IGNORED

Quitting when u play bad.

wildcorndog
Note: This thread is 5053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I quit the round sometimes, too. If im playing bad, or just plain dont want to be on the golf course, i dont see the reason to beat myself up. I just play on to a hole near to the club house and then call it a day.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow... that's crazy, man. i've honestly never had a playing partner that bad. i've had some silent ones, some quirky ones. but never any so disrespectful as that, and definitely not one so rude. i played with a guy last year from new zealand whose biting sarcasm could have made me feel inferior, as he was a + handicap and didn't mind showing it, but he did teach me a hell of a lot and had some interesting stories.

• 3 weeks later...
I've quit rounds at my own club, but never anywhere else. As a matter of fact, last week I quit my round after 11 holes.

I missed every chance to get up and down so badly that several holes were on in 4 with 3 putts. So after holing another 7 on the 11th, I shook all my playing partners hands, paid off the bets, and scurried to the practice area for 1+ hours of short game shots. This was much better time spent in my mind than trying to work it out on the course.

In my bag:

One for slicing
One for hooking
One for knocking it in the cup

when i was just starting i quit after playing 9 holes just because i was playing so bad i ran outta balls losing so many lol, and literally had no more money to even buy a sleeve.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

when i was just starting i quit after playing 9 holes just because i was playing so bad i ran outta balls losing so many lol, and literally had no more money to even buy a sleeve.

Haha.. 2 week ago, I was having a 'everything-goes-right' day. On 9th hole, I put a ball into water (220 yds Par 3 over water with facing wind) and reached for the another. DOPE!! I just had a one ball left. I was hesitated to hit it on the tee or go near green side and chip to play safe since 9 & 10th holes are farthest holes from clubhouse. After few seconds of hesitation, I decided to rip it with a hybrid. I decided to quit if the ball also goes into water. I thought myself here goes nothing. I hit it square and solid. The ball was contacted very well and got even high draw on it and resulted about 15 feet. I pulled back 9 holes with 35, with having unexpected fade/slice still. So there is my lesson. DON'T QUIT. Just A SHOT could make your day 180 degree around. (Contrary to Robert Garrigus this week at St. Jude Classic) :)

Golf: Agony & Love over 3 Generations

I think you have to differentiate - there are times where you will never quit, doesnt matter if you just drowned the second box of ProV1 within 6 holes - that is if you play in a tournament or a 4some that was set up beforehand. On the other hand, if you play practice/casual rounds and decide you better spent the time on the range/putting green or just go home, instead of getting more frustrated on the 2nd 9 - i dont see a problem with quitting.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

I generally don't quit but I won't keep score to better let me focus on practicing whatever I don't feel right about.

I have walked off at the turn once. It was during a time when I was playing maybe 2 or 3 times per year and had no swing to speak of. I was shanking everything, it was ridiculously hot, I was walking a course with a ton of big elevation changes, and I had a lot of errands left to do that day. At some point, I figured it was smarter just to relieve myself of the situation - since golf is supposed to be fun and all.

That said, one of my main priorities when playing is to make sure that my playing mood doesn't affect the group I'm playing with. Golf is still a game and I try hard to remember that everyone else is out there to enjoy themselves - the entire group doesn't deserve to have their day ruined by one wet noodle.

I used to quit trying when a few bad holes ruined my round, but last year I stopped. On the heels of a double & triple I popped up my drive and had 230 left to the green. I thought, That's all for this round, and I'd hit my 2h just for fun, but I took another look and thought that if I hit my 4h to the right front of the green I could pitch on to a pin in the front and still get par. So I did, and I did. That was the most satisfying par I ever made and I have never stopped trying on the course since.

Quitting - bad habit on the course, bad habit in life.

I pay 150 euro (200 dollars) a year to play.

