IGNORED

Quitting when u play bad.

wildcorndog
Note: This thread is 5054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I walked off the course for the first time in my life a few weeks ago. We went out as a family, wife and 10-year-old son. I posted on here about it afterwards. I doubt that I will ever do it again. In hindsight it was a horrible example to set for my son.

did you leave the two of them on the course???

You should have played on with him unless he didn't want to play

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have anger/impatience issues, so if I can't hit any shots right I'll either take a hole or two off (if I'm with friends) or leave entirely (if I'm playing alone).
Last 5 Rounds: 103 (+38), 124 (+42), 101 (+36), 104 (+39), 109 (+44)

That's hardcore. ... but bogeys vs. pars? Those guys need to take a pill. At a semi-private club, it's really the pro's & starter's responsiblity to know the members and to match them up according to skill level if they need to create a mix & match group.

It was a course with a lot of young retirees as members. They liked to lord it over you if they were a better golfer. Worst case: One twosome bounced me out of their group on the second tee because they OUTDROVE me on the first two holes.

Mr. Golf said something like, "We're going to be moving fast. I'd appreciate it if you played by yourself."

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It was a course with a lot of young retirees as members. They liked to lord it over you if they were a better golfer. Worst case: One twosome bounced me out of their group on the second tee because they OUTDROVE me on the first two holes.

Wow, that's friggin cold.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

When I play with my friends, most of the time they end up picking up their ball before they put the ball in the hole. If they need more than 2 putts on any given hole, they just pick up and try to say they got a score that they didn't. Really annoying tallying up the score at the end because they actually believe they got a score that they didn't. I'm a very competitive person when it comes to everything... especially sports

Wow, that's friggin cold.

I don't know how people can be such ass holes...

VDub pride

I can't really think about my swing on the course and play well man. to each his own..but recently i just started to take some lessons and in the past two weeks ive played golf thinking about the swing changes on the course to make sure i do them, and boy has it really effed me up. the best i've shot recently is a 39 on the front and i came back with a 44 on the back...

i've had rounds where i started bad and finished strong. in a H.S. tri-county tournament i shot a 46 on the front, and came back with a 36 on the back. ended up coming in t-9 out of 80 players.

it's definetly important to grind out there, and learn how to do it, but lately with me making swing changes if i play terrible on the front ill just quit to work on it at the range. i just can't see the point of getting frustrated on the back, shooting a 44 when i could've taken that hour and a half and worked on the swing on the range.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Never walked off the course...no matter how bad I am playing, I stand on every teebox thinking about anything but thinking about my forthcoming birdie putt............

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Golf can teach you a lot about life and a lot about yourself. There are much better things to do during a bad round than quit.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Golf can teach you a lot about life and a lot about yourself. There are much better things to do during a bad round than quit.

i'm sorry but that's just ridiculously dumb. quitting after nine during my round has nothing to do with me quitting in life, lol. i really hope i misunderstood what you were going for there.

do you honestly think when tiger is playing on his home course in florida or wherever he plays if he doesn't play well on the front nine and isn't hitting it well at all that he'll stay out there? most likely, no, he'll head to the range and work on what's going wrong...i think that's a much more logical way to improve your game then "oh, i play all the time but let me keep chuggin on out there and see if i can shoot a 90!"... since i play like 4-5 times per week, if i am playing badly, ill stop after the front nine. i'm talking REALLY badly. this doesn't happen all the time. i'm talking when my game really needs work, bad...i much rather devote the time i have to practice then to waste my time on the course hole after hole with the same problems. if i am considered a "Quitter" for that...well, then so be it.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Here's my line of thinking: One day you are going to be in the middle of a tournament where you are playing well and all of a sudden you are going to lose your swing. You'll notice it on your drive, your fairway shot(s), and your wedge/pitch. Your swing is just GONE. If your experience is to walk off the course and maybe go to the range to try and fix things, that's not going to help you very much in this situation. If, on the other hand, you practice grinding your way back while on the course you may be more able to right things on the next hole.

I don't happen to share your opinion on how to deal with a bad round while in the middle of it, but I am not ready to call it 'dumb.'

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

If people are playing well above their handicap and then getting angry and quitting bad rounds that would seem to be to be the opposite of sandbagging. There is no point in people getting angry about golf in general because a lot of the time people wont have practiced or played often enough to really justify scoring better.

If I practice chipping an hour a day in my yard and my playing partner doesn't then when we get on the course once per week there should be no confusion over why my chips are good and his are not.

Also if I have a singular bad round I take it in good spirits and mark it as a one off. For anyone to get angry about a bad round it must happen to them often.

did you leave the two of them on the course???

I wanted to leave them on the course, but no. We let our son play out the 9th hole, and then left. A little later in the day I returned to the course and hit a bucket of balls at the range just to clear my head from the morning. Like I said, I doubt that I will ever do it again... It was a really bad example to set for my son.

Matt Schnurbusch

In the Bag:
Driver 9.5* XS Tour Square
Fairway Launcher 17*Irons X18R 4-SWWedge REG. 588 60*Putter Crimson Series 550Ball GamerGlove F3 Glove

I've never quit during a bad round...but I often lapse into playing what call 'TV Golf'...i.e. I start playing high-percentage shots I wouldn't do normally during a round, just because I'm frustrated...
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I've never quit during a bad round...but I often lapse into playing what call 'TV Golf'...i.e. I start playing high-percentage shots I wouldn't do normally during a round, just because I'm frustrated...

First time this has been mentioned and absolutely true. I do this as well - not because I'm trying to salvage a score but just because there's no more score left to save. Might as well have fun with things.

250 3 wood off the turf over water? Sure! (Just switch to the cheap balls first, please).

First time this has been mentioned and absolutely true. I do this as well - not because I'm trying to salvage a score but just because there's no more score left to save. Might as well have fun with things.

I'll do kinda the same thing. If I'm having just a terrible round I'll usually just stop keeping score and just work on hitting decent shots.

I'll do kinda the same thing. If I'm having just a terrible round I'll usually just stop keeping score and just work on hitting decent shots.

This is more my approach as well. I have never walked off of the course. I can't stand quitting.

This is more my approach as well. I have never walked off of the course. I can't stand quitting.

I agree. There's no sense in just quitting but there's also no sense is being completely frustrated. So, I'll just work on hitting better shots and maybe drink an extra beer or two. :)

Isn't quitting kind of like "reverse sandbagging"? This makes your HC lower than it should be, by not including these "bad" rounds?

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

Note: This thread is 5054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!