IGNORED

How do you play by yourself?

Note: This thread is 4077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing solo alot lately, and if I ever shank one into the woods, or slice one into the lake, I usually just drop a new one (from where I was hitting it from), and dont take the penalty. Not that I care what the score is at the end of the day, I usually trash the card anyways..

I only ask because I got paired with a guy today who seemed really relaxed, and when I asked him if I could retake a tee shot I totally screwed up, he looked at me like I was insane.. Now, usually when I play with friends, or for anything that means something, I will never do that. But it was a one time, nice to know ya game.

Was he reacting to what you wanted to do, or to the fact that you even asked him as if he cared? If I'm playing solo or get placed in another group as long as they don't hit me with their balls or throw stuff at me or take a divot on the green I don't care too much what they do.

As to how I play, personally, I keep track and play the shot at it lays since I'm working on re-establishing my handicap. I will, at times, take a second shot off the tee just to try and correct a swing issue, but only if I'm playing solo.

He was reacting to me wanting to retake a hit. He just looked at me like I asked if I could run him over with a golf cart... I don't do it often, usually just off the tee, or really bad iron shots.

Next time, just say you are hitting a new ball, calling the first one unplayable. Nobody can prevent you from that.

During a practice round, I'll do the same, I don't write score anyways, just keep a tab in my head. If it is an ordinary round, I will of course play it or hit a new ball, making my third shot.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"He just looked at me like I asked if I could run him over with a golf cart..."
Hahahaha - I actually sat with the laptop and laughed at that comment and my 2 yr. old looked at me like I was weird.

You always risk running into a turd while playing... today just happened to be your day. What really sucks is when the course Ranger is a turd!

some rounds i don't keep score, so it doesn't matter either way. but even if i'm playing by myself i'm going to keep a proper score. sometimes i'll play multiple balls if i feel i could have hit a shot better, but i'm not going to count my first shot, cause it's pointless and it's being dishonest with myself.

Just like the above posts, for a practice round, I have no problem with people playing a second ball to re-hit a duffed shot. We are all trying to improve our game.

Just be prompt to pick up your second ball.

The interesting part of playing that other ball is that usually you get two results, either the same duff, or a pretty ball that lands right in your target zone. They both suck to watch after a bad hit. The repeat shot tells your how bad your setup really was. And the pretty shot tells you how you suck under pressure.

Of course, by you, I mean me.

if i mess up a shot ill drop one and play the shot again but i still go and play my first ball

I do this occasionally ... but typically I play what i shoot ... I was told early on that this was the only way to really know if my game is improving.

If I'm out there practicing and not keeping score I will do all kinds of things. If I'm playing a round for establishing my handicap, I rarely will hit another ball. But that's just me. To each their own. Now if I'm playing with a partner that I don't know. No way! I'm to competitive for that. But if I was the guy you were playing, I wouldn't have cared one bit.

If the ball is in play, and especially if it's visible from the tee, I play if where it lies. If the problem shot repeats itself, I add it to the list of things to work on next time I'm at the range.

If a playing partner wants to re-tee and we're not in a competition, I don't care as long as they don't hold up play. BTW, I'm not helping look for either ball.

I have been playing solo alot lately, and if I ever shank one into the woods, or slice one into the lake, I usually just drop a new one (from where I was hitting it from), and dont take the penalty. Not that I care what the score is at the end of the day, I usually trash the card anyways..

I play by the Rules of Golf regardless of the circumstances. If I'm playing a round of golf (as opposed to just practicing), then I'm playing by the rules. Since I almost never play just to practice, I play the same as if it was a competition. It wouldn't matter if I was the only person on the golf course, I still play the same way. Anything else just isn't golf.

By the way, as long as you aren't delaying play, I don't really care what YOU do. But the question you asked is what do I do.

Using the course as a place to practice is both fun and useful. Hitting hundreds of balls on the range can cause more damage than good. You are hitting balls both on course and range, only difference is you get to putt and chip, and have a good walk along with it on the course.

Since I almost never play just to practice

Really? I do that all the time. I know the circumstances are different, but pro's do it all the time. I think that is the best way to work on different things that you can't work on at the range. If I'm playing somewhere other than my home course I wouldn't do it, becuase then I'm just wasting my money.

Using the course as a place to practice is both fun and useful. Hitting hundreds of balls on the range can cause more damage than good. You are hitting balls both on course and range, only difference is you get to putt and chip, and have a good walk along with it on the course.

I couldn't agree with this more... I have a membership at my course, so it doesn't cost me anything to play anymore... in the afternoons it's pretty much just a bunch of people practicing anyways. I would say if you want to hit multiple balls go to your course in it's dead time... I like to take the opportunities when I do see people I know to play with them and play what I hit, good or bad.

Golf shots are always going to be better the second time around. It's when you only get one chance at it is when you really know if you're improving or not

Note: This thread is 4077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!