IGNORED

Biggest Front 9 to Back 9 Disparity?

Fat Slice
Note: This thread is 1797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive had a 47-49 on the front (somethin in there) and a 36 on the back.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

I don't play alot maybe a couple of times amonth and usually go round in 90...sometime a little under, sometimes a little over.

Hit a 38 on the front nine (Par 72 - 36, 36). Was -1 after 6. From the 7th I was like...just got to hold on!

Not the best attitude. 52 on the back.

A) You need to hit alot of different clubs.
B) Whatever works for you.
C) It's the indian, not the arrow.
D) A 5 wood, 19* hybrid or a lob wedge.

The delta was 13 strokes
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

36/52, years ago. It started on the 10th hole after I got a lost ball and had to run back to the tee to hit again (it was a tournament). That got me all flustered and I played like a big baby for the rest of the round.

I don't know. A few months ago I shot 51 + 37 for 88. A buddy and I were playing $10 (per stroke!). Got my ass kicked on the front nine, so I concentrated on the back nine to win $50 overall.

About a year ago, I shot 53 + 37 for 90! Crap, I gotta stop shooting in the 50's on the front nine...

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 years later...

Rather than start a new thread I'll bump this one up since I think it's a good topic. Anyways this issue has bitten me twice now in the past 4 months and I think . . . well rather know now that it's a hurdle I'm going to have to get over eventually if I want to reach that next level. Four months ago I shot 35 front followed by 45 back, I was doing fine all the way through the 15th hole and then had a blowup quad on the 16th that is also the toughest hole on the course followed by a bogey and a double. Yesterday 34 front and 44 back the one thing about this is I feel some bad luck and a poor decision on 15 cost me by doing something I rarely try and it hurt me in the end. The sand traps barely have any sand right now and the recent rains have compacted it even worse so when I attempted my blast out I caught it thin and just so happens nobody saw where it went and I was 10 feet below the green, finally declared lost and hit second ball when playing partner found ball sitting in open 20 feet from where we were looking, wound up with triple on that hole. The back nine at home is probably 2-3 strokes tougher and they just changed the handicap numbers to fix some issues, rather the front using the odd numbers it's the back that uses them now and everyone likes that much better. I have no doubt that I can put two nines together there and if I would have just shot the simple 40 I did the previous time I would have come in at 74, I think the fact that I shot under par on the front gets me a little freaked out and my biggest golfing goal is to break 70 even more important than a hole in one which comes in a close 2nd.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

In 2013 it was a 36 - 44.  I could do no wrong on the first nine to shoot even and could do not right on the second for a +8.  I know I have had greater swings from front to back but this round is the most recent collapse.

It seems to me that I have more great fronts and poor backs than vice versa.  It is far easier to lose one's game mid-round than to recover one's game.

Brian Kuehn

I have shot some 9-10 stroke difference in nines over the years but not too many recently.  I didn't see where anyone mentioned this but there are courses where the difficulty of the front/back nine is noticeable and significant.  I can think of a couple around here that are designed that way it would seem.   On those particular course the difference is not due to different play but rather to different difficulty of the nine holes.  Maybe not 9-10 strokes different  but on a normal day as much as five for bogie golfers.

Butch

55 front, 40 on back. Not the same round or course, but I once took a 14 on a par 5 and the next time I played it a month later, I birdied it. Definitely my biggest swing on one hole.

46 on the front with 1 birdie. 38 on the back with 2 birdies and an eagle opportunity that turned into par. 84 on the day, which is decent for my first round of the year. Looking to get the handicap into the single digits this year as I just moved next to a course with a decent practice facility. Short game is king!

My Bag:
Driver: R11

Irons: Titliest MB

Wedge: vokey
Putter: rosa

Balls: whatever I can find

I'm sure it's something like 36/46, but I honestly can't remember.

The one that does stick in my mind is a 42/33.  Thank God it wasn't reversed, or I'd have cut my throat with a wedge.  As it is, it serves as a good reminder to keep playing hard no matter how poorly I've played to that point....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

40/52 Bethpage Black and 38/44 to miss the cut by 1 at my first state amateur tournement last year. That one still gives me nightmares.

Driver: Titleist 910d2

Irons: Mizuno MP4s kbs tour shafts

Vokey Wedges 50 54 & 58

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback

Balls: Pro v1x 

Note: This thread is 1797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!