IGNORED

Best Single hole play of my life! What's yours?

Grahaman
Note: This thread is 5079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In 1968 I played the Old Course at St. Andrews. Things were different then. I hitchhiked from Edinburgh to the course, walked up to the starter's shack, paid my green fee, rented a half set, bought a sleeve of small balls, and was told, "The first tee is over there. You're up after the group that's on it now is clear." Things were different then.

one of the best stories ever heard

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

In 1968 I played the Old Course at St. Andrews. Things were different then. I hitchhiked from Edinburgh to the course, walked up to the starter's shack, paid my green fee, rented a half set, bought a sleeve of small balls, and was told, "The first tee is over there. You're up after the group that's on it now is clear." Things were different then.

This is awesome!

My best hole was probably from last weekend. A par 3, 160 yards uphill (ridiculously uphill, you can't see the green from the tee box, just a short section of the flag). Hit a 5-iron about 4 feet past the pin and tapped in for birdie to save myself from driving my cart into the lake. Outside of that hole I had a very, very rough day. :)

Syncro bag
Superfast Burner 9.5° S driver
G5 4-PW irons
Burner '08 22° 4h
53° wedge 56° wedge iN Li'l Wack-E putter PD Long ballSlowly working on upgrading my old bargain bin clubs.

So last night I playing Corning CC again and am playing well. I come back to #14 again and take a minute to bask in the glow of my previous nights best hole play ever. I think to myself can I do it 2 nights in a row? Par 5, 501 yds on in 2? Can I blast the drive I need to set up a "go for it" 2nd shot? Can I pure my 3 iron over trees and water and to an uphill green? Can I birdie again this beauty of a par 5?

The answer is no.

I had a great drive to set up another "go for it" thought and that is what I did. I took out my 3 iron, repeated the same swing thoughts, "quiet feet, smooth tempo, don't press". I did all that and hooked into the trees on the left. I had to punch out before the water, then lifted a nice wedge to the green for on in 4, 2 putted for bogie. That is what I love about golf....always a challenge, never the same, and always something to work on!

FORE!

Cleveland CG7 3-PW fitted, stiff shafts
Hand me down putter, Jack Nicklaus model
Cleveland Hibore 3 wood 13 deg. stiff shaftCleveland Launcher 9 deg, stiff shaft

Lately mine was about a month ago at Hickory Ridge in Carbondale, IL. Playing 9 that day and doing horribly, I didnt even bother to record a score on a few holes. Got to the 8th, a short par 3, about 130 yards to a green guarded on the left by water and surrounded by bunkers, so for a short hole still a pretty tough tee shot. Had been having trouble keeping my head down all day but this hole was straight into the Sun so it forced me to look down. My playing partner, a much better player than myself and much more familiar with the course, had already hit the green about 30 ft to the right of the pin. I threw a ball down, grabbed my 8 iron and hit my shot. I couldnt even see where it went at first but he told me Im right by the pin. I thought he was kidding but then I shaded my eyes and saw his ball on the right side of the green and saw where mine went, about 5 feet away from the hole, best shot of the year to date. Was very nervous on the putt but managed to sneak it in and get only my 3rd birdie of the year so far.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

12 years ago, back when I somewhat knew this game... don't remember the course or the hole, just that I was in San Diego, standing over a 15 footer. If I sunk it, I shot an 80, my best round ever. Slow breath, line it up, please don't think too much, trust it, go... went in.

CARBITE Putter

last night, went to par 3 course at Governors Run at Carlyle Il, was hitting my irons pretty good and got to the 17th, 110 yards. There was nobody within probably 4 holes of me so I hit my pw into some bushes left of the green. then i hit another about 10 yards short of the green trying to lob one up there. And I thought, well im almost done and I want to hit a good shot on this hole. Next one was about 20 ft away, pretty good. I had one more ball out so I decided to hit it just for the hell of it. It landed on the front of the green and bounced and rolled to 1 ft from the pin, almost jarred it, closest Ive ever come to holing out a shot of any kind other than a chip in and I had only done that once before. I saw it was a good shot from the tee box but thought maybe within 3 or 4 feet, always looks closer from the tee. But i got up there and realized it was real close. I noticed i had been hitting my irons farther, going about a club longer than normal as the first 2 holes I flew the green on distances that I normally have to hit the ball on the button to get it there so I guess im making more solid contact and i made very few poor shots. I think i only chunked the ball once in the whole 18 holes I played. My chipping was a bit under average so I made a lot of bogeys where with good chips they could have been pars. But overall +11 on the front and +7 on the back so not too bad for me.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

not sure.

