IGNORED

Any of you completely self taught?

adamgoodman
Note:Β This thread is 5054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I am 50 years old and completely self taught. Never had a lesson in my life.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

I've had one lesson, and it was so full of BS that I left the guy and don't have any of his teachings in my swing, so I still consider myself self-taught.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've had one lesson, and it was so full of BS that I left the guy and don't have any of his teachings in my swing, so I still consider myself self-taught.

I had one "lesson" like that too... My new swing coach is breath of fresh air. I figure if I can self teach myself to a single digit handicap, a coach should bring be down where I want to be.

I am 50 years old and completely self taught. Never had a lesson in my life.

same for me except 57 yo

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

Up until now, when I started consulting the Internet.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I never had a formal lesson, but I have learned alot just by watching better players techniques. I grew up playing hockey and it took me about 4 years to realize the golf swing needed tempo..... lol. I think that I finally learned tempo by watching Nancy Lopez swing

Self taught here as well. The only real drawback i can see is that sometimes when i get into a bad habit i don't have a clear starting point to go back to...

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- ClevelandΒ 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5Β Β 

there is no such thing as self-taught. Whether or not you have taken classes with a pro, you have learnt the game from watching tv, reading articles, reading forums... hence you have learnt the game from someone...

I have only taken one single class with a pro in my entire golf-life... but i am a deep student of the game and would never consider that i have taught myself this game. I have the internet, the golf channel, eccetera of other sources to thank for my advancement in the game.

Please donΒ΄t swing while IΒ΄m talking !!
Β 

Well, if you don't consider a grandfather a professional teacher...then yes, i'm self taught since the age of 6, taking 5 years off between senior year of hs and college...(Played baseball and wasn't allowed to play golf) Never had a lesson with a pro, club guy, etc. I think this year I'll go tho...i want to get to scratch and everyone i play with says i have the swing to do it just bad holes every now and then.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

CobraΒ Bio+ 9*Β Matrix White Tie XΒ Β -Β Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTASΒ 80XΒ - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100Β - Vokey SM4 55 /Β Vokey SM5 60*Β DG TIΒ S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

About 4 months ago I joined a practice facility and the membership came with a swing analysis and a lesson. I took one more lesson after that too, but basically all that changed was my position at address and the length of my back swing. Beyond that it's been just shank balls until I learned my lessons.

I guess I could say that I taught myself how to swing but my dad really taught me how to play golf. So self taught is a bit of a misnomer. But beyond his tips it's been nothing but copying what I see on TV and what I pick up from playin with different people.

There's nothing wrong with being self taught. I believe you need a professionals help at some point, even if it's only a few quick lessons or an evaluation if you want to get consistently into the 70's, but that's just my opinion.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

yes, i am self-taught in that of not having any lessons, but i see lessons as watching the pro's and trying to copy what they do, its working for me up to now

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

I am also a self taught golfer and played baseball my whole life all the way through golf. For a baseball player its probably twice as hard becuase I have a baseball swing engrained in my muscle memory. But im doing well for no lessons thus far.

Driver: R5 XL with Fujikira Stiff Shaft
3Wood: T60 Ignite
Irons: 735 CM with S300 Shafts
56 Degree: Carnoustie Black
60 Degree: Carnoustie BlackPutter: 34" Mini T White IceBall: : WhateverShoes: Icon Snake SkinGolf is the only sport where they encourage drug use and its not illegal,...

I am self-taught as well. However, I would be lying if I said I didn't record Golf Fix and don't have hangers, inner tubes, a tee sticking out of the butt end of the grip, shoe boxes, etc being used as instructional devices.

Whats in my Tour Cart II bag:

Driver - 09' Speedline 9.5Β°
3W - 09' Launcher
2i Hybrid - 10' Launcher DST3i Hybrid - 09' Launcher with ACCRA AC85 M4Irons (4-PW) - 10' AP2 with Dynamic Gold S300GW - 10' 54Β° CG15LW - 10' 60Β° CG15Putter - Method 001

I played for a while when I was younger without any lessons and was never very good, now that I've taken it up again recently and am taking it a little more seriously I've been taking lessons. I think it's well worth it even if it's just a couple of lessons as having some of the basics in place seems to make such a big difference and I feel like I'm improving much faster than if I just try to figure it out myself.

On a related note I play a fair bit of tennis and I really wish I'd had lessons when I was younger, without solid technique under pressure my strokes can break down whereas this doesn't seem to happen so much to people who learned correctly right from the beginning.

Yes, I am. Started playing when I was a little kid. Just kind of had a "natural swing" I guess. I didn't say "good swing." I just always felt I had a comfortable, natural ball striking swing. I've tweaked it, of course, as I've learned more about proper swing mechanics and fundamentals. I did, however, take my first lesson this year. I took one lesson to help me fix a slice off the tee box I all the sudden developed. Worked great!

I may consider lessons in the future. I don't know. I feel like I've kind of reached this plateau and I'm not seeing any more improvements in my game. But then again...as others have said....I don't really want to "start over" with my swing either.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

I am also. Though I will probably get some lessons a bit later on when I get a bit better.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5ΒΊ)

Wood:Β :ping: G15 3 (15.5Β°)

Hybrids:Β :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21ΒΊ), 4 (24ΒΊ)

Irons:Β :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50ΒΊ, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56ΒΊ

Note:Β This thread is 5054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!