IGNORED

Do you balance your golf balls?

Note: This thread is 4025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess for every ball that would normally go in that not balancing made stay out, there is bound to be a ball that would normally stay out the hole but not balancing makes it go in.

Ditto. What's the old saying: "The fight is so bitter because the stakes are so small."

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fat Slice, That's the method I used before I got my spin balancer. With the S/B, you stick the ball in the machine, push the button, give it about 15 seconds to level out, and make the mark. It's ready to go. I usually do it while sitting around watching television..... about 9:30 at night, when I can't be on the driving range working on my swing . ( )

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

Or a guy with a 246 yard driving average using a Tour driver with X shaft?

And people wonder why I argue so vehemently in the driving distance thread! 246 is a

huge driving distance for an amatuer, and it's only gotten higher, now I am up to around 260 on a good day. That's just 25 yards short of the average tour pro ! I'm damn proud of my driving distance, and I will continue to be honest about it. The average male amatuer golfer drives the ball 208 yards or so. From the drives I've measured of my playing partners, many of whom are in their 20s and very fit, that's about right. They think they hit it much farther, of course, and the markers on the course may even make them believe it. But not me. I'm not going to be a fool who pretends he hits it farther than he does, and come up short of every damn green, and land in every bunker I thought I could carry. I had my driver and shaft fitted for me, and it's been tweaked to meet my specifications to keep up with my swing. It was the recommendation of others. I was told a stiff was too weak, and 9.5° was a good loft with the lower spin head. I launch this thing about 15° as it is. When I hit it squarely, it goes about 285 yards in still wind. That's very, very long. Unlike most amatuer golfers who brag they hit the ball far, I actually do. The real difference is, I'm honest about how far mine go, and honest about what average is. Whenever I talk to a PGA pro, I always mention that I'm a long, but honest driver. They sort of grit their teeth and say, "oh, yeah?" I laugh and say, "yeah, I bomb it... like 250-260..." Almost always, they tell me that most of their students believe they hit it much farther than they do, and they're amazed that I'm honest about it. The last pro at the course I'm at was kind of a dick, and he didn't like that many people, but he would always tell me, "I like you, cause at least you're honest. Every other fool out here thinks he bombs it 300, and is just a few strokes away from playing on tour." But you have to be honest if you want to get better. If I top a drive, and it goes 20 yards, that's part of my average. I did, in fact, shank a drive a while back. Of course, I could pretend like it never happened, and just forget it, but that'd make me like the rest of the amatuer golfers who are delusional. No, my bad drives will stay a part of my average, because I'm not a lying fool.

Ditto. What's the old saying: "The fight is so bitter because the stakes are so small."

I look at it as a conversational piece. I certainly don't care if anyone else does it or not. I wasn't even suggesting that anyone do it. I was merely asking a question to the board to see if anyone does it and if so, can they tell if it helps their game. I happen to balance them, but hey, no fight here. The thread has gotten quite a lot of hits so there is some interest. I also appreciate the ones that have given links for back up that it's a proven method.

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

I'm damn proud of my driving distance . . . you have to be honest if you want to get better.

You posted some driving stats. They were interesting - 246 seemed about right. endhijack/

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

You posted some driving stats. They were interesting - 246 seemed about right. endhijack/

@ Shanks A Million

I should clarify the comment above. What I mean is, it is definitely not an overestimate. Just reread the original post in the current "Driving Distance" thread - a 250 to 280 yard average drive with a push fade - oh my goodness. I needed a reminder why you're annoyed that people choose the term "driving average" over the perfectly acceptable alternative, "typical good drive". The more I read it, the more I find it annoying too - you're winning me over.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If I top a drive, and it goes 20 yards, that's part of my average. I did, in fact, shank a drive a while back. Of course, I

I needed a reminder why you're annoyed that people choose the term "driving average" over the perfectly acceptable alternative, "typical good drive". The more I read it, the more I find it annoying too - you're winning me over.

