IGNORED

Your Favorite Driver?

Note: This thread is 3589 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know this will vary because some people remain to their favorite brands regardless of how good the driver is.

I want to know what is your favorite driver and why you enjoy it. I think over the winter I am going to purchase a driver when the '10 go on sale because of the new '11's .

Im between the new Titleist and Cobra drivers. Ive never been a huge fan of Taylor Made driver because the profile when looking down on them. However I will demo almost anything before I make the decision

I hit my driver pretty steady and know I must keep my swing in tact to have the club perform however my driver is a good 5 or so years old and I think I will get a new driver and 3 wood.

What are your opinions.

...Practice Can Never Make Perfect... Practice Makes Improvement...
 bettinardi.gif
taylormade.gifadidas.gif

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say I'm biased because I'm addicted to big long clubs, but I would really give the G15 a whirl if you like long and straight. Few quotes from golf digest (where its the performance leader)

"This is like a big porterhouse steak. It's in front of you, and you're salivating because it's so meaty and satisfying, and there's no way you're sending it back."

These days, the trick isn't to design a crowd-pleasing driver with a complex technology story; it's to design a crowd-pleasing driver with a complex technology story and not have it look like a Transformer. That's the Ping G15. It was our Performance leader because it looks and works like a golf club should for every kind of player. The high-tech features are there -- like a cool fitting system, and the way mass has been moved from the shaft to the head, helping players increase ball speed -- but they're hidden. Just the way we want it.

It looks so traditional, yet plays not so traditional. I switched from a Nike Dymo2 to a Ping G15 late last season and picked up 35 yards (also because of custom fitting, but I'm sure the head didn't hurt)

G15 10.5 Driver
G15 17 Wood
G10 24 Hybrid
G10 6-PW Irons
52, 56, 60, and 64 degree wedges Detour Newport 2 DT SoLo BallSwing Speed: 111 MPH, wish I could putt.

My "favourite" is still my Callaway BB Warbird. I leave it at home a lot these days, since I got the PING, but that old Callaway was pretty trustworthy over the years.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

r7 425 TP, but im living my new D3 aswell, they are both very very good!

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

thanks guys I forgot about PiNG im sure I wont when I start trying them out. Appreciate views from normal golfers who actually hit the clubs
...Practice Can Never Make Perfect... Practice Makes Improvement...
 bettinardi.gif
taylormade.gifadidas.gif

I've always liked Titleist. First it was 975D--still one of the best driver.
Now I use 909 D2. 9.5*. I can hit it a mile compare to old 975D.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some drivers are really easy to hit well, but only few of the current drivers demand to be as accurate as we were 15 - 25 years ago. It will not surprise that these more demanding drivers also perform better (longer) when you manage to find the sweetspot consistently.......

If your are willing to invest (time) try the Titleist 909 D2 and D3 or the Ping i15, these are just the longest drivers (with lots of control), maybe the R9 Taylormade is longer, but it only id if you can control the actually way too long shaft.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

the new nike VR one

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

TaylorMade R7 limited with the Matrix Ozik stiff shaft. I love the head of this club because it has a huge sweet spot but also looks more traditional than a lot of those monster heads these days. Also, I hit this shaft better than any other shaft on any other club i've ever owned.

What's in my TaylorMade stand bag:
taylormade.gifSuperfast TP 10.5° Matrix HD6 graphite stiff shaft
nike.gifSasQuatch 2 Steel #3 Wood: 15° Diamana SasQuatch Graphite
cobra.gifBaffler DWS Hybrid Utility Woods: 3/R 20°
cobra.gifS2 Forged irons 4-PW stiff flex steel shaftcleveland.gifCG15 satin chrome 48° gap wedge 8 bouncemizuno.gifMP T Series chrome 53° sand...cleveland.gifnike.gifbridgestone.giftaylormade.gif

r7 425 TP, but im living my new D3 aswell, they are both very very good!

Still love this club.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

TaylorMade R7 limited with the Matrix Ozik stiff shaft. I love the head of this club because it has a huge sweet spot but also looks more traditional than a lot of those monster heads these days. Also, I hit this shaft better than any other shaft on any other club i've ever owned.

more traditional..... umm was that sarcasm????

56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Simple answer ping G15, very good driver, i've tried many other model like the callaway FT-9, Taylor made R9 and nike SQ but the G15 really felt great, i bought it last summer and don't have any regrets about it. Try it and you'll see for yourself.

In my sasquatch tour stand bag i carry
G15 driver 9 degree
diablo edge 3 wood
G10 5 wood
diablo 3 hybrid X-22 (4-pw) 588 (52 degree) (60 degree) redwood putter

Everyone has their own reasons for liking one driver over another. I've been a Titleist driver fan for years. They look right to my eyes, sound right, and the ball flight is great. I have a lot of trust in my driver. Right now I like the 909 D3 at 440 cc's. The longest driver I ever played was the 905, but the 909 D3 is a little more controllable and slightly more forgiving. JMHO.

In the off chance I could find something I might like better, I tried three different Taylormades, a Ping from right off the tour, and a Callaway -- with several different shafts... and went back to the 909 D3 with a slightly different shaft because that is the club that I hit best -- but (and most everyone will agree with this) it is the shaft that makes the most different in drivers. A great head with the wrong shaft for you will not be a good driver choice, so go play different shfts or get fitted to optimize your driver choice.

RC

Cobra's are the most forgiving.
L5V has the biggest clubface out of any driver.

If you can get over the size of the head and the noise. It's a great club, straightest driver I've ever hit.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Deeper club face does not always mean more forgiving. A higher handicap should gererally use a shallow club face.

I like the G15 a lot. Still getting accustomed to it. Previously used a 2009 Cleveland Launcher, which has got to be one of the best bargains out there. You can pick them up new for $120 and barely used for $80 or so.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All (OK - 97%) of my misses are hooks, so I have to go with something with a large does of anti-hook in it.

For now that's the Ping I15.

Before that it was a Titleist 983, which is still the longest driver I've ever hit though not the most accurate.

After years and years of struggling with the driver I made a concerted effort to go out...do my research...get fitted and just buy one....no matter the price (within reason of course....) I fell in love with the Ping G15 and i15 from everything I read. It looked great, felt great and swung great.....only problem was, I couldn't hit the &^%* ball to save my life with them!! I tried them both with multiple shafts....NOTHING. Way too much spin according to the monitor. So I tried Callaway....same thing. Cleveland...same thing but a bit better. Went back to Taylormade which is one that I always struggled with. They happened to have an older R7 Superquad with the stock shaft. It looked pretty....swung nice and I rocketed the ball down the middle everytime at about 275yds. I'm 5'8" (barely) and 150lbs. I do generate decent SS at 105 but for me to put a ball out there at 275 I thought was a modern miracle. All of my numbers were exactly where they needed to be on the chart with that driver. In all honesty, I think it is ultimately responsible from dropping me down from a 15HC to a 10 trending down still.

Moral of story, try them ALL out and get fitted! You may find a diamond in the rough when you least expect it. Do not forget about the 'older clubs'. I don't care what Golf Digest says.....driver technology has not changed leaps and bounds in the last 3 years......

What's in my bag:
Superquad Driver
19* and 22* Rescue Hybrids
4-PW MP 57 Irons
CG14 52* Gap Wedge CG12 56* SW CG12 60* Lob Wedge CO3-hI push them around with my Linksmen X-7 cart.

Note: This thread is 3589 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!