ever consider a 50* wedge?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I've carried 5 at times. I really don't consider a 45 degree PW a wedge. It is just a weak 9 iron. I find hitting half shots hard if you don't play alot so I see no problem with it. For a while, I carried a 52, 56, 60, 64 plus the PW with the set. My 56 and 60 were worn so I got a 58 in that spot. I might go back to 5 if I get a new 54. Right now 100 to 105 is really in between the 58 and 50. Yeah I can hit the 50 but hitting it so softly it has no hieght. So I have to make adjustments to hit it high and short which is a little guess opening the face from 100 yards in terms of aiming it to get it close. This thread makes me want a new 54 but my wife wouldn't be happy if I buy another golf club. But what iron do I drop. I am guessing 4 since I use the 3 off many tees and second shots on 5 pars.

Brian

Jesus...and here I was thinking 3 wedges were a lot. Thinking about cutting down to a 52 and 58 and calling it good.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Jesus...and here I was thinking 3 wedges were a lot. Thinking about cutting down to a 52 and 58 and calling it good.

That is how I roll and it is working good.

I have 4 in the bag now:

PW (48)
51*
56*
60*

I am considering adding a high-bounce sand-wedge because my moe course bunkers are overly fluffy and the lower bounce 56 I like off the fairway tends to dig.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

48, 52, 56 and 60 ... i'd love to add another one.

2010 Staff Bag
2010 S2 Driver - Stiff - (-.5")
2010 S2 3 Wood - Stiff
2010 Baffler TWS Hybrids 3 & 4
2010 MP-58 5-PW Irons - (+.5") 2010 MP-T10 Black Satin 52° - 56° - 60° - (+.5") 2009 Black Carbon 2 Putter Winn Grip e6Photos of my bag Golf Galaxy Wisconsin Amateur Tour PlayerGolf...

I'd break it down to which you would realistically use more often. If a 48* wedge would save you more shots than your 5 wood, I'd make the switch.
Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° | Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15° | Irons: Mizuno MP-57 3-PW | Wedges: Cleveland CG11 52° 56° 60° | Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie

Play whatever your course and game demands. I don't even carry any fairway woods, I have a driver and a 2 hybrid, I hit one or the other off the tee. I have room in my bag for another club, going to add a wedge sometime. I currently have 3 wedges, including my PW.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I carry 4. I'd love to carry a 64....and have thought about taking the 60 out for a 64.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I have 3 wedges

PW/54/60

I don't need a GW as I can play a 3 quarter PW instead.

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

IMO, 5 wedges is excessive. I carry 4 wedges now and theres rounds where I dont use all of them. I couldnt imagine having a need for a 5th wedge.
IMO, instead of a strong PW youd be better off with a 64*.
A better idea yet would be to learn how to hit 1/2, 3/4 and open-faced shots with the wedges you already have.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I would work on a knockdown shot. There is a lot you can do with shots if you can hit more than a full club. To your question....if you don't hit the 5w I guess it doesn't hurt anything.

Im still in the stone age I guess. I play my stock PW and a 56 degree SW. Most of the guys I see using 4 wedges have no idea what they are doing. A better player can benefit from them..........but most weekend players just need to learn the basic wedge shots 1st.

I guess I've got 4 now, though as others have said, the stock PW is really more like a weak iron than a strong wedge on most sets, my own certainly included. But if you count that, I've got 46, 52, 56, and 60. I've just added the 52 and the 60, so I'm not sure whether I'll keep them all or not. I do like having the full shots between about 60 and 110 covered with these. Full swings check in at arond 60, 75, 90, and 110, give or take a bit. That's usually good enough that I can figure out how to hit the greens I need to hit, and perhaps with some practice it'll go from just hitting to getting close.

I do plan to stick with one, probably the 52 since it's the lowest bounce, for most finesse stuff. I've already caused myself some trouble trying to get clever with more than one wedge in a round. There's not enough hours for me to master all three true wedges for touchy stuff.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I got 4:

PW=45*
DW=50*
56*
60*

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Throw out the 45* PW and have your irons bent to players specs-not hackers
PW-48
9-44
8-40
7-36
6-32
5-28
4-24

Then you have 4* between clubs. You can do a Ryan Moore and 5* if you want.

Add 64 * wedge if you play course with elevated, fast greens

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Note: This thread is 1205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!