I've said it before, and since it's off-topic in this thread, I'll say it again... the driving

average is not a particularly useful statistic. There's no reason to include the shanked, topped, or otherwise completely flubbed drives in your average. Discard those and compute the average of what's left, or use a statistic like the median that is robust against outliers. Maybe use it if you want to quote the true average for simplicity, but it's useless for game planning. Why? Suppose you top your 3I 10% of the time and it goes 20 yards, and you hit it 200 yards the other 90%. Do you really want to call it your 182-yard club and miss 18 yards long 90% of the time? So I agree, use "typical good drive" or some other useful statistic. On topic... I don't bother with balancing, and I think the argument that you'll "accidentally" make some putts you should have missed is correct. Every putting line that will be caused to miss because the ball turns due to imbalance will be offset by a line that "should" have missed but which is corrected by the imbalance. In the real world this won't be exactly true for every putt, depending on the contours and the speed of the putts, there may be some situations where you're more or less likely to sink the putt, but it's going to be close to true. This will not show up in a robot-based test where you're perfectly aligning every putt identically. You'd have to vary the aim and run a lot of putts (maybe they did this, I haven't watched all the videos). To decide whether it's worthwhile, we need to know how often the golfer actually lines up correctly to begin with. If you're good enough, and you play courses with smooth enough greens that the uncertainty due to grass/bumps/dead bugs is smaller than the imbalanced ball effect, then balancing could be worthwhile. My strong suspicion is that most of us aren't that good at aiming, so the net result will be that we occasionally miss a putt we should have made or make one we should have missed. I also doubt whether most people play perfect enough greens for this to actually be the dominant random effect.... So I won't bother. If you do, well, I won't laugh but I might look at you a little funny.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

• Administrator
I've said it before, and since it's off-topic in this thread..

It is. So let's leave it in the other topic.

Four or five posts removed as they all talked about DD and not balancing balls.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, you are pretty immature. Excuses are something kids use. I can guarantee you your handicap is based on your swing, not your excuses. I have a busted knee and very limited flexibility, but I still manage to play the game pretty well, and I know, even with my problems, there's nothing but me holding me back from being scratch.

An excuse is "oh i was tired", as my coach would say in ball, 'can you play? are you hurt or are you injured?'. reconstructive shoulder surgery including 3 pins and a plate will change things, it's not an excuse as much as it is fact. My swing is without a doubt different than it was due to the fact i physically can't do what i used to. You've never seen my swing. the op asked if i balanced my balls and i was backing my OPINION as to why i wouldn't bother wasting my time. No, i'm not immature, i was stating my case for my opinion, apologies for it coming across as it did. lets be completely honest, is it a benefit to having perfectly balanced balls? yes. is the typical jo schmo with a swing that isn't as precise as a robot going to tell the difference on a putt that it was the ball and not him? no. is it going to cost you 25-30 yards off the tee? no. is it going to mean you're going to have justification and sleep better at night that you sank an extra putt b/c it was 'b/c of the ball'...that's ur call. Just sayin. /end

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Hey Spoiled,

To answer your original question, yes, I do balance my golf balls. Do I notice a difference? I can't say that I do, but when I step up to hit a drive or stroke a putt, I at least have that extra bit of confidence that it's balanced and aligned properly even if my swing isn't. It's kind of like all the other name-brand stuff other golfers put in their arsenal. As for whether or not this takes up too much of the OP's "time better spent practicing", it's fairly easy to do this at 9pm while watching CNN after a little putting practice in the living room. Take the answers for what they are worth, but don't let anyone ever talk you off of what works for you. Great conversation piece & just b/c others think it's a waste of their time doesn't mean it's a waste of yours. -LBB

Bag: Bagboy NXO Revolver
Driver: Dymo STR8-FIT Tour 9.5
3w: Nike T405w: Nike T40Irons: Mizuno MP-33 3-PWSW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 56/10LW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 60/06Ball: Nike TA2/SPN

Ive never heard of this how the hell do u balance a golf ball?