It's VERY different in Ireland and Scotland where golf is inbedded into the everyday day culture and history making playing far less expensive. In SOME parts of North America, it's a COMPLETELY different story...especially here in Toronto. A private membership ranges in the 30K-80K initiation fee with 3K-5K yearly dues if you want to be part of a member at a private course...and with the public courses, any course that rates higher than a 7 out of 10 ranges in the $70-150 range. Yes we have VERY nice tour quality courses but you HAVE to pay. By far, Golf is the most expensive sport that I have participated in.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I played with a couple of drunks yesterday - they were pretty cool but they got more boisterous and obnoxious as the round went on - I shot 36 on the front and was pretty cool with it, but then I hit a difficult patch having two bad bogeys on 11 and 12. I basically said to myself 'either be a jerk to these guys, quit like a pu$$y, or take this as training to deal with situations on the course that may bother you but are ultimately out of your control'. I stuck with it and shot even the rest of the way (and almost eagled 18) for a 74. Part of being successful in this game is not letting dumb sh*t bother you.

I was a member of a semi-private golf club few years ago. Probably once a year I quit at nine because I was playing poorly.

The reason: I was in a cluster of several fast-moving foursomes with mostly better players. If you are the one who slows down play, they would press the starter to throw you off the course. If everyone else is making pars and you're making bogies, and having to look for your ball in the rough, people get testy.

Long-term solution at that course was to avoid foursomes with single-digit handicappers.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's VERY different in Ireland and Scotland where golf is inbedded into the everyday day culture and history making playing far less expensive. In SOME parts of North America, it's a COMPLETELY different story...especially here in Toronto. A private membership ranges in the 30K-80K initiation fee with 3K-5K yearly dues if you want to be part of a member at a private course...and with the public courses, any course that rates higher than a 7 out of 10 ranges in the $70-150 range. Yes we have VERY nice tour quality courses but you HAVE to pay. By far, Golf is the most expensive sport that I have participated in.

Wow, the most you could pay(that I know of) is 10k to join and then 2k a year from then on. And that's Lahinch golf course...

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

admitingly i quit sometimes, but that's only because i play so much golf. when i play a real bad few holes (im not talking like 2 bad holes, i'm talking like a bad 7) ill just stop after 9. there's no sense in me going around and wasting my time @ the course i'm a member at. rather spend the rest of the time practicing on the range so next time i go out, i have a different result!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

admitingly i quit sometimes, but that's only because i play so much golf. when i play a real bad few holes (im not talking like 2 bad holes, i'm talking like a bad 7) ill just stop after 9. there's no sense in me going around and wasting my time @ the course i'm a member at. rather spend the rest of the time practicing on the range so next time i go out, i have a different result!

I think that's actually the best time to press on - if you can teach yourself to successfully make changes on the fly, it will have a tremendous benefit on your game. For example, I shot 78 the first round in my last tournament, but that was with a 35 on the back nine (I was surprised I didn't break any clubs on the front - 43 with a triple and a double). I just made a few small adjustments to my swing and position of my hands at the point of contact and started striping it. I went from thinking about WDing to shooting a 75 and being in the top 30 on Sunday.

I was a member of a semi-private golf club few years ago. Probably once a year I quit at nine because I was playing poorly.

That's hardcore. When I encounter people that impatient or inconsiderate I tend to slow down my play just to get under their skin. It's also really nice that I'm usually able to outplay them, so they can't really complain. My general experience thus far has been that the higher the skill level, the more patient/understanding the person on the course (since most people aren't natually scratch golfers).

I can see if you're shooting 150 while everyone else is shooting 72 and are showing no consideration for pace of play, but bogeys vs. pars? Those guys need to take a pill. At a semi-private club, it's really the pro's & starter's responsiblity to know the members and to match them up according to skill level if they need to create a mix & match group.

I walked off the course for the first time in my life a few weeks ago. We went out as a family, wife and 10-year-old son. I posted on here about it afterwards. I doubt that I will ever do it again. In hindsight it was a horrible example to set for my son.

Matt Schnurbusch

In the Bag:
Driver 9.5* XS Tour Square
Fairway Launcher 17*Irons X18R 4-SWWedge REG. 588 60*Putter Crimson Series 550Ball GamerGlove F3 Glove

Note: This thread is 5053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!