IGNORED

When did you start Golf?

Steven McFarlane
Note: This thread is 4912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. When Did you Start

• Kid 0-12
    • Teenager 13-16
    • Young Adult- 17-19
    • Adult 20+

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . .My very first time playing golf was when I was 23 years old. . .had a wicked hangover and shot a 110! I always had played baseball and just gripped the club like a Louisville Slugger and had a ball! I got the bug bad and played quite a bit for a few years then began playing baseball again and what with a wife and kids, the golf game vanished. I played about 2 or 3 times a year for the last 15 years or so, and only last year decided to get serious about golf again. (as I was too old and had bad knees to continue playing baseball!) I played about 14 times last summer and saw improvement in my game. This year, with new clubs, I am really excited to see what I can do.

Mike

. . ."Commit to each shot. . .and believe"!!

In my R7 Tour Bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R1 "Black" Aldila RIP Phenom Stiff Shaft  Fairway:  RocketBallz #3 (15 degree) Stiff Shaft  Hybrid:  #3 (19 degree) Stiff Shaft,  Hybrid:  #5 Burner (25 degree) Stiff Shaft   Irons & Wedges: CGB Max '08 Black Steel Stiff Shaft. PW, SW, & LW. Putter: Rossa Modena...

When I was 10 years old a fellow named Ed Thompson introducted me to the game of golf and I've been a card carrying sicko for 45 years(happily)....bwgolfer

TaylorMade Burner TP 9.5* stiff shaft Driver and Taylormade 15* medal
Cleveland utilities 22*
Taylormade tour prefered irons with rifle flighted 6.0
Taylormade z groove tp wedges 52* and 58*
Rife Antigua blade putterTitlest Pro V1X, Bridgestone 3000s Black

I started fourteen months ago. Now the bug has bitten me and I'm starting to get serious about improving my game.

Mike

In 2001 The US Open came to town and my boss had an extra ticket.
He gave it to me and I watched Tiger get his @zz handed to him by Retief Goosen(sp?)

They made it look so easy, I went out and bought a $40 set of clubs from a pawn shop and learned really quickly that its not as easy as they make it look.

I only got serious about it two years ago when I found that its about the only thing I have in common withmy father-in-law. We play every chance we get now!

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

• 2 weeks later...
I started with I was about 10 (i cant remember exactly), I would pull out the big stick on every hole on a par 3 course!

I took up golf in the summer of 2001 but have had a chronic herniated disk (not related to golfing) that was really bad, constantly bothered me, & completely took me out of the game (& my pool game ) for five &-a-half years till I got tired of it & said to myself that I'm not going to let this thing stop me from playing, & continue to play through it no matter what happens. In fact, it still flares up every once in a while, especially when it's cold, & it limits my play (& improvement), but at least I can still play!

In my Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade r7 460 10.5° Fujikura RE/AX 60 D3 RF Graphite

3-Wood: TaylorMade r7 Ti 15° Fujikura RE/AX 60 D2 RF Graphite

3-Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 21° Callaway H/600 D2 RF Graphite

4-Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 24° Callaway H/600 D2 RF Graphite

5-9: TaylorMade RAC OS2 27° to 42° T-Step D3 RF Steel

PW: TaylorMade RAC OS2 27° to 42° T-Step D4 RF Steel

AW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 50°, 6° Bounce WF Steel

SW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 54°, 10° Bounce WF Steel

LW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 58°, 8° Bounce WF Steel

P: TaylorMade Rossa Daytona1 AGSI®+ 32” Blade

im 15 now, started golfing when i was 5. Played my first regulation Par 72 course when I was 8. Ya i should be a better Handicap than 8, but i dont practise much.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

started at age 11 after being a sudo caddy for a few years. Unfortunately pretty much stopped from age 19 to 22 as I was into other things.....thankfully came to my senses got back into it :D...been solid for the past decade
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

Took a few lessons as a kid and played a few times with my old man. Then I gave it up until I worked at a CC when I was in my mid 20's from there it slowly grew from just drinking with the guys on our days off hacking around to trying to get out as much as I can.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

When I was like 18 I used to play every 6 months LOL, but the last year I started to play every 8 days and I think I have a good handicap for playing only Saturday's.

Regards.

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

• 4 weeks later...
When the knees gave way and I couldnt play soccer anymore at 45.If I knew then how much I would enjoy the golf I would have taken it up years before and the knees wouldn't be shot to pieces

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

I started at 9 years old with cut down womens clubs and reading golf magazines for instruction. There was no US Kids clubs back then,,lol!

My son started golf clinics when he was 5 years old and taking lessons from a local pro. He is 10 now and his swing looks like a mini version of a Tour Players! Amazing what good instruction and proper equipment can do!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Started when I was 10, I'm now 20. Off and on of course, now I really plan on year around from now on.

In my Stand Bag
Driver- 905T 9.5* w/ Aldila NV Stiff
3-Wood- 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons 3-PW- 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

I started when I was about 8. 20 years of my life playing a game I love, but have never really got good at. I have friends that I played with regularly as a kid who dropped to low handicaps quickly, but I always remained in the average stakes. Maybe next year...

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

I lucked out...I was on the putting greens at 3...was on the driving range later the same year. When I was 4, we got a house on a golf course, and the practice tee (it was a 130 yard practice hole...no range) was quite literally in my back yard, so spent a lot of time developing what would become my swing. First "set" was a mixed bag of random cutoff clubs. First "real" set was a Chi-Chi Rodriguez getup, with a 3,5,7,9, putter, and a 2 wood. I think I was 6?

In My Bag:

Driver: Si3 380
3 & 4 Woods: Eye-o-matic Persimmons (yes...Persimmons)
Irons: 3-PW R7 TP S300Wedges: Karsten II 57* SW, Vokey 54.10 and 58.08 Spin Milled Oil CanPutter: White Hot SabertoothBall: Pro V1x"That's the easiest shot in golf....a short chip into the sand."

Note: This thread is 4912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!