Check page 2 or 3 of this thread--there's a video on how it's done. -LBB

Bag: Bagboy NXO Revolver
Driver: Dymo STR8-FIT Tour 9.5
3w: Nike T405w: Nike T40Irons: Mizuno MP-33 3-PWSW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 56/10LW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 60/06Ball: Nike TA2/SPN

Ive never heard of this how the hell do u balance a golf ball?

The idea is that most golf balls have a center of gravity that is slightly different than the geometrical center of the golf ball. When the line between these points is not in line with the putt, this can prevent the ball from rolling true. I have not read much about how this ball imperfection affects fully airborne shots. If, however, the line between the two points is on the plane of rotation of the ball, then this effect can be minimized.

There are ball spinners you can buy to help you mark them (e.g. http://www.technasonic.com/ ). You can also drop your ball in water and add salt until a small spot of it penetrates the surface (the heavy side will be pointing down (see http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-l...all-balancing/ ). On long, slow putts (fast greens) where the ball is perfectly misaligned, the misalignment could be the difference between the ball dropping in the center of the cup and missing the cup. That is to say, when all the stars are (mis)aligned a balanced ball could make a difference. Some may point out that this will help as much as it will hurt. That is actually not true. If you miss most putts then misalignment would help to sink more putts by moving the ball off the wrong line (but make some of your misses worse of course). If you make most putts, then misalignment would hurt more than help. Another thing to think about is that improvement is much faster accurate feedback--you can see the results of your actions, rather than think the ball's imperfect movement had something to do with your stroke. All this of course is very technical, and I would be very surprised if anybody could tell the difference while playing. However, it can make a difference, albeit small and only when misaligned. My thought is that if you're playing for fun and it makes the game more fun, then go for it. When I personally tried it I found it distracting, so I don't do it. However, I might try it again at some point in the future.

I was just reading Ray Floyd's elements of scoring, where he claims that the pros average about 50% on putts of 6 feet, so presumably they're worse than that for longer putts. If that's true, and still accurate, I'm going to lean toward balancing being a waste of time. If the effect of balancing is small but measurable at 10 feet, I think you're going to have to be hitting a lot more than half your putts before your aiming consistency is good enough that a slight deviation due to the roll is enough to cut into your accuracy.

Note that if it makes you more confident, then by all means go ahead, I have no issue with "superstitions" as the mental effect can be very real. But I don't believe that any of us will benefit, mechanically speaking, from the balancing.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I was just reading Ray Floyd's elements of scoring, where he claims that the pros average about 50% on putts of 6 feet, so presumably they're worse than that for longer putts. If that's true, and still accurate, I'm going to lean toward balancing being a waste of time. If the effect of balancing is small but measurable at 10 feet, I think you're going to have to be hitting a lot more than half your putts before your aiming consistency is good enough that a slight deviation due to the roll is enough to cut into your accuracy.

They only hit 50% of those putts in his era... Because the balls were notoriously imbalanced! Wound core balata balls didn't putt well at all. Don't quote me on that though...

They only hit 50% of those putts in his era... Because the balls were notoriously imbalanced! Wound core balata balls didn't putt well at all. Don't quote me on that though...

So far in 2010, there are 190 people listed on this page:

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?34 which is putts made from 6 feet. Since there is no average, I will use median, which is James Nitties at 68.89%.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

You may make more putts, but some of your misses will be amplified. All putts can be effected (even close ones that you usually make), just some less than others. The feedback you get on the practice green won't be as good, which I imagine would be the biggest problem. Compared to everything else a golfer can do to lower his or her score, this may be at the bottom of a very very long list. However, it shouldn't hurt your score and may actually help your score.

I agree with the confidence sentiments. If it makes you feel more confident then go for it.

I'd never really thought about that. Pelz's data on putting also supports the 50% figure from six feet for tour players. Drops to 20% from twelve. Says it was one of his big revelations when he first started following pros around recording all their shots back in the day. No idea if he's kept the numbers current, or if he's too busy counting all his money.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Note: This thread is 4025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!