Sign in to follow this  
Canuck

Tiger at St. Andrew's

Note: This thread is 3841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

22 posts / 2467 viewsLast Reply

http://www.tsn.ca/golf/story/?id=321842

Orlando, FL (Sports Network) - Despite being out of action with an injury, Tiger Woods has added the British Open Championship to his schedule according to his website.

Woods has claimed two of his three British Open titles at this year's host venue, the Old Course at St. Andrews. His first victory there in 2000 made him the youngest player to capture the modern career Grand Slam.

That year, Woods finished at 19-under par giving him the record for lowest score in relation to par. Then in 2005, Woods won his second British Open at St. Andrews and in doing so became the second player to win the career Grand Slam twice.

Woods' second title at St. Andrews came the week Jack Nicklaus retired from competitive golf. Nicklaus is the only other player to win all four major championships more than once.

Woods is currently out of action with an inflamed joint in his neck. There is no official timetable for his return, but according to his website, Woods is still scheduled to play the U.S. Open, June 17-20, and the AT&T; National, July 1-4, prior to the British Open.

no big surprise here... wonder if he will play the memorial in a couple weeks.

pretty sure is neck will have "healed" by then

im sure he'll play at the us open too, he won with a broken leg before and he loves pebble beach just as much as st andrews. He may be at the stage in his career where he only plays the majors and a few other tournaments a year, such as the memorial, arnold palmer classic, his tournament and match play and rhyder and presidents cup. Most golfers wish they could only play 8-10 events a year but most wouldnt be able to keep their card or make very much money, tiger has earned that luxury though his past excellent play. He never played in that many events anyway but he always managed to win more than anyone else. Although lately just winning again anywhere is greatly in doubt, especially with either finding a new swing coach or going it alone for a while.

The Open this year will be amazing with or without Tiger. Honestly Tiger is always great to have at these events because he will draw huge numbers, but its the freakin OPEN. Screw Tigger there are a lot of great players I would like to see there more then Tiger.

Tiger has no chance. Self-doubt will poison his game and his life for a while to come. Tiger is so talented he was able to dominate IN SPITE of the horrible Haney swing, but it will take time to recover from the missteps both personally and professionally.

The Open this year will be amazing with or without Tiger. Honestly Tiger is always great to have at these events because he will draw huge numbers, but its the freakin OPEN. Screw Tigger there are a lot of great players I would like to see there more then Tiger.

+2. I agree. Golf is bigger than Tiger. He just hasn't accepted that yet.

Tiger has no chance. Self-doubt will poison his game and his life for a while to come. Tiger is so talented he was able to dominate IN SPITE of the horrible Haney swing, but it will take time to recover from the missteps both personally and professionally.

I would love to have that "horrible Haney" swing. He won 30 events and 6 majors with it. I don't see anything horrible about that record.

+2. I agree. Golf is bigger than Tiger. He just hasn't accepted that yet.

He, or the media?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pretty sure the media hasnt; however Its not that golf is bigger. To the die hard fans who post on here we dont care if tiger plays or not because we enjoy the game. Il watch the nationwide tour on a saturday afternoon on the golf channel it doesnt matter.

But to the American Public who are not hardcore fans they need tiger or someone to fill his void. I hate to say it but for the game to do well Tiger or another young golfer who can do well in the spotlight will need to emerge. Its no secret the games popularity has grown with the emergence of tiger. If he fades as will the popularity unless a young gun can come through. Theres a lot of hype but you have to do more than win one or two tourney's you have to be the favorite every weekend even with a broken leg.

I want him out there because he is exciting. Even when he plays bad the ratings are good because he is playing. The ratings at this years quail hollow were higher on Thursday and Friday than saturday and sunday which is interesting because many people were at work on thurs and friday. We all know the common factor at QH between thurs, fri and sat and sunday.

I consider myself a diehard and must admit that golf is only must-see TV when Tiger's in the field. He's added an excitement level the game didn't have before him, and doesn't have without him. Yes, Phil is great to watch, as are several of the young guns. But no one can touch Tiger for sheer thrills. For that matter, I enjoy watching when he has a sizeable lead, just to marvel at his surgical skill and wonder how he remains so impervious to the pressure that affects everyone else.

Cheers,
DoctorK

I consider myself a diehard and must admit that golf is only must-see TV when Tiger's in the field. He's added an excitement level the game didn't have before him, and doesn't have without him. Yes, Phil is great to watch, as are several of the young guns. But no one can touch Tiger for sheer thrills. For that matter, I enjoy watching when he has a sizeable lead, just to marvel at his surgical skill and wonder how he remains so impervious to the pressure that affects everyone else.

As much as I will watch the game for pure joy I agree with everything you said. When he plays it can be as exciting as the bottom of the 9th of baseball or playoff hockey. When he sunk that trying putt and torrey pines I jumped while he did. I have nothing against Lefty but I rarely am that excited when he sinks a putt. He is the Tim Duncan of golf. Really good but just Bland

^ Same here I get incredibly excited to see tiger play well. Hell, it even puts me in a positive mood on Thursdays at work when I know he will be playing. I wake up and I'm like "Sweet, Tiger is playing today!"

tom watson has a chance here, short-ish course and he'll be accurate.

Not long enough...wide open....I'll take Phil. Tiger will finish 8th or something.

Not long enough...wide open....I'll take Phil. Tiger will finish 8th or something.

If the course is dry and windy...... Tom might sneak onto the leaderboard. Dunno about Phil though...... He doesnt seem to play very well at the Open Championships by looking at his past record..

I want to see one of the young guns myself.

Note: This thread is 3841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!