IGNORED

Favorite Irons of 2008-2010?

Note: This thread is 5039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have to go with the AP2 710's... an all around great iron. I've hit them a couple of times now... considering switching from my MP-33's to a combination of AP2/MB.

I'm thinking of a similar approach. I'd like to buy a pro combo 2 iron, and forged blades #7, 6, and 5. I'd then like to play the blades from P-7, and the combos from 6-2. As I get more and more comfortable with them, I could start to work in more blades. The golf pro here said I'm hitting the ball so high it may be time to consider brigning the flight down a bit. With a blade 7 iron, I would have a bit lower flight there, and I could toss in the 6 or 5 if I needed.

I'm thinking of a similar approach. I'd like to buy a pro combo 2 iron, and forged blades #7, 6, and 5. I'd then like to play the blades from P-7, and the combos from 6-2. As I get more and more comfortable with them, I could start to work in more blades. The golf pro here said I'm hitting the ball so high it may be time to consider brigning the flight down a bit. With a blade 7 iron, I would have a bit lower flight there, and I could toss in the 6 or 5 if I needed.

I've got plenty of options for 2 iron distance so not worried there, but I'm thinking about AP2 3-5 iron and 6-PW in MB... I just want something a little more forgiving in the long irons and and with flighted rifle shafts, I should be able to hit the long irons higher, and have them land softer.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

I've got plenty of options for 2 iron distance so not worried there, but I'm thinking about AP2 3-5 iron and 6-PW in MB... I just want something a little more forgiving in the long irons and and with flighted rifle shafts, I should be able to hit the long irons higher, and have them land softer.

I still prefer the 2 iron, I don't have a lot of confidence with fairway woods and hybrids. I just bought a Bridgestone 55-HM 2 iron, which is a forged cavity back. I'm going to get it bent upright and see how it plays.

I personally love my Cobra Pro CB/MB's but especially the MB's they have great feel and workability...but in playing a lot of collegiate events and knowing some tour guys the AP 2's have been the biggest hit

I personally love my Cobra Pro CB/MB's but especially the MB's they have great feel and workability

+1 Cobra Pro MB are some of the slickest things since sliced bread.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

I personally love my Cobra Pro CB/MB's but especially the MB's they have great feel and workability...but in playing a lot of collegiate events and knowing some tour guys the AP 2's have been the biggest hit

welcome to the forum and nice career low, and what a course to shoot it at

just checked out the Cobra CB/MB clubs... look pretty good

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

You ask a tough question. I started hunting irons in 2008, and switched out about 13 months ago. Lots of excellent irons out there, so the playoff took awhile.

I ended up getting X20s, as I was going from stiff to regular and re-engineering my swing. Didn't want to be too reckless in choice. But, if my swing had been more settled, these are the ones in the lead:

* Callaway X20Tour - Smaller head plus extra lift help in long irons, MPF = 716 (SGI) - and what feel! You know on impact if it's a poor, OK or great shot.
* Titleist AP2 - MPF = 551 (GI); with a lightweight steel shaft, these would be super (if I had $1,200 for the custom version)
* Ping I15 - better feel, better flight than I10 (which was "in the lead" at start of club hunting)
* Mizuno MP-57 - Have never hit them, but the comments by users and the described technical specs and seeing them on the shelf... Wow!

Special recognition for masterful design - I admire them but won't be playing them
* Ping S57 | * Callaway X-Prototypes

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You ask a tough question. I started hunting irons in 2008, and switched out about 13 months ago. Lots of excellent irons out there, so the playoff took awhile.

^^^ I was going to mention the Ping S57s...They are beautiful set! Right now if I didn't have my set, I'd be eyeing the I15s...with my improvement ball striking... :)

ogio.gif Black/White Ozone Stand bag, Caddytek 13.5 Black/Red Push Cart

taylormade.gif RBZ Tour 9* Stiff / ping.gifRapture 3 'metal' Titanium 14* Stiff Aldila Proto VS 'By You'
adams.gif Hybrid A2 20*3 hybrid Stiff Aldila VS / ping.gifRapture Black Dot 4-PW Stiff / cleveland.gifWedges CG11 54* SW / taylormade.gif RAC 52*, 58*Wedge / odyssey.gif  33" White Hot XG

http://www.nickentgolf.net/newweb/pr_ir-4dx_pro.shtml

One of the best irons I have ever played! After playing golf for 55 years (the last 36 as a Professional) I have seen and played some great irons. The Nickent 4DX Pro is amongest the best that I have played.

PS- I had to pay for these!

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

I gotta go with ap2's as well. They're like game improvement clubs for single digit handicappers..lol
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

MP-57s. Sweetness.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Titleist ZM

Mizuno MP 62

Srixon 701 tour

909 D2 9.5* Voodoo
906 F4 15.5* UST V2
3DX DC 19* UST SR2
AP2 3-PW PX 5.5
Vokey SM 52.08 & 58.08 DG S300 Circa '62 no. 7 NXT TourWhite Tacki-Mac Itomic Career Low: 1 over par 71

^^ I like the posts with pictures the best :)

And I love the look of the Titleist irons as well as the Mizuno 62s. I just ordered the 68s myself and can't wait to go to the range with them.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Based on everyones responses so far these all got multiple mentions, in order from most to least (needed at least 2 to make the list)...

1. Titleist AP2
2. Titleist 710 MB, Mizuno MP 57 and 62, Ping i15, Cobra Pro MB
3. Titleist AP1, Cobra Pro CB, Ping S57, Adams Pro MB Black, Callaway X Prototype

Keep the posts coming, I will update the list every so often. I figure this could be a way for someone wanting new irons, to see some popular options before demoing. Thanks so far everyone.

Based on everyones responses so far these all got multiple mentions, in order from most to least (needed at least 2 to make the list)...

AP1 for HC like us

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

I personally think my X-tours are the best going. Only because I haven't found anything better for my swing. If we are talking about looks wise, throw in the Calley Proto's and Taylor MB Smokes.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Mizuno MP 32

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

^^^

Drool!

I like that Mizuno keeps the family resemblance going through the generations.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Note: This thread is 5039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!