IGNORED

Golf GPS for Android System

bshack
Note: This thread is 4642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've got Freecaddie and Skydroid. I prefer Skydroid although I have been to a couple of courses where the yardages were way off. And by way off I mean a couple of hundred yards. I don't know if I was doing something wrong or if the thing was just screwed up. In both cases the courses were 27 holes. I double checked to make sure I had clicked on the proper 9 but still couldn't get it to work right. I installed Freecaddie in case that ever happens again I can have a backup app. Other than that though I've been real happy with Skydroid. It works really nice at the courses I usually play and, yes, the track feature is cool and a real eye opener.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

I use GolfLogix for Windows Phone 7, I'm sure they have a Droid version.  It has a free version that shows yardages to the center of the green and aerial imagery.  It also tracks score and GIR, Fairways hit, and putts.  The upgraded version (not sure the price) shows yardages to front and back as well, plus some other goodies.  I really just use it for the approach shot yardages so the free version is fine for me.

It is a huge battery drain: I played a 5 hour round Saturday and the phone didn't make it all the way through.  I think this will be true for most GPS intensive apps.  I'd rather have a SkyCaddie, but not yet willing to shill out the bucks for one.

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

How are free-caddie and sky-droid for battery consumption?  I'm using golflogix now on my HTC Incredible and I can barely get 9 holes before my battery is in the red.

I ordered a large capacity battery which will be here soon however.

Member: Branch River Country Club

Taylormade Burner Superfast Driver

Warrior Custom 3 hybrid

Taylormade Burner Superlaunch Irons 4-PW

Taylormade White Smoke MC-72 putter

Originally Posted by aschroeger

How are free-caddie and sky-droid for battery consumption?  I'm using golflogix now on my HTC Incredible and I can barely get 9 holes before my battery is in the red.

I ordered a large capacity battery which will be here soon however.

I use SkyDroid on my Motorola Droid 2.  I made it through a 5 hour round this weekend with about 15% battery left.  I've heard of a lot of other people that don't make it that long.  I've sort of optimized my phone for battery life, though.  When I use SkyDroid, I keep everything off except for gps, and I set the screen brightness to the second brightest setting.  I also usually just pull it out, check the distance, turn the screen off (I'm not sure if the app will keep your screen on forever or not, but I always manually turn it off), and put it back in my pocket.  I don't normally look at the map or anything...just take about 10 seconds to check distance.

I play a 9 hole weekly league and have never had an issue with battery life when using SkyDroid.

I should also note that I use the battery that came with the phone.

If you're looking for swing by swing on the android market, the title of the application is really "Free Golf GPS Range Finder" by swing by Swing.

It then shows up on the apps screen on your phone as swing by swing

Warrior Custom 3 hybrid

Hi Travis, is there a Windows Phone 7 version of Swing by Swing available or coming?

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

Thanks for the thread update aschroeger. I tried to reply to your PM, but the forum is telling me I already exceeded my daily limit...

Joel - unfortunately, no. There will not be a Windows Phone 7 version of SbS in the near future. We have some devs on staff who _really_ want to jump into Windows Phone 7 coding, so... who knows? Maybe early next year.

I use SkyDroid and i haven't had any problems, well worth the $2. Sometimes it's inaccurate but i think that's more a problem of the phone GPS than the app.

I use free caddie also and it works great. I have the 9.99 paid version. It does use a lot of battery but I have a portable charger that I bring if I want to leave it on the whole time.

Originally Posted by Grunnsetning

I use free caddie also and it works great. I have the 9.99 paid version. It does use a lot of battery but I have a portable charger that I bring if I want to leave it on the whole time.

I wonder when golf carts will have aux power ports (aka. cigarette lighters)... would be nice :)

Warrior Custom 3 hybrid

i would not recommend oobgolf.  i like how many stats you can track, but i've never been able to complete around without the app crashing.  maybe it's just a problem with my nexus one though...this swing by swing app sounds pretty cool though.  i'm definitely going to be trying it out.

i've been using yourgolf, which as far as i'm aware doesn't give distances, but it still links up with the oobgolf website, so i can still track my scores that way.  lately i've been thinking about using some kind of gps thing, but i feel like it takes too much time.  my preferred method is eyeballing it.  certainly not the most accurate, but i'm usually close enough that when my regular playing partner finally reads off the yardage whatever app he has gives him, i'm within 10 yds or so.my swing/ballstriking isn't consistent enough anyways for me to really gain too much from an exact yardage anyways.  if i know it's 140-ish, it's a solid 7 iron (short, i know, but see prev. comment about bad ballstriking...), and if i have to carry a hazard, i just take an extra club or two and swing easy.

I've tried a lot of the droid apps and like Swing-by-Swing the best. The features I like best is the satelite view of the hole where you can touch any spot on the screen and you get the yardage to that spot and from the spot to the green. Makes picking your second shot on par5's very simple and keeps me out of trouble. Also love that it shows you a closeup of the green with yardages to 5 different locations. Very nice app and can't beat the price- FREE!

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

Which of all these apps have a shot distance feature (for Android)?

I'd like to be able to see exactly what my average carry + roll is off the tee with the driver and the 2h (my 2nd longest club), and even my 3i and 4i.  I'm envisioning something like what you get on courses with fancy GPS on their carts where you press a button at the tee box and again when you drive up next your ball and it tells you the straight line distance your drive traveled.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Which of all these apps have a shot distance feature (for Android)?

I'd like to be able to see exactly what my average carry + roll is off the tee with the driver and the 2h (my 2nd longest club), and even my 3i and 4i.  I'm envisioning something like what you get on courses with fancy GPS on their carts where you press a button at the tee box and again when you drive up next your ball and it tells you the straight line distance your drive traveled.

iGolf for Android will do just that. you pop a button that says "shot" and will track distance. There are also apps for iPhone, blackberry's, etc... I have it on my BB, and so far, it's the most stable. I use the free version, since I only really need the yardages. The shot tracking is included in free version- many other apps only give yardages and will not include the shot distance in their free versions.

Note: This thread is 4642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!