My first eagle is up there.
Index 3 par 4. It was raining and windy (think of the Open) hit a low drive that went maybe 210-220 with 180 left to the hole. Took out a 4i and hit it perfect, ball shot of kicked short of the green,rolled on and into the hole. I thought I lost the ball until I checked the hole.

Another would be when I was playing with a friend in matchplay. Index 2 par 4 17th. I had 170 to the hole and had to carry a lake to hit the green. Launched a 4i straight into the air, hit the green and 2 putted for par.

I could keep going but I'll leave it there.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

god I feel like the old washed up high school quarterback telling this story......but you asked

I'll make you feel better... I was 14 playing at my home course and hole 9 was funky 110 yard par 3 uphill severe 2 tier green. Pin is on the bottom tier left I pulled an 8 iron to the right of the green kicks left catches the tier rolls across the green down the tier and in the jar. Worst part was I couldn't see it go in because it was very uphill but I still have the pinnacle 1 gold I used.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

The one that comes to mind is a bit different from some of the others. It was on the 16th hole of my home course, a 525 yard par 5 that swings a bit right off the tee then back left at the end. There is an irrigation ditch that runs across the fairway about 100 yards from the green, and a cross bunker about 35 yards out. You have to plan any layup to either be short of the ditch, or between the ditch and the bunker (a chancy shot). I have played this hole several hundred times over the years, made anything from a 3 to a 10 on it.

On the day in question it was a club tournament, and I'd been playing well enough to be in the money, but not pulling away from the competition. I stepped up on the tee and proceeded to hit the worst drive of the day... heeled it about 120 yards. Now I've got 420 odd left and the ball sitting down in the light rough. I pull my 3W and knock the ball to just inside the 200 yard marker, a pretty decent shot for me. Now I have to say that long approaches have never been the strength of my game. Standing there looking at a back pin from a bit over 200 yards, I'm thinking just do enough so the the worst that can happen is bogey. I pull out my 25° hybrid, even though it's only my 185-190 club because I want to be no worse than on the front fringe. I absolutely pured that club, rolled the ball up just 10 feet from the hole, then canned the straight uphill putt for a surprise birdie. That shot cinched 2nd place for me, just one shot back of the eventual leader.

It seems significant to me that on a hole that I have eagled a half dozen times, the one occasion I remember best was a birdie.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im still a sort of new player, I have 6, rounds of 9 hole golf under my belt. My best hole was a 5, on a par 4, not because it was my best hole ever (Ive had many boogeys still havent made par yet), but because I one putt making a 30+ footer.

two weeks ago in league, number 17- par 4. hit my drive a bit right into the far side of a patch of trees. had an open shot about 105 out. hit it just short of the green, bounces a few times and drops in the hole for an eagle.

I came up with about a dozen, but I'll go with one from Friday.

The Prairies in Cahokia, IL.: No. 18, 345 yds. uphill. Hit a ho-hum drive down the middle. I'm 135 yds. out, going 10 feet uphill into a left-to-right crosswind. Another player hit and spun back to front fringe, so I decide to play a 7-iron draw against the wind. Ball hits pin-high right on back of green, and skips forward two feet to the edge of the fringe and fluffy rough.

I take a couple of practice strokes - the Ping Pal moves through the light rough smoothly. Then, I purposely hit the ball a little high to get it rolling. Roll it does, 24 feet straight to center cup for a birdie.*

Birdie gives me an 89 for the day, my first 18 holes of the year. And, the father and son I played with for the day applaud me.

(*Also, this makes up for the 50-foot GW chip and run which lipped out on the par 3 No. 7.)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 5079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!