IGNORED

Can I borrow your 7 iron?!?!?!?

Note: This thread is 3977 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So here's the deal. I play with my father-in-law every weekend and he does not carry a 7 iron in the bag so he asks about 5-6 per round to borrow it. I didn't mind at first, but now it's getting annoying especially on par 3's when I use the same club (he always has to hit first.... prefers 3 hour rounds). I'm starting to wonder if this is bad golf etiquette? I've sarcastically told him I'm going to start charging a convenience fee every time he uses it.... that didn't work. I'm in a tough spot because it's family, but for christ's sake buy a 7 iron or a new set!!! What would you guys do?

So here's the deal. I play with my father-in-law every weekend and he does not carry a 7 iron in the bag so he asks about 5-6 per round to borrow it. I didn't mind at first, but now it's getting annoying especially on par 3's when I use the same club (he always has to hit first.... prefers 3 hour rounds). I'm starting to wonder if this is bad golf etiquette? I've sarcastically told him I'm going to start charging a convenience fee every time he uses it.... that didn't work. I'm in a tough spot because it's family, but for christ's sake buy a 7 iron or a new set!!! What would you guys do?

tell him to hit a hard 8

light 6? lol either way, at this point, regardless of family or not...be straight with him "listen, get a 7 iron already...if you lost a putter, what, you gonna borrow that too?" or for one round just happen to forget your 7...and both play without it and go, "see? don't have anyone to mooch off of now do ya old man?" lol

Not a big deal, just find him a 7 iron and give it to him, he'll be happy, you'll be happy life is good.
I used to know a guy who sometimes played golf with me and who'd borrow clubs every other hole. Most of the time he does not even bring his bag and just shares a bag with another friend the whole round, it's crazily annoying!!!

I would get him a replacement 7 iron that matches his set (or is close). Check ebay or

http://www.golfclubfinder.com/

stop playing with him LOL....I mean what there is 5 things that can/will happen......

1) you stop playing with him
2) he buys a 7i
3) you buy him a 7i
4) he borrows someone elses
5) or it stays the same, him borrowing your's

Hilarious... but that's not happening.

why not get him one? would it hurt your pride or something? hell, if you won't buy it, tell your wife to get it for him. but for his sake and yours, get another 7 iron in that man's hands.

Why wait until Father's day? It's the quick, elegant solution. It's clearly worth it - just get him a 7-iron and be done with it.

If you really want to solve the problem, there you go.

Whatever the cost (50-110? new/used) it is clearly worth it to NOT be annoyed with this. For me, this game is to relax and not think about any issues in my life for a few hours, having a FIL who destroys this is clearly not worth the lost cost. I'd just purchase myself a new iron and put it in his bag so that he can find out on his own.

That would get really annoying. I'd just tell him to hit a hard 8 or easy 6.

I played in a scramble with a guy who forgot his putter and had to use mine the whole round. I couldn't wait for the round to end and get home.

Interesting reply which indicates to me that there is more to this story. Since you asked what would others do and have now stated you won't do what several others suggested I think it would be nice to hear the rest of the story.

If it were me I'd find myself a new 7-iron, tie a bow on the current one, and next time he asked to borrow it I'd simply say to keep it. Likewise, if I could afford it, I'd take him out to lunch after the round, stop at a discount golf shop after lunch and tell him to pick out a set on me. But that's just me, and I still suspect that there is more to the story. Perhaps this thread is in parallel to the other thread where someone is asking how to upset an opponent's game, and perhaps your father-in-law has a perfectly good 7-iron at home in his closet next to where he has his red ties hanging and is doing this just to throw your game off just a little bit. I don't know but stranger things have happened. (Note to the dad-in-law: if you're reading this, sorry if I revealed your gamesmanship) ;)

Note: This thread is 3977 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!